Raising Minimum Wage - or How to Keep the Poor, Poor.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-07-2015, 01:44 PM
RE: Raising Minimum Wage - or How to Keep the Poor, Poor.
(30-07-2015 11:50 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(30-07-2015 08:01 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Also, on the vein of upward mobility for the arguments that people should somehow "upskill" themselves or "look for better jobs" etc, here is the thread I started a while back on upward mobility plus links within.

The basics boil down to, it isn't as easy to move up as people want to believe it is. And it is even harder the further down the ladder you are, like being a minimum wage employee.

And you don't see the disconnect in your logic????

You say -- it's harder for a person to go up the pay ladder, the further down they are --- and yet --- you want to put everyone at the bottom of that ladder -- by raising minimum wage.

Facepalm

Don't bother answering....

Anything you say is going to disprove itself.....

For those whose labor is not worth the minimum wage, the ladder is moved out of reach. Blacks were relegated to the ghettos because minimum wage laws priced their labor out of the market. Why hire a black kid if you have to pay him the same wages you pay a white kid? Minimum wage allowed employers to discriminate without economic consequence.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-07-2015, 02:17 PM
(30-07-2015 01:44 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Minimum wage allowed employers to discriminate without economic consequence.

Unfortunately for this "argument", discrimination in the workplace has been illegal for 51 years. You might want to keep up on the news there, bud.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
30-07-2015, 03:06 PM
(30-07-2015 01:44 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Why hire a black kid if you have to pay him the same wages you pay a white kid?
Don't understand this, why would skin colour impact the worth of a person's labour services?
It's about skills and attitude etc rather than skin colour right?
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
30-07-2015, 03:10 PM
(30-07-2015 03:06 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(30-07-2015 01:44 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Why hire a black kid if you have to pay him the same wages you pay a white kid?
Don't understand this, why would skin colour impact the worth of a person's labour services?
It's about skills and attitude etc rather than skin colour right?

Not for HeyWouldYaBlowMe.

#sigh
30-07-2015, 05:19 PM
(30-07-2015 01:44 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  For those whose labor is not worth the minimum wage, the ladder is moved out of reach. Blacks were relegated to the ghettos because minimum wage laws priced their labor out of the market. Why hire a black kid if you have to pay him the same wages you pay a white kid? Minimum wage allowed employers to discriminate without economic consequence.

I cannot even believe you said that...and I have low expectations when it comes to your posts.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
30-07-2015, 06:36 PM
[Image: a04caf364a041f0f4a46982a563d41c8.png]

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 4 users Like Revenant77x's post
30-07-2015, 07:00 PM
(30-07-2015 06:36 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  

What's good for Seattle may not be good everywhere. Cost of living in Seattle is very high compared to the typical household cost of living in the US. If the entire US had that same minimum wage, Seattle workers would be in relative poverty compared to the rest of the country by virtue of their relatively high cost of living.
30-07-2015, 07:11 PM
(30-07-2015 07:00 PM)BryanS Wrote:  
(30-07-2015 06:36 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  

What's good for Seattle may not be good everywhere. Cost of living in Seattle is very high compared to the typical household cost of living in the US. If the entire US had that same minimum wage, Seattle workers would be in relative poverty compared to the rest of the country by virtue of their relatively high cost of living.

I'm lost in this logic. How would this make them in poverty? What does that matter with respect to things like a drop in unemployment rate?

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
30-07-2015, 07:35 PM
(30-07-2015 07:11 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(30-07-2015 07:00 PM)BryanS Wrote:  What's good for Seattle may not be good everywhere. Cost of living in Seattle is very high compared to the typical household cost of living in the US. If the entire US had that same minimum wage, Seattle workers would be in relative poverty compared to the rest of the country by virtue of their relatively high cost of living.

I'm lost in this logic. How would this make them in poverty? What does that matter with respect to things like a drop in unemployment rate?

My point is that it makes sense for a high cost of living community like Seattle to have a higher minimum wage due to those costs of living. $15/hr is not the same everywhere. My point is also that taking Seattle as an example and applying it to the entire country is fallacious argumentation. And I also stated that a flat minimum wage means earning that wage in a high cost of living community makes onerelatively poorer than someone with the same wage and lower costs of living.
[+] 1 user Likes BryanS's post
30-07-2015, 07:36 PM
(30-07-2015 07:35 PM)BryanS Wrote:  
(30-07-2015 07:11 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I'm lost in this logic. How would this make them in poverty? What does that matter with respect to things like a drop in unemployment rate?

My point is that it makes sense for a high cost of living community like Seattle to have a higher minimum wage due to those costs of living. $15/hr is not the same everywhere. My point is also that taking Seattle as an example and applying it to the entire country is fallacious argumentation. And I also stated that a flat minimum wage means earning that wage in a high cost of living community makes onerelatively poorer than someone with the same wage and lower costs of living.

No one extrapolated Seattle to all of the U.S. The point is to demonstrate that the generic rhetoric that a higher minimum wage is a job killer is false.

Also, "relatively poorer" is irrelevant. Why does that matter?

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post