Raising Minimum Wage - or How to Keep the Poor, Poor.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-07-2015, 01:04 PM
RE: Raising Minimum Wage - or How to Keep the Poor, Poor.
(31-07-2015 12:44 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(31-07-2015 12:40 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Bullshit. I linked earlier to an article that showed that Seattle has the #2 restaurant market in the country, only behind San Francisco. So try again.

http://www.seattlemag.com/article/why-ar...ing-lately

Funny how the more recent reports show better numbers and the only quoted source in that is an anti-minimum wage lobbyist.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-07-2015, 01:10 PM
(31-07-2015 01:04 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(31-07-2015 12:44 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  http://www.seattlemag.com/article/why-ar...ing-lately

Funny how the more recent reports show better numbers and the only quoted source in that is an anti-minimum wage lobbyist.

You can google it, there are plenty of other sources saying the same thing...that restaurant closures have risen in Seattle.
31-07-2015, 01:16 PM
(31-07-2015 01:10 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(31-07-2015 01:04 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Funny how the more recent reports show better numbers and the only quoted source in that is an anti-minimum wage lobbyist.

You can google it, there are plenty of other sources saying the same thing...that restaurant closures have risen in Seattle.

[Image: seattle-netrestaurants.png]

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
31-07-2015, 01:22 PM
Here is a direct knockdown of your linked article.

http://www.ifyouonlynews.com/politics/so...imum-wage/

Quote:It is true that Seattle is seeing a large number of restaurants closing their doors. So, what exactly is going on, if it’s not the new minimum wage? It’s a variety of things. According to Seattle Magazine, Anthony Anton, the head of the Washington Restaurant Association, says that each year, about 17 percent of Washington restaurants go out of business, or change owners. That amounts to about 400 restaurants “in a good year,” he says.

Seattle Met highlights some of the closings, and the reasons for them. Renee Erickson is closing her Boat Street Cafe so that she can concentrate on two other restaurants, both of which she is opening this summer. Wait. She’s closing one, and opening two, and we’re supposed to believe that the one that is closing is due to a higher minimum wage?

Little Uncle is closing their restaurant because they have decided that bigger is not necessarily better. The owners say that the larger location doesn’t fit their personal and professional goals. After closing the larger venue, Little Uncle continues to do business out of their original, smaller, take-out location.

Grub, an upscale restaurant highlighted in the right-wing coverage of restaurant closings, closed simply because the owner has decided to move on. Sharon Fillingim explains on the restaurant’s Facebook page that she believes it is sometimes best for an entrepreneur to “leave at the top of [her] game.” She makes no mention of the minimum wage increase having any influence in her decision. In fact, contrary to what right wing sites would have you believe, the space occupied by Grub will not be left vacant. Fillingim introduces the new restaurant, Bounty Kitchen, that will take over from Grub, and its owner, in the same Facebook post.

[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
31-07-2015, 01:42 PM (This post was last modified: 31-07-2015 01:51 PM by Heywood Jahblome.)
(31-07-2015 01:16 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(31-07-2015 01:10 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  You can google it, there are plenty of other sources saying the same thing...that restaurant closures have risen in Seattle.

[Image: seattle-netrestaurants.png]

Your graph is irrelevant as the wage increase didn't start to kick in until April of 2015. Your graph only goes to 2014. It will be a while before we see actual numbers. Also it would have been nice if the graph was linked to the actual source data. Are these permits for full service restaurants or hot dog carts? A full service restaurant is much more likely to feel the effects of minimum wage increase over a one man hot dog cart.
31-07-2015, 01:52 PM
Why is it all conservative attacks end up being based on lies or manipulation? Even Forbes said that hit piece that chuckles linked was full of shit. It shit like that that is going to end up causing the republicans to fade further and further away so there will be no dissenting voice for when some nanny state idiot like Bloomberg wants to worry about how much soda you can buy. Try to base your arguments in reality and we would have a much better world.

In fact could one of the anti-minimum wage people please show a real world situation where what they claim will happen actually took place? Most of the western world has had Minimum wage laws for the better part of 50 years now so if what you are claiming is true it should be no problem to find real world instances.

[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
31-07-2015, 02:04 PM
(31-07-2015 01:52 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Why is it all conservative attacks end up being based on lies or manipulation? Even Forbes said that hit piece that chuckles linked was full of shit. It shit like that that is going to end up causing the republicans to fade further and further away so there will be no dissenting voice for when some nanny state idiot like Bloomberg wants to worry about how much soda you can buy. Try to base your arguments in reality and we would have a much better world.

In fact could one of the anti-minimum wage people please show a real world situation where what they claim will happen actually took place? Most of the western world has had Minimum wage laws for the better part of 50 years now so if what you are claiming is true it should be no problem to find real world instances.

I've turned down applicants because I didn't believe their productivity/value would be worth the minimum wage I would be required to pay them. Now if they would work for less, I could have found a spot for them.

In some instances it was a special needs person, in others it was people with criminal records. I remember liking one of the convicts, but why hire and take a risk when I have to pay him the same as a non convict? It was sad because here was a guy trying to turn his life around but couldn't because that state made it illegal for him to negotiate his wage down to something that made him appealing to employers.

I have seen first hand how the minimum wage hurts people. That is why I think it is immoral. It benefits some at the expense of others....and those others are the people at the bottom of ladder.
31-07-2015, 02:22 PM
(31-07-2015 02:04 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(31-07-2015 01:52 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Why is it all conservative attacks end up being based on lies or manipulation? Even Forbes said that hit piece that chuckles linked was full of shit. It shit like that that is going to end up causing the republicans to fade further and further away so there will be no dissenting voice for when some nanny state idiot like Bloomberg wants to worry about how much soda you can buy. Try to base your arguments in reality and we would have a much better world.

I've turned down applicants because I didn't believe their productivity/value would be worth the minimum wage I would be required to pay them. Now if they would work for less, I could have found a spot for them.

In some instances it was a special needs person, in others it was people with criminal records. I remember liking one of the convicts, but why hire and take a risk when I have to pay him the same as a non convict? It was sad because here was a guy trying to turn his life around but couldn't because that state made it illegal for him to negotiate his wage down to something that made him appealing to employers.

I have seen first hand how the minimum wage hurts people. That is why I think it is immoral. It benefits some at the expense of others....and those others are the people at the bottom of ladder.

So you are admitting to illegal discrimination then.

31-07-2015, 02:32 PM
(31-07-2015 02:22 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(31-07-2015 02:04 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I've turned down applicants because I didn't believe their productivity/value would be worth the minimum wage I would be required to pay them. Now if they would work for less, I could have found a spot for them.

So you are admitting to illegal discrimination then.

It is legal to discriminate against felons. The special needs people were clearly not qualified for the jobs for which they were applying. They couldn't do everything on the job description. No illegal discrimination. It was all perfectly legal discrimination. However I would have been able to find a place for them if they would be able to work for less.

I did hire one special needs girl once and just had her dust and other simple cleaning......but that was because her wage minimum wage was subsidized by a charity.
31-07-2015, 02:38 PM
(31-07-2015 02:32 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(31-07-2015 02:22 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  So you are admitting to illegal discrimination then.

It is legal to discriminate against felons. The special needs people were clearly not qualified for the jobs for which they were applying. They couldn't do everything on the job description. No illegal discrimination. It was all perfectly legal discrimination. However I would have been able to find a place for them if they would be able to work for less.

I did hire one special needs girl once and just had her dust and other simple cleaning......but that was because her wage minimum wage was subsidized by a charity.

So it has nothing to do with minimum wage then you simply do not have positions open for them. Seems to kneecap your argument then.