Raising Minimum Wage - or How to Keep the Poor, Poor.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-07-2015, 02:50 PM
RE: Raising Minimum Wage - or How to Keep the Poor, Poor.
(31-07-2015 02:38 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(31-07-2015 02:32 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  It is legal to discriminate against felons. The special needs people were clearly not qualified for the jobs for which they were applying. They couldn't do everything on the job description. No illegal discrimination. It was all perfectly legal discrimination. However I would have been able to find a place for them if they would be able to work for less.

I did hire one special needs girl once and just had her dust and other simple cleaning......but that was because her wage minimum wage was subsidized by a charity.

So it has nothing to do with minimum wage then you simply do not have positions open for them. Seems to kneecap your argument then.

Has everything to do with minimum wage. I could have created positions for them that were commensurate with a wage they would be willing to accept. However the state made it illegal for them to barter their labor at a rate employers would find appealing given their talents and backgrounds.

Minimum wage screws people who need jobs out of jobs. It is evil for the state to use the force of law to make market conditions such that certain people can't find jobs. They did exactly that with the blacks and they are still suffering the consequences today.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-07-2015, 02:53 PM
(31-07-2015 02:50 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(31-07-2015 02:38 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  So it has nothing to do with minimum wage then you simply do not have positions open for them. Seems to kneecap your argument then.

Has everything to do with minimum wage. I could have created positions for them that were commensurate with a wage they would be willing to accept. However the state made it illegal for them to barter their labor at a rate employers would find appealing given their talents and backgrounds.

Minimum wage screws people who need jobs out of jobs. It is evil for the state to use the force of law to make market conditions such that certain people can't find jobs. They did exactly that with the blacks and they are still suffering the consequences today.

This of course is a fiction. All posted drops in unemployment belie this statement and he has yet to back anything up outside of his fantasy story in which he will hire anyone willing to work for slave wages.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
31-07-2015, 03:02 PM (This post was last modified: 31-07-2015 03:05 PM by Heywood Jahblome.)
(31-07-2015 02:53 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(31-07-2015 02:50 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Has everything to do with minimum wage. I could have created positions for them that were commensurate with a wage they would be willing to accept. However the state made it illegal for them to barter their labor at a rate employers would find appealing given their talents and backgrounds.

This of course is a fiction. All posted drops in unemployment belie this statement and he has yet to back anything up outside of his fantasy story in which he will hire anyone willing to work for slave wages.

Your the one living in a fantasy bubble. But really it doesn't matter. Did you watch the video of the robot cooking food? In a few years that robot or one like it will replace the worker working the fry station at McDonald's. Next they will replace the guy working the grill. Why pay someone $15 dollars an hour plus payroll taxes and benefits when you can buy a robot for $10,000 dollars that does the same work? Walmart and other stores are already putting in robot cashiers. Instead of 10 cashiers working you now have 10 robotic cashier stations and one minimum wage associate over seeing them.

Automation is going to end this debate. Low skilled minimum wage paying jobs are on their way to extinction. That is why I advocate a universal basic income.
31-07-2015, 05:26 PM
More bullshit blackmail from the rethuglitard/Libertarians.

Raising wages isn't what hurts, raising prices because of pay raises is, and not because they have to, but because of greed.

The rich can afford to pay more, there is a huge difference between can't and don't want to.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Brian37's post
31-07-2015, 05:31 PM (This post was last modified: 31-07-2015 07:12 PM by Thumpalumpacus.)
The idea that convicts shouldn't be hired except below minimum wage is a bad one for society. What do you think they'll do when they can't make ends meet?

I've hired several over the years in my old career. They were good workers. A lower wage is no replacement for savvy interviewing skills in protecting your business.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
31-07-2015, 05:39 PM
(31-07-2015 05:26 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  More bullshit blackmail from the rethuglitard/Libertarians.

Raising wages isn't what hurts, raising prices because of pay raises is, and not because they have to, but because of greed.

The rich can afford to pay more, there is a huge difference between can't and don't want to.

Ultimately the market will determine prices, not the minimum wage. Some retailers claim they will raise prices but if the market would support that higher price, they would have done it already. Some will try hoping the market will support their new higher wages but that will be short lived. Prices will fall back to market prices and minimum wage earners don't make up much of the market to begin with.
31-07-2015, 05:53 PM
(31-07-2015 05:31 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  The idea that convicts shouldn't be hired except below minimum wage is a bad one for society. What do you think they'll do she they can't make ends meet?

I've hired several over the years in my old career. They were good workers. A lower wage is no replacement for savvy interviewing skills in protecting your business.

They don't make ends meet if they don't have a job either. Convicts have a much harder time finding a job, this is a well known phenomena. Convicts would have a much easier time finding a job if they could negotiate a wage that offsets the additional risk an employer has to take on by hiring them. This is illegal because of the minimum wage.
31-07-2015, 05:57 PM
(31-07-2015 05:53 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(31-07-2015 05:31 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  The idea that convicts shouldn't be hired except below minimum wage is a bad one for society. What do you think they'll do she they can't make ends meet?

They don't make ends meet if they don't have a job either. Convicts have a much harder time finding a job, this is a well known phenomena. Convicts would have a much easier time finding a job if they could negotiate a wage that offsets the additional risk an employer has to take on by hiring them. This is illegal because of the minimum wage.

So you propose slavery then? God you are a fucktard.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
31-07-2015, 06:16 PM
(31-07-2015 03:08 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(31-07-2015 01:11 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Having known the people I work with (we're paid above minimum wage but it's a minimum wage job), I have absolutely zero faith in them to be able to negotiate their own wage rate and not be exploited.

Minimum wage really doesn't matter. In the long run all those minimum wage jobs are going to be replaced by automation.

Not for a while, which means they do matter.

And not all of them. You can't really automate picking liter up at ungodly hours of the morning to keep the streets clean. Customer service, some people like talking to people and so there will always be that need for human to human customer service element. Call centers, you can automate that but that comes back to the previous sentence. Waitering, pumping gas etc..
Just because something can be automated doesn't mean it will.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
31-07-2015, 06:41 PM
(31-07-2015 05:39 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Ultimately the market will determine prices, not the minimum wage. Some retailers claim they will raise prices but if the market would support that higher price, they would have done it already. Some will try hoping the market will support their new higher wages but that will be short lived. Prices will fall back to market prices and minimum wage earners don't make up much of the market to begin with.

Costco don't give a shit what the minimum wage is because they pay more than that even at entry level. Last I looked my Costco stock was doing berry berry good. ... Suck it bitch.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post