Raising Minimum Wage - or How to Keep the Poor, Poor.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-07-2015, 06:44 PM
RE: Raising Minimum Wage - or How to Keep the Poor, Poor.
(31-07-2015 06:41 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(31-07-2015 05:39 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Ultimately the market will determine prices, not the minimum wage. Some retailers claim they will raise prices but if the market would support that higher price, they would have done it already. Some will try hoping the market will support their new higher wages but that will be short lived. Prices will fall back to market prices and minimum wage earners don't make up much of the market to begin with.

Costco don't give a shit what the minimum wage is because they pay more than that even at entry level. Last I looked my Costco stock was doing berry berry good. ... Suck it bitch.

They learned the lesson of Henry Ford......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-07-2015, 06:51 PM
(31-07-2015 06:44 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(31-07-2015 06:41 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Costco don't give a shit what the minimum wage is because they pay more than that even at entry level. Last I looked my Costco stock was doing berry berry good. ... Suck it bitch.

Service service service.

#sigh
31-07-2015, 07:16 PM
(31-07-2015 05:53 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(31-07-2015 05:31 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  The idea that convicts shouldn't be hired except below minimum wage is a bad one for society. What do you think they'll do she they can't make ends meet?

I've hired several over the years in my old career. They were good workers. A lower wage is no replacement for savvy interviewing skills in protecting your business.

They don't make ends meet if they don't have a job either. Convicts have a much harder time finding a job, this is a well known phenomena. Convicts would have a much easier time finding a job if they could negotiate a wage that offsets the additional risk an employer has to take on by hiring them. This is illegal because of the minimum wage.

I disagree. A lower minimum will not spur convict hiring, because exposing one's business from a criminal inside it is risky, and those who are risk-averse will not do it no matter what. I bet you wouldn't either, your words notwithstanding, because you will wait for a non-convict applicant instead ... no matter how little you're allowed to pay them.
31-07-2015, 08:54 PM
(31-07-2015 12:44 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(31-07-2015 12:40 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Bullshit. I linked earlier to an article that showed that Seattle has the #2 restaurant market in the country, only behind San Francisco. So try again.

http://www.seattlemag.com/article/why-ar...ing-lately

Article Wrote:Though none of our local departing/transitioning restaurateurs who announced their plans last month have mentioned this as an issue*, another major factor affecting restaurant futures in our city is the impending minimum wage hike to $15 per hour. Starting April 1, all businesses must begin to phase in the wage increase: Small employers have seven years to pay all employees at least $15 hourly;

The minimum wage law does not seem to be a big factor.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-08-2015, 02:12 AM
(31-07-2015 05:57 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(31-07-2015 05:53 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  They don't make ends meet if they don't have a job either. Convicts have a much harder time finding a job, this is a well known phenomena. Convicts would have a much easier time finding a job if they could negotiate a wage that offsets the additional risk an employer has to take on by hiring them. This is illegal because of the minimum wage.

So you propose slavery then? God you are a fucktard.

I forgive you for calling me a fucktard.

I don't know how you get slavery out of this. Once a convict has a job they are on the economic ladder. A record of honest hard work will allow them to command higher wage.
01-08-2015, 02:23 AM
(31-07-2015 06:41 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(31-07-2015 05:39 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Ultimately the market will determine prices, not the minimum wage. Some retailers claim they will raise prices but if the market would support that higher price, they would have done it already. Some will try hoping the market will support their new higher wages but that will be short lived. Prices will fall back to market prices and minimum wage earners don't make up much of the market to begin with.

Costco don't give a shit what the minimum wage is because they pay more than that even at entry level. Last I looked my Costco stock was doing berry berry good. ... Suck it bitch.

Costco has a business model that warrants paying a higher wage. I won't go into it here but suffice it to say, Costco isn't an ordinary retailer. Walk into a Costco and walk into a Walmart. Who has the higher caliber employees? Costco does. Some of the Walmart employees look like they just got off the boat. What do you think will happen if Walmart is forced to pay Costco wages? Are they going to continue to hire Walmart caliber employees or are they going to start looking for Costco caliber employees.

Sure you will see an improvement for those already employed by Walmart. What you won't see are all the no longer potential Walmart employees because an increase in the wage priced them out of the market.
01-08-2015, 02:23 AM
(31-07-2015 08:54 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(31-07-2015 12:44 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  http://www.seattlemag.com/article/why-ar...ing-lately

Article Wrote:Though none of our local departing/transitioning restaurateurs who announced their plans last month have mentioned this as an issue*, another major factor affecting restaurant futures in our city is the impending minimum wage hike to $15 per hour. Starting April 1, all businesses must begin to phase in the wage increase: Small employers have seven years to pay all employees at least $15 hourly;

The minimum wage law does not seem to be a big factor.

Its really to early to tell.
01-08-2015, 02:26 AM
(31-07-2015 07:16 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(31-07-2015 05:53 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  They don't make ends meet if they don't have a job either. Convicts have a much harder time finding a job, this is a well known phenomena. Convicts would have a much easier time finding a job if they could negotiate a wage that offsets the additional risk an employer has to take on by hiring them. This is illegal because of the minimum wage.

I disagree. A lower minimum will not spur convict hiring, because exposing one's business from a criminal inside it is risky, and those who are risk-averse will not do it no matter what. I bet you wouldn't either, your words notwithstanding, because you will wait for a non-convict applicant instead ... no matter how little you're allowed to pay them.

I'd hire convicted felons if it gave me a competitive advantage. That isn't possible under current laws except in rare situations where the convict has highly specialized skills that even with his felony status would warrant pay much higher than the minimum wage.
01-08-2015, 02:28 AM
(31-07-2015 06:44 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(31-07-2015 06:41 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Costco don't give a shit what the minimum wage is because they pay more than that even at entry level. Last I looked my Costco stock was doing berry berry good. ... Suck it bitch.

Henry Ford increased his wage rates because all his skilled workers were being offered higher paying jobs with competitors.
01-08-2015, 05:49 AM
(01-08-2015 02:23 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(31-07-2015 08:54 PM)Chas Wrote:  The minimum wage law does not seem to be a big factor.

Its really to early to tell.

Precisely; and that makes your contention empty rhetoric. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user