Raising Minimum Wage - or How to Keep the Poor, Poor.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-07-2015, 12:07 PM
RE: Raising Minimum Wage - or How to Keep the Poor, Poor.
(23-07-2015 10:39 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  If minimum wage is a poverty wage then they can't get out of poverty. But that is even worse when the minimum wage is that much further away from a living wage.

That is why people are advocating for it to become a living wage.
"Living wage" --- pfffftt.....

Call it whatever -- it's still the same third world solution ---

Print more money -- we'll soon all be rich.....

Hobo

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-07-2015, 12:19 PM
(23-07-2015 12:07 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(23-07-2015 10:39 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  If minimum wage is a poverty wage then they can't get out of poverty. But that is even worse when the minimum wage is that much further away from a living wage.

That is why people are advocating for it to become a living wage.
"Living wage" --- pfffftt.....

Hobo

Please stop straw manning my position by grossly oversimplifying and reducing it.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
23-07-2015, 12:35 PM
(23-07-2015 12:19 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(23-07-2015 12:07 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  "Living wage" --- pfffftt.....

Hobo

Please stop straw manning my position by grossly oversimplifying and reducing it.

He can't, that would mean he would have to know what the fuck he was talking about something Onlinebiker has never show the ability to do.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
23-07-2015, 12:38 PM
Yeah -- I'm sure you both have doctorates in economics -- and thus feel obliged to tell me what I know nothing about.....

Try more insults -- those seem the best tactic for defending your "points"...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
23-07-2015, 12:43 PM
(23-07-2015 12:38 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Yeah -- I'm sure you both have doctorates in economics -- and thus feel obliged to tell me what I know nothing about.....

I am not insulting you, I have presented articulated responses to your OP and your rebuttals that demonstrate an attempt to present a coherent opinion of how your opinion is wrong and ill-informed. You have not presented an actual rebuttal to anything I have said except to present an oversimplified and reduced version of what I have said in a poorly constructed straw man.

-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
23-07-2015, 02:01 PM
First, I don't mean to call everyone idiots so please don't take it that way, but these minimum wage arguments really frustrate me.

Clearly no economists on this thread, although BnW makes some excellent points. The left are 100% wrong in thinking that raising the minimum wage is the be all end all to poverty, but the right is also ridiculously disingenuous about their reasons NOT to raise (or do away with entirely) the MW.

A good start would be making a more progressive tax structure, $440K (or whatever it is currently) is WAY too low of a max tax bracket, and there need to be more gradients, if none at all, a near linear increase should be completely possible: maybe 10% tax rate for 15K per year, up to 90% at like 5 million AGI, and make a straight line between those two points, period. y=mx+b. My numbers are pretty arbitrary btw, just making a point is all about a linear rate, I would also support a LARGE standard tax deduction (15K?) that ties to the cost of living nationally, regularly adjusted for inflation.
Similarly, no more of this different types of income bullshit. Income is income, whether from an employer or gambling in the stock market.

Then the government needs to do a better job investing in the future: invest in technology/education/infrastructure/etc. (New Deal 2.0 baby).

Minimum wage ALSO needs to rise, but not to a "living wage", maybe $10-12 an hour. There is no reason McDonald's should have to provide a living wage to all of it's employees, NO ONE should be making a career out of McDonald's, and trying to categorize people by whether they deserve a "living wage" vice just making some extra fun money while living with Mom and Dad would be a ridiculous idea. Who determines what constitutes "need"? Living with parents? What if the parents are out of work and need help? Having dependents? Great, let's just fuck over the single people who choose not to have kids and be responsible adults. It wouldn't be remotely fair, sorry. A better way would be to just make sure they have food and maybe cheap shelter when people fall on hard times. Incentivize restaurants and grocery stores to donate leftover food or near "expiration" food. Americans waste a SHIT TON of food, we can do better (see Jon Oliver's rant last Sunday).

We need more middle class jobs, and to get there, we need to be leaders of innovation again. The US is falling drastically behind other civilized countries and we aren't doing anything about it but bicker about stupid shit. Bickering about Minimum Wage is just a distraction to keep all the sheeple from paying attention to the real issues: the dwindling middle class, weakening infrastructure, record profits of the 1%, devaluing of education and the sciences (with a special thanks to religious nutjobs on this one), etc.

I am not an economist, and don't profess to be an expert, these ideas are only a starting point and smarter people than me could take these ideas in a more viable direction, but this won't happen when we keep electing corrupt morons into government. I don't know how we reverse this terrible spiral of money corrupting politics, rich getting richer, poor getting poorer, but I know for certain that raising minimum wage is not remotely the answer, it would only provide a temporary relief to the poor, more than a month, sure, but probably not even a year, then we're right back to where we started with plenty of poverty.

I have a lot more to say about this issue actually but I'm tired of typing. Hopefully I've covered most of the bases. The economy is an exceedingly complex beast, and I've certainly oversimplified things, but it's not remotely as simple as politicians make it out to be.

"just an FYI: There are 2 kinds of people in the world -- those who divide everybody into 2 kinds of people & those who don't." Neil deGrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like MustangManda's post
23-07-2015, 02:04 PM
"The left are 100% wrong in thinking that raising the minimum wage is the be all end all to poverty..."

Straw man. No one has ever said that it would "end all poverty."

-Rick
23-07-2015, 02:07 PM
It also helps if you don't use a criticism of other people "Clearly no economists on this thread..." that is true for yourself "I am not an economist..." if you want people to believe "I don't mean to call everyone idiots..."

A few tips.

-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
23-07-2015, 02:47 PM
The key to getting the fine people in Washington to fix anything, is to figure out a way to get them to actually give a fuck about any of it.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
23-07-2015, 02:51 PM
(23-07-2015 12:38 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Yeah -- I'm sure you both have doctorates in economics -- and thus feel obliged to tell me what I know nothing about.....

Paul Krugman does and he disagrees with the position you took in the OP.

As far as defending points go I don't recall seeing anything you posted in support of your initial assertions. Krugman and others have recent publications supporting the position that raising the minimum wage has little to no net negative economic effect. What, other than your opinion, do you have to support your claims?

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post