Raising Minimum Wage - or How to Keep the Poor, Poor.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-08-2015, 01:20 AM
RE: Raising Minimum Wage - or How to Keep the Poor, Poor.
(02-08-2015 01:03 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(01-08-2015 07:46 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Anyway, I'm not denying that automation is reducing/reduced jobs, I'm saying that it's not going to eliminate them all in the foreseeable future (aka our lifetimes).

What you have seen happen in the last 10 years will pale in comparison to what happens in the next 10 years. The same will go for the 10 years after that.

My retirement plan doubled in the last ten years. 10 years after that it will have doubled again.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-08-2015, 10:56 PM
(31-07-2015 06:44 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(31-07-2015 06:41 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Costco don't give a shit what the minimum wage is because they pay more than that even at entry level. Last I looked my Costco stock was doing berry berry good. ... Suck it bitch.

They learned the lesson of Henry Ford......

Bro... Do you even grammar? FacepalmFacepalmFacepalmFacepalmFacepalm

Truth seeker.
02-08-2015, 11:08 PM
(02-08-2015 01:03 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  What you have seen happen in the last 10 years will pale in comparison to what happens in the next 10 years. The same will go for the 10 years after that.

The US unemployment rate is the lowest it's been in 10 years.
What planet do you live on ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
02-08-2015, 11:09 PM (This post was last modified: 02-08-2015 11:13 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(02-08-2015 10:56 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(31-07-2015 06:44 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  They learned the lesson of Henry Ford......

Don't hit your head too hard diddles. You need that brain cell in working order. Big Grin

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
03-08-2015, 01:05 AM
(02-08-2015 11:08 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(02-08-2015 01:03 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  What you have seen happen in the last 10 years will pale in comparison to what happens in the next 10 years. The same will go for the 10 years after that.

Unemployment figures are misleading because they fail to include people who have simply given up trying to find a job. Stop drinking the MSNBC koolaid. Work force participation is plummeting.

[Image: latest_numbers_LNS11300000_2005_2015_all...6_data.gif]

http://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LNS11300000
03-08-2015, 04:23 AM
(02-08-2015 10:56 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(31-07-2015 06:44 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  They learned the lesson of Henry Ford......

Eat me, you humorless, dimwitted fuckstick grammar fascist.

..|./

(All the fucking smilies they have, and I still have to resort to the above "middle finger" emoticon. )

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
03-08-2015, 05:53 AM
(03-08-2015 01:05 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(02-08-2015 11:08 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  The US unemployment rate is the lowest it's been in 10 years.

Unemployment figures are misleading because they fail to include people who have simply given up trying to find a job. Stop drinking the MSNBC koolaid. Work force participation is plummeting.

Where did you copy that from, and what are the inclusion criteria ? The graph, as you posted it, is meaningless. The population is aging, so we have no clue what you actually copy pasted there, sport.

03-08-2015, 10:33 AM
(02-08-2015 11:08 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  

Many economists and politicians (on all sides of the partisan divide) debate the utility of official unemployment statistics. They do not count those who have been unemployed for too long (they are presumed no longer in the job market), and they do not count so called underemployment (someone working a few hours a week because that's all they could find after losing their full time employment.

This link does a great job of explaining the difference between so called U6 and the officially reported U3 rates:
http://unemploymentdata.com/current-u6-u...ment-rate/

Both are data collected by the government, plus independent surveyors like Gallop also collect U6 and U3 data independently. Gallup thinks the U6 rate that includes long term unemployed and underemployed numbers is more like 14%.

Both U6 and U3 have been trending down, but though U3 has returned to pre-recession numbers, U6 is still 6% higher than the pre-2008 meltdown. It's not just Obama detractors that cite this data (Obama has been getting attacked from the left lately by candidate Bernie Sanders over precisely this data).
[+] 2 users Like BryanS's post
03-08-2015, 01:16 PM
(03-08-2015 05:53 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(03-08-2015 01:05 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Unemployment figures are misleading because they fail to include people who have simply given up trying to find a job. Stop drinking the MSNBC koolaid. Work force participation is plummeting.

Where did you copy that from, and what are the inclusion criteria ? The graph, as you posted it, is meaningless. The population is aging, so we have no clue what you actually copy pasted there, sport.

Just below the graph I posted is a link to the site it comes from. Pay attention next time and you won't have to ask silly questions. Some people claim it is Obama's fault labor participation is plummeting. Some of it is his fault, Obamacare surely caused some of it, but really I think most of it is caused by increasing automation.

The recovery would have been jobless with or without Obama.
03-08-2015, 09:08 PM
(01-08-2015 07:46 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(01-08-2015 09:00 AM)BryanS Wrote:  Automation doesn't eliminate all positions, but it does cut back on how many are needed. We still have bank tellers, just a tiny fraction of what we used to have due to the ATM. Self checkout aisles used to be found occasionally at some stores--now it seems every store has them, and they are expanding the quantity of them with one staff person managing now as many as 8 self checkout stations.

I frankly prefer self checkout stations over dealing with the minimum wage staff who typically run them. I can check my own items out faster than the people who work there as a career, and the lines tend to be shorter as well.

A lot of account functions that used to require a person are being automated into self help phone support with telecommunications companies. This and other automation is all happening with or without a minimum wage--only a much higher minimum wage just makes it more economical to move faster on automation.

I agree, especially with the self serve checkouts. Though one thing I hate about them is that other people go through with fucking trolley loads of shit (whereas I bike to the store and so only have an armful of stuff to fit in my bag) and take forever. Literally forever. If you have a full trolley use the fucking checkouts.

Anyway, I'm not denying that automation is reducing/reduced jobs, I'm saying that it's not going to eliminate them all in the foreseeable future (aka our lifetimes).

Speaking of automation, leave it to the Japanese to take a trend to the extreme:

Japan has a new hotel operated almost entirely by robots
http://www.businessinsider.com/henn-na-h...ees-2015-7