Raising Minimum Wage - or How to Keep the Poor, Poor.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-07-2015, 03:34 PM
RE: Raising Minimum Wage - or How to Keep the Poor, Poor.
(27-07-2015 03:30 PM)TheBear Wrote:  
(27-07-2015 03:26 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  To be fair -- gen x, y, or z didn't invent slacking....

Back in the day they had different names -- bums, hippies, ect....

But yeah - nobody owes you anything just for taking up space.....

You're right. They didn't invent slacking, but they sure have double downed on the concept and made it the norm. The lazy bastards.
You may be right....

I really don't know that many young kids these days.... Most everyone I know (except relatives) is mostly in mid/late 30's and up......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-07-2015, 03:52 PM
(27-07-2015 03:21 PM)TheBear Wrote:  These lazy, 'minimum to get by' mentality, finding the easiest way to collect a paycheck, shitty work ethic types, will soon take over the work force. These fucking millennials, who think the world owes them, (the spoiled fucks), won't do shit to truly be productive.

Wow, that's incredibly asinine and presumptuous.

We live in a society that will always need fast food workers and pizza delivery guys, and some people don't measure their success in dollars. For some people, that type of work is a step up for people in their family. Some are just trying to survive in a bad economy. Most of the minimum wage (and below for tipped workers) are women who have more limited employment opportunities in a lot of cases (no female offshore oil rig workers allowed, heavy male bias in a lot of harder labor jobs, etc).

It's this attitude that makes people feel ashamed because they are in a situation that is deemed to be lesser by other people. And most of them don't have a path out either. Education isn't as accessible as it should be. Most come from low wage households and the single biggest predictor of social status at adulthood is the social status of your parents. Ergo, born in poverty makes it highly likely you'll remain in poverty. Upward mobility is NOT as easy as you were lied to about (look up economic studies on this out of Harvard for instance).

It's always the "younger generation" that's lazy and spoiled and has a bad work ethic. It's never the fault of the preceding generations who left the world a little worse than they found it.

If you are biased and bigoted towards those in the lower income brackets and lower social classes and blankety generalize them as "lazy" or as having a "poor work ethic" and think they should just pull themselves up by the bootstraps while you simultaneously do NOT actually look at the facts for how hard that is in reality and have NO concern to try and visualize it from their perspective in an honest way, then you're a bigot and you're stupid to boot.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 3 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
27-07-2015, 04:17 PM
Right - because when my generation spent money on a college education we were expecting the economy to fucking tank, the job market to dry up (or be sent to Mexico, thanks to our shitty trade laws), and the baby boomers not to retire... I'm pretty sure it's not MY generation that fucked up our economy, expects my generation to pay them social security and leave shit for us... Dodgy My grandmother worked six months out of her life and draws social security...for being old.

My dad made $70K (not adjusted for inflation) a year in a managerial position with Wal-Mart Distribution in the early 90s sans degree. 15 years later, one of my friends from college got the same job (degree required now) and she made half that.

My friend coming to visit this weekend - TWO bachelor's degrees (one is in athletic training, the other in biology). He works one full time job and two part time. He earned the degree in biology while working full time with one part time job. He's in the middle of applying to med school. I hardy call that lazy.

But go ahead, generalize and call my generation lazy and I'll call the baby boomers self absorbed bastards that destroyed our country.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 6 users Like Nurse's post
27-07-2015, 04:23 PM
(27-07-2015 04:17 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Right - because when my generation spent money on a college education we were expecting the economy to fucking tank, the job market to dry up (or be sent to Mexico, thanks to our shitty trade laws), and the baby boomers not to retire... I'm pretty sure it's not MY generation that fucked up our economy, expects my generation to pay them social security and leave shit for us... Dodgy My grandmother worked six months out of her life and draws social security...for being old.

My dad made $70K (not adjusted for inflation) a year in a managerial position with Wal-Mart Distribution in the early 90s sans degree. 15 years later, one of my friends from college got the same job (degree required now) and she made half that.

My friend coming to visit this weekend - TWO bachelor's degrees (one is in athletic training, the other in biology). He works one full time job and two part time. He earned the degree in biology while working full time with one part time job. He's in the middle of applying to med school. I hardy call that lazy.

But go ahead, generalize and call my generation lazy and I'll call the baby boomers self absorbed bastards that destroyed our country.

I am trying to point out that the narrative is always the same. The previous generation fucked up the world, and the next generation is lazy and will fuck it up worse.

As long as we keep applying the same repetitive generalizations instead of taking responsibility, we'll remain in that same repetitive cycle.

The boomer generation didn't inherit a perfect world, but they didn't leave us one either. The current generation is no more lazy or morally bankrupt or rebellious than the last.

-Rick
[+] 4 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
28-07-2015, 09:48 AM
(27-07-2015 03:52 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(27-07-2015 03:21 PM)TheBear Wrote:  These lazy, 'minimum to get by' mentality, finding the easiest way to collect a paycheck, shitty work ethic types, will soon take over the work force. These fucking millennials, who think the world owes them, (the spoiled fucks), won't do shit to truly be productive.

Wow, that's incredibly asinine and presumptuous.

We live in a society that will always need fast food workers and pizza delivery guys, and some people don't measure their success in dollars. For some people, that type of work is a step up for people in their family. Some are just trying to survive in a bad economy. Most of the minimum wage (and below for tipped workers) are women who have more limited employment opportunities in a lot of cases (no female offshore oil rig workers allowed, heavy male bias in a lot of harder labor jobs, etc).

It's this attitude that makes people feel ashamed because they are in a situation that is deemed to be lesser by other people. And most of them don't have a path out either. Education isn't as accessible as it should be. Most come from low wage households and the single biggest predictor of social status at adulthood is the social status of your parents. Ergo, born in poverty makes it highly likely you'll remain in poverty. Upward mobility is NOT as easy as you were lied to about (look up economic studies on this out of Harvard for instance).

It's always the "younger generation" that's lazy and spoiled and has a bad work ethic. It's never the fault of the preceding generations who left the world a little worse than they found it.

If you are biased and bigoted towards those in the lower income brackets and lower social classes and blankety generalize them as "lazy" or as having a "poor work ethic" and think they should just pull themselves up by the bootstraps while you simultaneously do NOT actually look at the facts for how hard that is in reality and have NO concern to try and visualize it from their perspective in an honest way, then you're a bigot and you're stupid to boot.

Bullshit.

I see it every day where I work. Slacking isn't the exception to the rule. It's the norm. And these people are making more than $15 an hour already. It has nothing to do with any bias or bigotry against the poor on my part. Nothing could be further from the truth. Keep your day job, because mind reading isn't your thing.
28-07-2015, 09:50 AM
(28-07-2015 09:48 AM)TheBear Wrote:  
(27-07-2015 03:52 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Wow, that's incredibly asinine and presumptuous.

Bullshit.

I see it every day where I work. Slacking isn't the exception to the rule. It's the norm. And these people are making more than $15 an hour already. It has nothing to do with any bias or bigotry against the poor on my part. Nothing could be further from the truth. Keep your day job, because mind reading isn't your thing.

So, slacking is a new phenomenon?

-Rick
28-07-2015, 10:27 AM
(28-07-2015 09:50 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(28-07-2015 09:48 AM)TheBear Wrote:  Bullshit.

So, slacking is a new phenomenon?

Apparently it's the colloquial version of malingering....

Just more soft, imprecise language -- like "living wage" -- which means exactly "something more than minimum, but we're not exactly sure what"....In other words - diddly squat....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
28-07-2015, 10:41 AM
(28-07-2015 10:27 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(28-07-2015 09:50 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  So, slacking is a new phenomenon?

Apparently it's the colloquial version of malingering....

Just more soft, imprecise language -- like "living wage" -- which means exactly "something more than minimum, but we're not exactly sure what"....In other words - diddly squat....

A Living Wage means one able to provide the basics of life ie shelter and food something the current minimum wage does not. You would know this if you had bothered to actually taken time to understand the issue.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
28-07-2015, 10:46 AM
[Image: c6d69ce4ca31f2532c3ecfc97bc01efc.png]

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
28-07-2015, 11:42 AM
(28-07-2015 10:41 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(28-07-2015 10:27 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Apparently it's the colloquial version of malingering....

A Living Wage means one able to provide the basics of life ie shelter and food something the current minimum wage does not. You would know this if you had bothered to actually taken time to understand the issue.

That's as absolutely bullshit as "politically correct" or "family values"...

It means nothing..

I live on WAY below a wage of 40 hours a week at minimum wage -- and believe me, I'm not going hungry or cold..... How much money a person needs isn't something determined by the government -- but by the resourcefulness and abilities of an individual. There's just a lot of people who are morons with their money. Need proof?? Look at the huge industry in "quick loans" --- and "credit card relief agencies" that have flourished in the last 20 years --- that's people living outside their means.

"Living Wage" is just more political fellatio -- to garner votes.

and you fell for it.

[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post