Raising a Freethinking Child

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-03-2011, 11:48 AM
RE: Raising a Freethinking Child
TTA did a podcast yesterday named after your thread. Congrats on your god-like powers of influence.

Raising a Free-Thinking Child Podcast

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-03-2011, 12:21 PM

I prefer fallen angel powers. Smile

Yes, I listened to the podcast live as per usual. I was impressed. It was comforting to discover many parents struggle with this same issue. So far, my kid is only just begining to explore other options. He is on the right track... I'm going to slowly share my ideals with him. If in the end, he chooses religion, that's ok. As long as he has options, makes his own conclusions, and is happy/healthy/productive, then I feel I've done my part as a parent to guide him to his OWN identity. Smile
Quote this message in a reply
14-03-2011, 01:01 PM
One of the reasons (there are many) why I refuse to procreate is that I don't really have a solid answer to this question.

What bothers me most about my religious upbringing is that matters of faith were presented to me as matters of fact.

At some point, I would suggest having a discussion with his father. Tell him that your son is asking questions, and that for the sake of your own honesty and integrity, that you're going to give a truthful answer. Or, better yet, ask the father what he wants you to tell your son, and go from there. Would the father want you to lie to your son? I suspect not.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-03-2011, 01:31 PM
I actually as a child (8 years old) gained the view that it is immoral to procreate. I couldn't believe the unspeakable evils of bearing a child into a world so horrible. I felt that the only moral way to raise a child was to raise one that was already forced into this world, rather than force one to live yourself. I have gotten over the world being horrible a little, but I still view adoption better than regular procreation, since those children already have needs whereas your unborn children are unborn until they are conceived.

Just my view on whether I want kids or not and how. I don't seriously call mothers immoral for bearing children or anything. Nor did I as a child. I just couldn't find it to be a proper action for me to do. As a child I believed that no matter how true I felt something was it was my truth, so I rarely pushed anything on anyone else. Probably because I was basically a hermit rarely interacting with others and I knew they didn't agree with me.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
15-03-2011, 02:08 AM
If the father has the right to tell his children his beliefs, the mother also has the right to tell her children her beliefs. If it isn't a two way street, speak up and make it into one.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
15-03-2011, 03:37 AM
I was a single parent who raised a freethinking child. I simply never took her to church or hid that I was an atheist from her. When she asked me about religion and/or God (of course she had friends who were in religious families, and even went to various churches with them on occasion) I told her my opinion that God did not exist and the Bible was a work of fiction, but that she was free to make up her own mind about it. My daughter is more capable than most people of logical reasoning, and at age 23, is free of any delusions regarding the topic. I don't believe I "programmed" or subverted her ability to reach her own conclusions; I had most of her friends and family, societal acceptance of religion in general, and the constant media bombardment of Christian propaganda stacked against my lone voice, so the other side certainly had it's influence on her. I simply explained my own beliefs and values as any religious parent would have. I'm glad to say logic and reason won the battle.

The way to see by Faith, is to shut the eye of Reason. - Ben Franklin