Raising a child with a believer

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-12-2013, 08:55 AM
RE: Raising a child with a believer
(05-12-2013 11:14 PM)Yoh Wrote:  Thank you all for your answers. I do dislike religion but I don't think it would be enough for me to break up with my girlfriend. We're both at our 20's and we've been together for 5 years.

I told her that we should teach our kid not the "answers", but teach them how to question and how to doubt. And let them decide on their own especially as they get older. And she was fine with it.

She's not really "religious" anyway. She's just like, a mum who doesn't go to the gym, but wants to teach her kid that going to the gym is good for their health. If you get what I mean.

Be careful in those areas that are the very foundation of a relationship:
Money
Sex
Religion
Child-rearing

Love does not conquer all. It just doesn't.
If you two can come up with some agreements regarding how to raise the children - and then STICK to those agreements - I think you'd be fine. But work it out if you can.
Back when our girls were little the hubby wanted us to put them in Catholic School. Being Pagan nothing upset me more.......even the suggestion was appalling to me really. But we dug deeper and figured out *together* why he was looking at that as a solution. Basically we reached a couple of conclusions:
(1) We didn't want to teach our kids WHAT to think but rather HOW to think.
it's an important distinction - and we AGREED on that which was major
and
(2) If you NEED religion to teach your kids right from wrong - You probably shouldn't be parents. Hubby and I agreed on that too.

Discuss and look for the things about child-rearing that you DO agree with - stick to those and let that help outline what you do next.
Our girls Did run into a bit of flack growing up - not going to church like their friends - but we all muddled through just fine. And they turned out marvelous really. I'm very proud of my daughters and we managed without religion of any sort.

The big thing with me (as a parent) is that I did not think it's right to decide FOR someone what their religion (if any) is.......... that's unfair to do that to a child.

Good luck!!

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
06-12-2013, 08:58 AM
RE: Raising a child with a believer
(05-12-2013 11:14 PM)Yoh Wrote:  Thank you all for your answers. I do dislike religion but I don't think it would be enough for me to break up with my girlfriend. We're both at our 20's and we've been together for 5 years.

I would encourage you to read about the sunk cost fallacy. I think it might help in your decision.
http://youarenotsosmart.com/2011/03/25/t...t-fallacy/

In my opinion I would run like the wind. I am raising children with a believer. Not very easy, specially if they hold to ideals (dogma) over facts.
Good luck

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply