Raising a lil free thinker

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-08-2012, 03:19 PM
Hey everyone! My fiance and I are starting to discuss futures plans and children. We have already decided that our child will be raised an atheist. My question is how do you go about doing this when they will certainly be bombarded with religion by society on a daily basis, how do you combat that? Are you in the process of raising your child to be an atheist, or have you done it already? Is it even a question? Any thoughts, advice, or opinions would be appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like MidnightKat's post
24-08-2012, 03:40 PM
RE: Raising a lil free thinker
Usually atheist babies get eaten before age 2 so I'm afraid I don't have much advice to give. Blush

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
24-08-2012, 03:43 PM
(24-08-2012 03:40 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Usually atheist babies get eaten before age 2 so I'm afraid I don't have much advice to give. Blush

I thought we're only supposed to eat theists' babies. Sadcryface

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-08-2012, 03:47 PM
(24-08-2012 03:43 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(24-08-2012 03:40 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Usually atheist babies get eaten before age 2 so I'm afraid I don't have much advice to give. Blush

Welcome to the real world, buddy. Evil_monster

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
24-08-2012, 03:48 PM
(24-08-2012 03:43 PM)Chas Wrote:  

They all taste the same after a while.

It'll be a while before your little tyke can read, but this is the sort of resource I should think free-thinking parents would want to have on the shelf.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Magic-Reality-...1439192812

[Image: Magic-of-reality.jpg?9d7bd4]

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 4 users Like Erxomai's post
24-08-2012, 03:57 PM
(24-08-2012 03:47 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(24-08-2012 03:43 PM)Chas Wrote:  I thought we're only supposed to eat theists' babies. Sadcryface
Welcome to the real world, buddy. Evil_monster

No, I'm sticking to an atheist-free diet. I'm a theistore/theistarian.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
24-08-2012, 06:12 PM
Honestly I'd around 6 or 7 they are able to listen kind of, before that its basically just keeping them alive, safe, and from destroying everything you own.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 3 users Like fstratzero's post
24-08-2012, 06:18 PM
I should think the simple fact of never taking a child to church, Sunday school, camp, VBS, AWANA, youth group, will pretty much do the trick. I don't think you need to worry about a kid becoming a mindless minion of YWHW as long as they stay away from the cutesy flannel graph kids' bible stories and craft Popsicle stick crosses. They may get asked a time or two if they believe in god, but if you don't encourage blind faith, I can't see what there would be to worry about in this area of life. The fact you care speaks volumes of you both as future parents. Thumbsup

~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
24-08-2012, 07:19 PM
You "raise a child to be atheist" in the same way you "raise them" to not believe in Santa Clause. Every year, we're all bombarded with pictures and talk of a jolly old man in a red suit. And yet, after a while, you realize that Santa is nonsense and leave him in your past.

I would imagine it's kind of like that. Don't teach your child to "be atheist"; simply teach it to be reasonable and to think critically. The Atheism will come naturally (they're born without a belief in God to begin with). Eventually, God will be no different than Santa or the Easter Bunny.

Atheism, after all, is not a doctrine to which your child must adhere. It's just a lack of belief in deities. I wouldn't raise my child "to be atheist" any more than I'd raise it to be a non-Republican or a non-Marxist. Like I said, just teach the kid(s) to be rational and the Atheism should come on it's own. Rationality is the important part. Not Atheism.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
[+] 7 users Like Misanthropik's post
24-08-2012, 07:31 PM
When the kid's pet dies... or grandparents (and it's both sad and funny that I'm grouping the two), avoid the line about them going to heaven where they're looking down at them. The last thing a kid needs as it's entering puberty is the thought of their grandparents watching them masturbate.

Not sure if a pet would be that fussed.
[+] 4 users Like Red Celt's post