Raising a lil free thinker

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-08-2012, 07:55 PM
RE: Raising a lil free thinker
(24-08-2012 07:31 PM)Red Celt Wrote:  When the kid's pet dies... or grandparents (and it's both sad and funny that I'm grouping the two), avoid the line about them going to heaven where they're looking down at them. The last thing a kid needs as it's entering puberty is the thought of their grandparents watching them masturbate.

Not sure if a pet would be that fussed.

Yeah, I am not sure their dead pussy (cat) would mind that much either.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-08-2012, 08:03 PM
(24-08-2012 07:55 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Yeah, I am not sure their dead pussy (cat) would mind that much either.

Pussy close-up (don't click if you're under 18... or don't like pussies)

[Image: pussycloseup.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Red Celt's post
24-08-2012, 08:06 PM
(24-08-2012 08:03 PM)Red Celt Wrote:  
(24-08-2012 07:55 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Yeah, I am not sure their dead pussy (cat) would mind that much either.

Pussy close-up (don't click if you're under 18... or don't like pussies)

[Image: pussycloseup.jpg]

I just had the strangest boner right now.....Confused

The question is: What caused it?Tongue

[+] 2 users Like Atothetheist's post
24-08-2012, 08:23 PM
(24-08-2012 08:06 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  I just had the strangest boner right now.....Confused

That picture has been amongst the archived images on my PC since 1997. That's the first time that I've had the opportunity to re-use it. I hope that it was worth the wait. It's still as funny as the first time I saw it.
[+] 1 user Likes Red Celt's post
24-08-2012, 08:25 PM
(24-08-2012 08:23 PM)Red Celt Wrote:  
(24-08-2012 08:06 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  I just had the strangest boner right now.....Confused

That picture has been amongst the archived images on my PC since 1997. That's the first time that I've had the opportunity to re-use it. I hope that it was worth the wait. As funny as the first time I saw it.

Shit... It was so worth keeping that picture until you had the chance to use it.

For some reason, I feel funnier now...

Is it because I forged a relationship with Erx in the Positive comment thread?

Hobo I ain't gay, I am just testin' dem watersHobo

(Full Homo, Erxy.)

Rolleyes

[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post
25-08-2012, 02:18 AM
Hey there OP. I just happened to be on tonight and saw your concern about possible trolls. This is definitely just the group acting like fools. This is the non serious joking where they don't want people upset. And info comes here and there. For me being introduced to the greek gods first was plenty. I probably would've followed that religious group if it was the one indoctrinating me as a little kid. My family was religious but baptists seem to find ancient greek silly.

Don't raise your kid to be an atheist, raise them to be skeptical. From the beginning make sure to encourage them to ask why. Ask them their opinions of things. Make sure they are thinking about how something might effect them. Make it obvious to them from the beginning that there are plenty of religions. Nothing wrong with looking at a few religious documents as stories from time to time. Pick ones the kids will like.

If you want an easy answer then IM Stark Raving on here. He knows how to raise kids.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 4 users Like Lilith Pride's post
25-08-2012, 02:30 AM
Ok, serious time:

Try not to influence them that much, but gently guide them onto a path of Learning. Convey to them, when they are ready, that school is important, and facts are the way to realistically percieve the world around you.

Teach the critical thinking skills, and sometimes test them on it, early on, you can even make it a game.

Try not to raise him into an atheist, but raise him to be smart enough to make a critical decision when the time comes.

I would highly reccommend exposing him to myths, eventually, and try to see if he can critically think his way to a conclusion about this myth.

The best thing you can do as a parent, is to let the kid decide in the end.

Ever heard the expression: You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink?

Its the same thing. In the end, him being an atheist is his choice, the best you can do is supply him with all of the materials, and the information needed to make a logical, well-informed choice.
(Sorry if I said him, I realized just now that I only put the male, and not the female, I hope you can exuse it this one time.)
Long post short: When the time is right, communicate with him, give him the materials to be an intelligent, logical person, but also give him space to think it through, people often feel pressured to do what their parents want, but not what they want. If being an atheist is what HE chooses, he is more likely to be committed to the position rather than if he was pressured, or indoctrinated to believe, or disbelieve it.

[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post
25-08-2012, 05:36 AM
found it:

You are not raising an "Atheist" really.
You are raising a child that questions things.
If you "teach atheism" you are no better than someone who teaches religion, because you teach things as facts without getting that child to think on it's own.
What you want is to raise a person that reads and learns and comes to informed conclusions that are made of facts and logic, not of phantasy and faith.
That is what your goal should be.

We are going to raise a relgion free child as well, and we are going to be in a highly religious country at that point as well.
We have been talking about it a lot already and I am sure that there will be more discussions on how to approach this topic once the baby is on the way, then again when it goes to day care, then again once it reaches school age, and once again when it become a teenager, and many times in between.
I think the most important thing is, stay available for EVERY topic and talk with your kid. Teach it how to research and how to know the difference between a fact and wishful thinking.
Don't make religion a taboo or forbidden topic, don't load it with hate. Just treat it as every other phantasy. When it comes home from school and tells you that the classmates told it that the boogyman is under the bed, you will find go and check under the bed and in every dark corner of the room if there is really a boogy man. And you will have to treat the topic of religion kind of the same, just more frequently because people talk about religion more than about the boogyman (depending on age haha).

I hope that helps

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
[+] 3 users Like Leela's post
25-08-2012, 05:58 AM
(24-08-2012 08:03 PM)Red Celt Wrote:  or don't like pussies

[Image: tumblr_m8i8s5IGHp1rtx6bf.jpg]

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
[+] 2 users Like Logica Humano's post
25-08-2012, 06:17 AM
(24-08-2012 03:19 PM)MidnightKat Wrote:  Hey everyone! My fiance and I are starting to discuss futures plans and children. We have already decided that our child will be raised an atheist. My question is how do you go about doing this when they will certainly be bombarded with religion by society on a daily basis, how do you combat that? Are you in the process of raising your child to be an atheist, or have you done it already? Is it even a question? Any thoughts, advice, or opinions would be appreciated.

Ya know... I have serious concerns about this when it comes to my own son.. he's 9 years of age... he'll be 10 come Janurary.

He spent a month with me this summer... and one of the things we talked about was ... god. He said he thinks that there is a god... but when I asked him questions like "how do you know this god is real?" he couldn't answer...

I felt that the best way I could educate my son was to tell him to search for the truth.. research... question what was said to him.. along with showing him some video's that pretty much expanded on the influence of questioning everything he is exposed to.

I showed him videos on evolution.. showed him videos on astronomy.. showed him science videos on the evolution of our solar system.. our galaxy.. and I'd have to say .. after he was with me for his summer break... I asked him again.. "you still believe in some god?" his answer was, "I don't know"

Now it's obvious from the example of my reality that I'm not a teacher myself.. but I'm very able of using tools such as the videos available to help teach and influence my son on what the truth is......

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
[+] 3 users Like ddrew's post