Raising a lil free thinker

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-08-2012, 05:22 PM
RE: Raising a lil free thinker
Why are there pictures of a naked fat man and cartoon boobs in this thread? I'm confused.

Also, I second the authoritative parenting style.

There is a secular/freethinker summer camp for kids called Camp Quest. It's a good time to be raising atheist kids, things are getting better.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like PurpleChimp's post
25-08-2012, 05:28 PM
(25-08-2012 05:22 PM)PurpleChimp Wrote:  Why are there pictures of a naked fat man and cartoon boobs in this thread? I'm confused.

Welcome to TTA!

The Land of Derailing.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
25-08-2012, 05:45 PM
I am trying my hardest to get my first ever split.

I picked a bad one to to,lol.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
25-08-2012, 05:57 PM
(25-08-2012 05:45 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  I am trying my hardest to get my first ever split.

I like the new avatar, dude.

Shall we call you A-squared now?

25-08-2012, 06:00 PM
I feel bad that this thread got derailed. I think she really wanted some feedback on what worked with other people and their kids. This might be better placed in health and psychology.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
25-08-2012, 06:01 PM
(25-08-2012 05:28 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(25-08-2012 05:22 PM)PurpleChimp Wrote:  Why are there pictures of a naked fat man and cartoon boobs in this thread? I'm confused.

Welcome to TTA!

The Land of Derailing.

I was under the assumption that the matter had already been effectively debated.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
25-08-2012, 06:02 PM
(25-08-2012 06:00 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  I feel bad that this thread got derailed. I think she really wanted some feedback on what worked with other people and their kids. This might be better placed in health and psychology.

She got a lot of useful information, Ghost and PurpleChimp have been extremely concise.

DLJ...

Just keep callin me what you want, I don't really care, as long as you feel comfortable using that name.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
25-08-2012, 07:44 PM
(25-08-2012 05:45 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  I am trying my hardest to get my first ever split.

Threads are very rarely split so you may be waiting a while.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
25-08-2012, 08:30 PM
My feeling is that the world needs sceptics more than it needs atheists. The world needs people who know how to dismiss demonstrably false ideas and accept demonstrably true ideas. I think it also needs people who prefer not to accept ideas that are not demonstrably true.

I see the most valuable kind of atheism as being an outcropping of scepticism. I don't think it is valuable to tell your child what to think. I prefer to teach them to question what they are taught and to use critical thinking skills while doing so, even if that means coming to different conclusions than mine.

If I am expressing my view on a particular topic I prefer to ask a question and be asked questions or to pose my ideas as "some people believe" or "this is what I think". I don't want to tell my children to be atheists, but I'm pretty comfortable with at least teaching them what it means to be atheist and teaching them how this relates to an overall sceptical world view that seeks to minimise the negative impacts of our inherent biases and cognitive limitations.

My children are 6 and 3, so it's early days yet in this process.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post
25-08-2012, 08:36 PM
(24-08-2012 03:19 PM)MidnightKat Wrote:  Hey everyone! My fiance and I are starting to discuss futures plans and children. We have already decided that our child will be raised an atheist. My question is how do you go about doing this when they will certainly be bombarded with religion by society on a daily basis, how do you combat that? Are you in the process of raising your child to be an atheist, or have you done it already? Is it even a question? Any thoughts, advice, or opinions would be appreciated.

I don't think it's possible to "raise a child to be atheist." Sam Harris said "Atheism has no content. Being an atheist is like being a non-astrologer. No one gets taught to be a non-astrologer. You just don't get convinced by astrology."

However, in the true spirit of secularism, I would suggest raising your children to be tolerant of other people's beliefs, and allow then to make up their own minds when they're old enough.

publius2k4

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
[Image: tumblr_lvj8iyIABB1r2fzujo1_500.gif]