Raising a lil free thinker

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-08-2012, 03:34 PM
Raising a lil free thinker
(26-08-2012 02:45 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(26-08-2012 12:29 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Oh, no! Someone mentioned Sam Harris! He's like ipecac!

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt

Still awaiting your answer on what you don't like about Sam Harris.

Penis envy. Drinking Beverage

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-08-2012, 03:35 PM
RE: Raising a lil free thinker
(26-08-2012 03:22 PM)Ghost Wrote:  PLEASE! STOP MENTIONING THAT NAME!

Is it not clear that the mention of that name makes me projectile vomit uncontrollably or causes my head to explode? Why you wanna do me like that?!?!?!?!?!

Matt

Because your unexplained opinions are really just annoying.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-08-2012, 03:42 PM (This post was last modified: 26-08-2012 10:17 PM by fstratzero.)
Sam Harris
[Image: samharris.jpg]
Sam Harris

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
26-08-2012, 05:30 PM
(26-08-2012 03:35 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(26-08-2012 03:22 PM)Ghost Wrote:  PLEASE! STOP MENTIONING THAT NAME!

Is it not clear that the mention of that name makes me projectile vomit uncontrollably or causes my head to explode? Why you wanna do me like that?!?!?!?!?!

Matt

Because your unexplained opinions are really just annoying.

He obviously hates the majority of atheist speakers.

Violence and Hatred and Sociopathy,

Logica

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
[+] 2 users Like Logica Humano's post
26-08-2012, 09:52 PM (This post was last modified: 26-08-2012 09:57 PM by Noelani.)
I second reading Parenting Beyond Belief and Raising a Freethinker by Dale McGowan. There are a lot of blogs and facebook groups out there for parents raising freethinkers. In McGowan's books he talks about raising your children to be religiously literate. To know about the different kinds of religion, what they believe, who they worship and who are the main characters. I think this is good for many reasons. He talks about some of the reasons here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNWcLfgYab0

I would also recommend Positive Parenting by Jane Nelson. She has written many for different age groups.
Nurture Shock by Po Bronson
Maybe even throw in a couple child dev. classes if you can. It helped me tremendously.

ETA: We just checked out In the Beginning Creation Stories from Around the World by Virginia Hamilton. It's a really cool childrens book with amazing pictures. In it are 25 creation stories from around the world throughout time. A great intro for what myths are.
[+] 1 user Likes Noelani's post
26-08-2012, 11:07 PM
My husband's parents are Catholic and Lutheran. My mother was a Jehovah's Witness, and she raised me in that religion, but I never cared for any of it and I recently convinced her to leave it. She still believes in God, however. I'm atheist, and my husband is agnostic at best (he says he just doesn't care), so we'll do our best to raise our child to appreciate science and logical thinking, but we know he'll be exposed to religion by our parents. To be honest, while we're already doing our best to come up with ways to explain it to him when he inevitably comes home asking us what God is, we worry we may not do a good job. I think the best any parent in our situation can do is try to encourage a love of learning and thinking, and hope our children will make good choices when they're old enough to understand.
27-08-2012, 07:16 AM
Logica.

<error message 6UMT> The user you are trying to troll is better than you and has no time for your foolishness. Please do not try again later. </error message 6UMT>
27-08-2012, 11:45 AM

Don't worry, Ghost. It will all be okay.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
[+] 2 users Like Logica Humano's post