Raising an atheist child

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-05-2014, 08:29 AM
RE: Raising an atheist child
(09-05-2014 08:05 AM)John Wrote:  
(09-05-2014 07:56 AM)Chas Wrote:  "Mom, we don't agree with your religious views and we won't be teaching them to Junior. I ask you not to do so, either."

If only life were that easy. Dodgy

When people consider it their obligation to "bring others to Jesus", then there's no room for "I have my views, you have yours, let's settle at that."

It can be enforced.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-05-2014, 09:30 AM
(09-05-2014 08:29 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(09-05-2014 08:05 AM)John Wrote:  If only life were that easy. Dodgy

When people consider it their obligation to "bring others to Jesus", then there's no room for "I have my views, you have yours, let's settle at that."

It can and should be enforced.

Fixt.

There comes a point where you become the adult and make your own choices and you stand firm in them. Mom might get angry, feelings hurt, etc, but that is her business. When you become responsible for another human (child) it's time to own your choices.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
09-05-2014, 09:39 AM
(09-05-2014 08:29 AM)Chas Wrote:  It can be enforced.

Depends on the recipient, and on how far you're ready to go with it. Even though I haven't yet contributed anything on the progeny frontier, I've had some serious thought on whether it were even feasible to have my fundy mother a part of her would be grand-children's life. Some people have difficulties when it comes to respecting other people's views, it's all for the greater good in their mind what they do -- and my mum is definitely one of those. On the other hand, the thought of denying grandparents from my children saddens me to an equal extent. Only bad and worse options on the table. No

Τί ἐστιν ἀλήθεια?
09-05-2014, 09:53 AM
(09-05-2014 09:39 AM)John Wrote:  

Depends on the recipient, and on how far you're ready to go with it. Even though I haven't yet contributed anything on the progeny frontier, I've had some serious thought on whether it were even feasible to have my fundy mother a part of her would be grand-children's life. Some people have difficulties when it comes to respecting other people's views, it's all for the greater good in their mind what they do -- and my mum is definitely one of those. On the other hand, the thought of denying grandparents from my children saddens me to an equal extent. Only bad and worse options on the table. No

Grandparents who bully children with the idea of hell, don't deserve contact. You are doing the child a favor by not letting the crazy in their life.

In actuality, the grand parents can be trained. Visits end abruptly, and the reason why clearly stated, will change many to follow the rules.

It becomes a " I'm going to take my ball and go home" situation, especially in the beginning. And they quickly learn if they want to play ball with you, they must follow your rules. It's not always pretty, mind you.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
09-05-2014, 02:20 PM
(09-05-2014 09:39 AM)John Wrote:  

Piss off an adult or damage a child. Consider

How is that even comparable? Shocking

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-05-2014, 02:55 PM
(09-05-2014 02:20 PM)Chas Wrote:  Piss off an adult or damage a child. Consider

How is that even comparable? Shocking

It boils down to how much of a damage it really could turn out to be, it's not so clear cut. For one thing, my dad is secular, and even though my mum's a fundy, she ain't one of those Jesus camp fundies, who threaten you with hell constantly. She's more like one of those "Jesus loves you, but if you don't love him back..." type of people. Rather sneaky, and religion is constantly on her mind, and she's not shy to bring it forth. Overall, not a positive influence, I guess. Used to be different years back. And I'm certainly not concerned about pissing her off, I've done that countless times as far as religion goes. I'd just find it lamentable to deny an otherwise healthy relationship with one's grandparents, who would naturally be eager to engage in their grand-children's lives, but that bloody religion keeps coming up... I'm convinced that it's not beyond her morals to proselytize behind my back, no matter what I said.

Anyway, it's not exactly a problem of the near future, just rambling my thoughts here. Dodgy

Τί ἐστιν ἀλήθεια?