Raising the Confederate Flag

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-09-2014, 05:16 PM
Raising the Confederate Flag
So an incident recently occurred at my high school. Someone decided it was a good idea to raise the Confederate Flag at an away football game. It seemed planned, because it just so happened that the ref that game was black.

The next day, the principal came on a special announcement, telling us that this individual had been punished. He also expounded the goal of being tolerant to all peoples and viewpoints. The next day, two students protested by wearing Confederate flags as capes. They were punished as well, and the administration then punished the whole student body by extending a period to occupy our break period, which we get twice a month. They then essentially announced that such actions would not be tolerated.

Huh?

I get that the Confederate Flag is viewed as a symbol of hate and oppression to a great many people, but we can't forget that to just as many people, it's viewed as a cultural heritage and a point of pride.

What I want to ask you all is this: should individuals such as this one be punished for expressing their views if they go against the accepted stigma?

I must add that I live in a border state, so political ideas are quite divided among the students. However, every student I've spoken with seems to agree that the administration took it too far. And, as a liberal-leaning independent, I feel inclined to agree.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-09-2014, 05:27 PM
RE: Raising the Confederate Flag
(10-09-2014 05:16 PM)WoWHead Wrote:  I get that the Confederate Flag is viewed as a symbol of hate and oppression to a great many people, but we can't forget that to just as many people, it's viewed as a cultural heritage and a point of pride.

What I want to ask you all is this: should individuals such as this one be punished for expressing their views if they go against the accepted stigma?

What if they wore swastika capes?

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
10-09-2014, 05:28 PM
(10-09-2014 05:16 PM)WoWHead Wrote:  So an incident recently occurred at my high school. Someone decided it was a good idea to raise the Confederate Flag at an away football game. It seemed planned, because it just so happened that the ref that game was black.

The next day, the principal came on a special announcement, telling us that this individual had been punished. He also expounded the goal of being tolerant to all peoples and viewpoints. The next day, two students protested by wearing Confederate flags as capes. They were punished as well, and the administration then punished the whole student body by extending a period to occupy our break period, which we get twice a month. They then essentially announced that such actions would not be tolerated.

Huh?

I get that the Confederate Flag is viewed as a symbol of hate and oppression to a great many people, but we can't forget that to just as many people, it's viewed as a cultural heritage and a point of pride.

I must add that I live in a border state, so political ideas are quite divided among the students. However, every student I've spoken with seems to agree that the administration took it too far. And, as a liberal-leaning independent, I feel inclined to agree.

It seems they handled it the way they would have had any racist symbol been put up (nazi flag, burning cross) so yes they handled this correctly.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 4 users Like Revenant77x's post
10-09-2014, 05:31 PM
(10-09-2014 05:28 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(10-09-2014 05:16 PM)WoWHead Wrote:  So an incident recently occurred at my high school. Someone decided it was a good idea to raise the Confederate Flag at an away football game. It seemed planned, because it just so happened that the ref that game was black.

Huh?

It seems they handled it the way they would have had any racist symbol been put up (nazi flag, burning cross) so yes they handled this correctly.

Well, I think the main question is this: Is punishing racists for their views intolerant ourselves? I'm conflicted. I don't agree with them, but they weren't physically hurting anyone.
10-09-2014, 05:33 PM
(10-09-2014 05:31 PM)WoWHead Wrote:  
(10-09-2014 05:28 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It seems they handled it the way they would have had any racist symbol been put up (nazi flag, burning cross) so yes they handled this correctly.

Well, I think the main question is this: Is punishing racists for their views intolerant ourselves? I'm conflicted. I don't agree with them, but they weren't physically hurting anyone.

There are far worse ways of hurting someone than physically.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 10 users Like GirlyMan's post
10-09-2014, 05:36 PM
You go to school to learn, racist flags ( not attached to a lesson in the classroom ) is a distraction, ain't nobody got time for that.

No different than all the black kids walking around with flags that say redneck white boys have little dicks.

Like I said - no one has time for trouble makers.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 3 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
10-09-2014, 05:37 PM
(10-09-2014 05:31 PM)WoWHead Wrote:  
(10-09-2014 05:28 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It seems they handled it the way they would have had any racist symbol been put up (nazi flag, burning cross) so yes they handled this correctly.

I'm all for tolerance, I think part of being tolerant actually means being intolerant of intolerance... If that makes sense Consider

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 3 users Like Smercury44's post
10-09-2014, 05:39 PM
(10-09-2014 05:36 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  You go to school to learn, racist flags ( not attached to a lesson in the classroom ) is a distraction, ain't nobody got time for that.

No different than all the black kids walking around with flags that say redneck white boys have little dicks.

Yet, if I might add, Confederate Flag shirts and hats are quite prolific at my school. This seeming dissonance in school policy is part of my conflict. They didn't care until it was displayed prominantly at another school.
10-09-2014, 05:41 PM
(10-09-2014 05:36 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  You go to school to learn, racist flags ( not attached to a lesson in the classroom ) is a distraction, ain't nobody got time for that.

If anything, the administration's announcements were the distraction. Had they not responded so forcefully, I think this whole thing would have just blown over. Just another piece of school gossip
10-09-2014, 05:42 PM
(10-09-2014 05:39 PM)WoWHead Wrote:  

Yet, if I might add, Confederate Flag shirts and hats are quite prolific at my school. This seeming dissonance in school policy is part of my conflict. They didn't care until it was displayed prominantly at another school.

You're right, comparing the dress code and these punishment seems hypocritical. I think the next logical step is to update the dress code to prevent kids from wearing things that can be seen as their own form of hate speech.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 2 users Like Smercury44's post