Raising the Confederate Flag

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-09-2014, 05:43 PM
RE: Raising the Confederate Flag
(10-09-2014 05:39 PM)WoWHead Wrote:  
(10-09-2014 05:36 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  You go to school to learn, racist flags ( not attached to a lesson in the classroom ) is a distraction, ain't nobody got time for that.

No different than all the black kids walking around with flags that say redneck white boys have little dicks.

Like I said - no one has time for trouble makers.

Yet, if I might add, Confederate Flag shirts and hats are quite prolific at my school. This seeming dissonance in school policy is part of my conflict. They didn't care until it was displayed prominantly at another school.

Are these students minors? If so, the school administration is acting in loco parentis and is making a point in a teachable moment.

And before you go all 'free speech blah, blah, blah', no rights are unlimited.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
10-09-2014, 05:50 PM
Quote:it's viewed as a cultural heritage and a point of pride.

And that's a problem right there.... since it is a marker of treason.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
Find all posts by this user
[+] 8 users Like Minimalist's post
10-09-2014, 05:50 PM
People can wear whatever cape they want, and even go to rallies where everyone else wears capes just like theirs!
But.
You are in school! High School isn't there to be fair, it's there to teach you things! They make the rules. You break their rules, you pay their consequences! That's it Drinking Beverage

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
10-09-2014, 06:04 PM
As much as I don't like it, high school students don't have the same rights as adults. And I looked at the section of the Student Code they referenced, and tried to look at it from their point of view, and I can see where they're coming from. And where you guys are coming from. The administration is just doing their job. I just don't feel like having this blow up in our(the school's and the student body's) faces, and these are some VERY stubborn kids.
10-09-2014, 06:49 PM
I'm not so worried about the race aspect as the aspect of national integrity. The Confederate secession was an act of treason against the great United States of America, and the CSA flag is a symbol of treason. Flying that flag is just as bad as flying the USSR flag at the height of the Cold War would be.

That being said, free speech extends even to treasonous speech. Hate speech laws are contrary to the principle of free speech, and violate personal liberty.

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

Happily Divorced from the Left!
10-09-2014, 07:17 PM
My former employer belonged to " the Sons of Confederate Veterans" and participated in a March on the capital of SC when they removed the flag from the capital bldg here. I've heard every excuse and then some, it's racist no matter what way you try to dress it up and make excuses for it.

Get over it.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 6 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
10-09-2014, 07:20 PM
(10-09-2014 07:17 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  My former employer belonged to " the Sons of Confederate Veterans" and participated in a March on the capital of SC when they removed the flag from the capital bldg here. I've heard every excuse and then some, it's racist no matter what way you try to dress it up and make excuses for it.

Get over it.

I'm not trying to make excuses, I'm trying to see and understand both sides. I agree with you, but some don't. And I try to understand their views. You can't formulate a logical argument by only acknowledging one side of the debate.
[+] 1 user Likes WoWHead's post
10-09-2014, 07:27 PM
(10-09-2014 07:20 PM)WoWHead Wrote:  
(10-09-2014 07:17 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  My former employer belonged to " the Sons of Confederate Veterans" and participated in a March on the capital of SC when they removed the flag from the capital bldg here. I've heard every excuse and then some, it's racist no matter what way you try to dress it up and make excuses for it.

Get over it.

I'm not trying to make excuses, I'm trying to see and understand both sides. I agree with you, but some don't. And I try to understand their views. You can't formulate a logical argument by only acknowledging one side of the debate.

In fairness, I don't think her comment was directed at you, but the situation in general. Good on you for trying to see both sides Thumbsup

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 2 users Like Smercury44's post
10-09-2014, 07:55 PM
I was taught in my history classes that the South had the right to secede...
Certainly no more treasonous than the Declaration of Independence as a big fuck you to England. I was taught the main issue was unfair taxation of the South and being unfairly represented in Congress. But at some of the schools (moved a lot) I went to I also sat next to kids who were Klan members - I've had the unfortunate displeasure of seeing them march. So, um, yeh.. Dodgy My experience with most white racists is that they don't really know any or many people of any other race - fear of the unknown/ignorance and what they were taught. The most racist school I went to had ZERO black people K-12, and a few migrant Mexicans. The schools that were more culturally diverse didn't have much of a problem.

I'm not in support of flying or wearing the confederate flag because it is offensive to so many as it has become representative of racism and white supremacy. I would never want to portray that kind of message.

The only offensive flag in my house is that of a dead Nazi that still has blood stains from his death. It's not out for the world to see - just a piece of family history.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
10-09-2014, 08:00 PM
(10-09-2014 07:55 PM)Nurse Wrote:  I was taught in my history classes that the South had the right to secede...
Certainly no more treasonous than the Declaration of Independence as a big fuck you to England. I was taught the main issue was unfair taxation of the South and being unfairly represented in Congress. But at some of the schools (moved a lot) I went to I also sat next to kids who were Klan members - I've had the unfortunate displeasure of seeing them march. So, um, yeh.. Dodgy My experience with most white racists is that they don't really know any or many people of any other race - fear of the unknown/ignorance and what they were taught. The most racist school I went to had ZERO black people K-12, and a few migrant Mexicans. The schools that were more culturally diverse didn't have much of a problem.

I'm not in support of flying or wearing the confederate flag because it is offensive to so many as it has become representative of racism and white supremacy. I would never want to portray that kind of message.

The only offensive flag in my house is that of a dead Nazi that still has blood stains from his death. It's not out for the world to see - just a piece of family history.

You were taught wrong. That is not uncommon for people in the south to have been given a revisionist version of history.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense