Raising the Confederate Flag

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-09-2014, 08:03 PM
RE: Raising the Confederate Flag
(10-09-2014 08:00 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(10-09-2014 07:55 PM)Nurse Wrote:  I was taught in my history classes that the South had the right to secede...
Certainly no more treasonous than the Declaration of Independence as a big fuck you to England. I was taught the main issue was unfair taxation of the South and being unfairly represented in Congress. But at some of the schools (moved a lot) I went to I also sat next to kids who were Klan members - I've had the unfortunate displeasure of seeing them march. So, um, yeh.. Dodgy My experience with most white racists is that they don't really know any or many people of any other race - fear of the unknown/ignorance and what they were taught. The most racist school I went to had ZERO black people K-12, and a few migrant Mexicans. The schools that were more culturally diverse didn't have much of a problem.

I'm not in support of flying or wearing the confederate flag because it is offensive to so many as it has become representative of racism and white supremacy. I would never want to portray that kind of message.

The only offensive flag in my house is that of a dead Nazi that still has blood stains from his death. It's not out for the world to see - just a piece of family history.

You were taught wrong. That is not uncommon for people in the south to have been given a revisionist version of history.

I was given that version in PA. But we were also given the other side on the issues of slavery as well.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-09-2014, 08:28 PM
Re: Raising the Confederate Flag
Well technical all of those complaints were related to slavery still. A loss of slaves as property would affect the representation and taxation.

Normally the sugar coated way they write for the confederacy is they were merely fighting for states rights. But it was their states rights to own slaves that was their main issue. Beyond that what's mentioned only a little, but was key is the impact on whose style of living would expand to the West.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 4 users Like ClydeLee's post
10-09-2014, 08:32 PM
Racism rocks my socks. I love my slaves.
[+] 1 user Likes Ferdinand's post
10-09-2014, 08:34 PM
(10-09-2014 08:03 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  
(10-09-2014 08:00 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  You were taught wrong. That is not uncommon for people in the south to have been given a revisionist version of history.

I was given that version in PA. But we were also given the other side on the issues of slavery as well.

Really the correct version was not under representation of the south in congress but way over representation due to them being able to count slaves in their population. The 3/5's thing.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
10-09-2014, 08:43 PM
(10-09-2014 05:50 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  
Quote:it's viewed as a cultural heritage and a point of pride.

And that's a problem right there.... since it is a marker of treason.

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical. Unsuccesful (sic) rebellions indeed generally establish the incroachments (sic) on the rights of the people which have produced them. An observation of this truth should render honest republican governors so mild in their punishment of rebellions, as not to discourage them too much. It is a medecine (sic) necessary for the sound health of government." President Thomas Jefferson, 1787
[+] 1 user Likes Dunkleweizen's post
10-09-2014, 08:45 PM
(10-09-2014 05:41 PM)WoWHead Wrote:  
(10-09-2014 05:36 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  You go to school to learn, racist flags ( not attached to a lesson in the classroom ) is a distraction, ain't nobody got time for that.

No different than all the black kids walking around with flags that say redneck white boys have little dicks.

Like I said - no one has time for trouble makers.

If anything, the administration's announcements were the distraction. Had they not responded so forcefully, I think this whole thing would have just blown over. Just another piece of school gossip

So everyone was wrong. The admin should never have tolerated ANY Confederate anything. They were inconsistent. Doesn't make the racist actions acceptable.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 6 users Like Bucky Ball's post
10-09-2014, 08:56 PM (This post was last modified: 10-09-2014 09:00 PM by Impulse.)
(10-09-2014 05:16 PM)WoWHead Wrote:  So an incident recently occurred at my high school. Someone decided it was a good idea to raise the Confederate Flag at an away football game. It seemed planned, because it just so happened that the ref that game was black.

The next day, the principal came on a special announcement, telling us that this individual had been punished. He also expounded the goal of being tolerant to all peoples and viewpoints. The next day, two students protested by wearing Confederate flags as capes. They were punished as well, and the administration then punished the whole student body by extending a period to occupy our break period, which we get twice a month. They then essentially announced that such actions would not be tolerated.

Huh?

I get that the Confederate Flag is viewed as a symbol of hate and oppression to a great many people, but we can't forget that to just as many people, it's viewed as a cultural heritage and a point of pride.

What I want to ask you all is this: should individuals such as this one be punished for expressing their views if they go against the accepted stigma?

I must add that I live in a border state, so political ideas are quite divided among the students. However, every student I've spoken with seems to agree that the administration took it too far. And, as a liberal-leaning independent, I feel inclined to agree.
Racism has no place anywhere. Period. And frankly I never bought the "proud of heritage" excuse for people that display the Confederate flag. Proud of what? Slavery and racism? The main reason for the secession and the Confederate States was over slavery. Screw anyone who wants to be proud of that! Dodgy

That said, our freedoms rightly allow them to display the Confederate flag if they so choose. But choosing to do so on one's own shirt, vehicle, house, or private property is quite different from doing so on public property. Their freedoms don't extend there. Public places should aim at being all inclusive. Everyone in the US is included under the US Flag. Not so for the Confederate flag.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 3 users Like Impulse's post
10-09-2014, 09:57 PM
Quote:I was taught in my history classes that the South had the right to secede...
Certainly no more treasonous than the Declaration of Independence as a big fuck you to England.

Such is the difference between losing a war and winning one.

History is full of such examples.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
10-09-2014, 10:31 PM
(10-09-2014 05:31 PM)WoWHead Wrote:  Well, I think the main question is this: Is punishing racists for their views intolerant ourselves? I'm conflicted. I don't agree with them, but they weren't physically hurting anyone.

It is ridiculous to tolerate everything. Try not to be too tolerant of other people's bullshit. It's good and healthy to have boundaries and standards.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
[+] 2 users Like Logica Humano's post
11-09-2014, 01:19 AM
I don't get why the whole student body was punished because two or three kids were dicks.
Teachers can be such cunts sometimes.

[Image: oscar.png]