Raising the Confederate Flag

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-09-2014, 01:34 AM
RE: Raising the Confederate Flag
(10-09-2014 05:31 PM)WoWHead Wrote:  
(10-09-2014 05:28 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It seems they handled it the way they would have had any racist symbol been put up (nazi flag, burning cross) so yes they handled this correctly.

Well, I think the main question is this: Is punishing racists for their views intolerant ourselves? I'm conflicted. I don't agree with them, but they weren't physically hurting anyone.

Well you are in a public school. And, if the powers that be at your school take no action then they are supporting the racist meaning of the act.

Outside of school is another matter. The perpetrators can join the KKK and march all they want holding confederate flags with big sheets covering their bodies.

As to an earlier comment you made, I am quite certain that everyone in the US understands the confederate flag as a symbol of racism, and the only pride left in that symbol is pride in being a racist.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dee's post
11-09-2014, 04:56 AM
(11-09-2014 01:19 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I don't get why the whole student body was punished because two or three kids were dicks.
Teachers can be such cunts sometimes.

Just taking a guess based on living in this region, and hearing from these shit heads with their 'cultural heritage' claims. But I'm guessing there is a group of 10 or so boys starting it and about another 50 cheering them on, and then the rest of the student body gossiping and building it up so now it is affecting the entire school.

The schools reaction in swiftness and harshness was right on the money, IMO Thumbsup

The school is teaching that racism in any form is not acceptable, and just because your great, great grand daddy died fighting for it doesn't make it right.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
11-09-2014, 07:46 AM
(11-09-2014 04:56 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  
(11-09-2014 01:19 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I don't get why the whole student body was punished because two or three kids were dicks.
Teachers can be such cunts sometimes.

Just taking a guess based on living in this region, and hearing from these shit heads with their 'cultural heritage' claims. But I'm guessing there is a group of 10 or so boys starting it and about another 50 cheering them on, and then the rest of the student body gossiping and building it up so now it is affecting the entire school.

The schools reaction in swiftness and harshness was right on the money, IMO Thumbsup

The school is teaching that racism in any form is not acceptable, and just because your great, great grand daddy died fighting for it doesn't make it right.

It's still punishing those that did not participate.
And lets keep things in perspective here, this is hardly grade altering material. If you gossip about something your grades are not gonna slip because you took 10seconds out of your day during lunch break to discuss a current event topic with your friends.

I get punishing the kids that do it, but to punish the entire school is just wrong.
It's bullying and teaches nothing but "we're bigger then you, do as we say or you'll suffer our fury". School is not just about math and english, I agree it is about education but there is more to education then math and english.
What does it teach kids when the 'establishment' bullies the entire student body? It doesn't teach anything positive except that people should conform which is bullshit because that's when you get people stop questioning things.

The other students can see the consequences of these boys actions when they (the boys) are punished. That's the lesson. The punishing of the entire student body is wrong. Gossip is not crime.
11-09-2014, 07:53 AM
(11-09-2014 07:46 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(11-09-2014 04:56 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Just taking a guess based on living in this region, and hearing from these shit heads with their 'cultural heritage' claims. But I'm guessing there is a group of 10 or so boys starting it and about another 50 cheering them on, and then the rest of the student body gossiping and building it up so now it is affecting the entire school.

It's still punishing those that did not participate.
And lets keep things in perspective here, this is hardly grade altering material. If you gossip about something your grades are not gonna slip because you took 10seconds out of your day during lunch break to discuss a current event topic with your friends.

I get punishing the kids that do it, but to punish the entire school is just wrong.
It's bullying and teaches nothing but "we're bigger then you, do as we say or you'll suffer our fury". School is not just about math and english, I agree it is about education but there is more to education then math and english.
What does it teach kids when the 'establishment' bullies the entire student body? It doesn't teach anything positive except that people should conform which is bullshit because that's when you get people stop questioning things.

The other students can see the consequences of these boys actions when they (the boys) are punished. That's the lesson. The punishing of the entire student body is wrong. Gossip is not crime.

It might depend on the climate of that particular school, the makeup of the student body, or if they see it escalating to arguments, push back from parents on both sides, etc.

And some things administration comes down hard because they want to send a clear message, racism won't be tolerated. If they were going to pick a time to be dicks, I'd say the picked the right time.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
11-09-2014, 08:15 AM
(11-09-2014 07:53 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  
(11-09-2014 07:46 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  It's still punishing those that did not participate.

It might depend on the climate of that particular school, the makeup of the student body, or if they see it escalating to arguments, push back from parents on both sides, etc.

And some things administration comes down hard because they want to send a clear message, racism won't be tolerated. If they were going to pick a time to be dicks, I'd say the picked the right time.

The clear message is the kids involved being punished.

Punishing the entire student body is just bullying.
11-09-2014, 08:22 AM
Re: Raising the Confederate Flag
Explain to be the rationale of how punishment for action is not bullying, but proactive punishment is bullying.

I don't deem bullying being related to having a prior cause or not.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
11-09-2014, 08:27 AM
(11-09-2014 08:22 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Explain to be the rationale of how punishment for action is not bullying, but proactive punishment is bullying.

I don't deem bullying being related to having a prior cause or not.

Man: *Punches women in the face*
Women: "what was that for?"
Man: "for something you may or may not be about to do in the near future"

Read the OP again. The thing happened with the flag. The boy was punished. Two boys "protested" the next day. They were punished. The whole school was then punished. Lolwut?
11-09-2014, 05:59 PM
(10-09-2014 09:57 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  
Quote:I was taught in my history classes that the South had the right to secede...
Certainly no more treasonous than the Declaration of Independence as a big fuck you to England.

Such is the difference between losing a war and winning one.

History is full of such examples.

Hardly. The CSA was fighting against American republicanism and freedom and were anti-patriotic traitors. The penalty for death is treason so as far as I am concerned the biggest injustice of the Civil War is that not every CSA traitor was put to death.

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

Happily Divorced from the Left!
11-09-2014, 06:31 PM
Quote:
"We must hang together, gentlemen...else, we shall most assuredly hang separately."

-- Benjamin Franklin

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 2 users Like Minimalist's post
11-09-2014, 08:16 PM
(11-09-2014 05:59 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  
(10-09-2014 09:57 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  Such is the difference between losing a war and winning one.

History is full of such examples.

Hardly. The CSA was fighting against American republicanism and freedom and were anti-patriotic traitors. The penalty for death is treason so as far as I am concerned the biggest injustice of the Civil War is that not every CSA traitor was put to death.

What were they being treasonous to exactly? There was no real concept of The United States of America...most people referred to the country as the united states of America at the time.