Ralph Bakshi's Wizards (1977)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-05-2013, 03:18 PM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2013 03:26 PM by ghostexorcist.)
Ralph Bakshi's Wizards (1977)
I first saw Ralph Bakshi's post-apocalyptic fantasy film Wizards (1977) on VHS back in the 1990s when I was a young teen. I later bought a cheap DVD version of it sometime while serving in the military. I just now found it on youtube:

For those who have never seen it, the film is set millions of years after a great nuclear world kills most of the life on earth. Those humans who do survive are mutated into horrible demons who inhabit the dark nuclear wastelands. Their twisted existence is contrasted by the beautiful elves and fairies who inhabit the clean lands that have been cleansed of radiation. The nuclear war shook so violently that it awoke them from their centuries-long magic sleep. The story mainly deals with a messiah-like wizard-turned-washed up old man and his battle with his evil twin brother--both representing light and dark magic, respectively. The good wizard relies on magic; the evil wizard relies on refurbished weapons of war and Nazi propaganda films that he projects onto battlefields to whip his soldiers into a frenzy, while sapping the fighting spirit of the opposing forces.

Those looking for seamless production values will be disappointed. It is very rough to be sure. However, it certainly makes up for it in storytelling and imaginative visuals.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like ghostexorcist's post
07-05-2013, 03:27 PM
RE: Ralph Bakshi's Wizards (1977)
A friend of mine made me watch it recently. It was interesting. I liked the character designs.
07-05-2013, 03:32 PM
Random Trivia fact: This movie was released by the same distributor as Star Wars. Both were released at the same time and due to the unexpected success of Star Wars most of the movie houses there were going to show Wizards actually got Star Wars instead.

I have always loved this movie. Seen it dozens of times.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
07-05-2013, 04:01 PM
Peace want love. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
07-05-2013, 04:10 PM
Saw it years ago on VHS - ah, classic 70s animation. Bakshi was the adult animation man back in the day. I remember seeing his rotoscope "Lord of the Rings" movie in theaters and being disappointed that we never got the promised sequels...
Find all posts by this user