Ramadan

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-06-2014, 08:39 AM
Ramadan
So it's he first day of Ramadan today. A bunch of muslams will not eat or drink anything until sunset. For the whole month. I work with quite a few and one woman this morning asked us non muslams to be patient with them as they may be a little cranky. I didn't say it but I was thinking "fuck you!" If you're going to be an ass because you're stupid god expects you not to eat or drink that's a fucking problem. Not to mention that not drinking water while the sun is up in northern Alberta is the most idiotic thing I've ever heard. It's hotter than hell here and the sun rises around 5 am and sets around 10 pm.
I'd imagine any observing muslam living further north don't even have a chance..
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-06-2014, 09:14 AM
RE: Ramadan
(29-06-2014 08:39 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  ...
I work with quite a few and one woman this morning asked us non muslams to be patient with them as they may be a little cranky.

Ditto.

Strangely enough, I seem to get sent to Oz around this time of year.

Nothing to do with, apparently, my insistence on buying fruit, chocs and cake for the ladies in the KL office each year.

Actually, I am grateful to be working with 'mocktail muslims' © who get the joke... and enjoy the food when the sun goes down.

In KL, it's really only like christmas (and I would imagine Thanksgiving too) as the hotels do really well because of the after dark binging.

29-06-2014, 09:15 AM
(29-06-2014 08:39 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  So it's he first day of Ramadan today. A bunch of muslams will not eat or drink anything until sunset. For the whole month. I work with quite a few and one woman this morning asked us non muslams to be patient with them as they may be a little cranky. I didn't say it but I was thinking "fuck you!" If you're going to be an ass because you're stupid god expects you not to eat or drink that's a fucking problem. Not to mention that not drinking water while the sun is up in northern Alberta is the most idiotic thing I've ever heard. It's hotter than hell here and the sun rises around 5 am and sets around 10 pm.
I'd imagine any observing muslam living further north don't even have a chance..

if a Muslim dies during fasting, they are martyrs. Looks like their definition of martyrdom is dying because of stupidity.

All great truths begin as blasphemy - George Bernard Shaw
[+] 3 users Like Anna's post
29-06-2014, 09:26 AM
I had an Arabian stallion named Ramadan. Thought the name was quite appropriate. He was a really sweet guy.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled programming.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 2 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
29-06-2014, 10:18 AM
We should play this song all month.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 2 users Like Minimalist's post
29-06-2014, 11:10 AM
When I see the word Ramadan in writing, my mind says ramen - as in noodles.

Then, I immediately get hungry for ramen noodles so, I make and eat them. It's probably a pavlovian response from my college days.

I could never do islam; I'd be as fat as an elephant. Drinking Beverage

Water is boiling for my ramen as I'm typing this.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
29-06-2014, 11:17 AM
(29-06-2014 08:39 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  So it's he first day of Ramadan today. A bunch of muslams will not eat or drink anything until sunset. For the whole month. I work with quite a few and one woman this morning asked us non muslams to be patient with them as they may be a little cranky. I didn't say it but I was thinking "fuck you!" If you're going to be an ass because you're stupid god expects you not to eat or drink that's a fucking problem. Not to mention that not drinking water while the sun is up in northern Alberta is the most idiotic thing I've ever heard. It's hotter than hell here and the sun rises around 5 am and sets around 10 pm.

Last year for Ramadan I was in the Helmand Province of Afghanistan. They seem to pick up attacks around this time. Particularly where I worked at we worked closely the Afghan National Army soldiers and were told we couldn't even bring food or drink into work because of their beliefs. Yeah....pissed quite a couple of us off seeing as we didn't have time to go sit and eat.
29-06-2014, 03:00 PM
Day 1: We're already seeing the usual increased levels of stupidity on the roads here. Shorter working hours mean the locals dash home at lunchtime to sleep until they can stuff their faces and everyone else dashes home a couple of hours later, hungry and dehydrated.

I'm only sticking it out for a week this year, then I'm off to the UK for a bit of sanity - hopefully. The entertainment biz is shut down for the month so most of my friends have already left, it's natural time to finish contracts and move around the circuit so we'll see some old friends come back around in August.

"While religions tell us next to nothing useful or true about the universe, they do tell us an enormous amount - perhaps an embarrassing amount - about ourselves, about what we value, fear and lust after." Iain M Banks
29-06-2014, 03:33 PM (This post was last modified: 29-06-2014 05:16 PM by CleverUsername.)
I'd take that as the cue to eat more during whatever meals you have at work, include food that has a very strong sent, and leave things you won't be eating at the moment out in plain sight.

You know, just cause. Angel
[+] 3 users Like CleverUsername's post
29-06-2014, 03:41 PM
It is funny because yesterday I was at a family reunion with very nice, but very religious people, and as my family was going home I say the tallest building promoting people to try Ramadan. The first thought in my head was "America promoting a religion that is not christianity? Well if that is not odd I don't know what is."

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube