Rambling about Intelligence

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-11-2012, 04:03 PM
Rambling about Intelligence
A few years ago I was very interested in Intelligence. I did a few official and unofficial IQ-Tests with very different scores and at some point I just thought "screw it, it's just a frigging number!"

So I had both very high and very low scores. But often I had to guess on those tests.
I didn't have to guess because I didn't know the answers but because I saw more than one correct and logical solution and simply picked one. That alone shows me that these tests are not very reliable.
I even participated in a Mensa IQ Test because I thought that this has to be the most reliable one. But it was not, there were some tests that only had one answer (like memory stuff or math skills etc) But there were a lot of things in the logical sector that had more than one logical solution.

Today, just because I was bored, I tried another IQ test, again with a lot of parts where more than one things were logical.
I actually scored "average" with an IQ of 97. Which is by FAAAAR the lowest I ever scored. I have never scored below 117 and never above 150 but pretty much everything else.

At some point I, for myself, came to the conclusion that IQ measures only what your brain is trained to do and that is it. So if you are, by luck, educated exactly the way the test is going, you will score pretty high. And by educated I don't mean at school or at home. Simply the excersice your brain got in any available way. So if that available way fits the pattern that the test measures you are fine, if not you are basically counted as dumb.

For example one of the test I took back then measured IQ seperately for each section. This was an approved test and done with me by a psychologist. In that test I was at 149 on everything speech related and above average on logic stuff but at 61 on everything related to numbers. I have Dyscalculia, so that is no surprise. That same test also had a section about understanding space, forms and room. I had been educated in technical drawing for the two previous years and was pretty good at it so I thought, yeah walk in the park. Forget it! I wasn't good at that at all.

Now for all those weird test examples, in real life I am not dumb at all.
I find solutions and ways where others quit looking or I find a better way of doing something.
I am not saying I am the smartest person on earth! I know there are a lot of people, much smarter than me, out there. Even my husband is a lot smarter in some ways. But I am not dumb either.

... Probably I do care about the number I scored today. Not for the number itself, but for the quality of test it represents and for the insult I get for finding more than one possible way to solve the problems in the tests....

rambling over...

gimme your two cents if you want, of don't

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-11-2012, 04:20 PM
RE: Rambling about Intelligence
Some points of personal interest...

"Intelligence/smart" hasn't been properly defined. What exactly are the implications of the results of these tests? What does it mean to be more or less "intelligent/smart"? Does it show how well you can function within a society? Does it deal with likelihood of success within a society?

What I'd like to have answered is: 1. what is their definition of intelligence, and 2. does the test actually demonstrate it?
Find all posts by this user
16-11-2012, 04:25 PM
Yup, bring me a great artist with an IQ of 80 and I'll say he/she is a genius anyway.
There're many ways of being intelligent, and IQ is just an outdated and completely simplistic way of "measuring" intelligence.

But luckily we're a lot more complex than pattern-finding machines Big Grin

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
16-11-2012, 04:26 PM
poolboy, normally the people who hold the tests do not define intelligence.

A lot for scientist don't agree with IQ testing because they only measure certain fields, and while they even lack accuracy in those fields, they ignore real life stuff creativity (which is a huge part of problem solving skills).
Those test don't measure how well you function in live, they attempt to measure certain areas: understanding of numbers, words, logic, forms, patterns... Very few also measure memory. Things like that.
But not important things like "what happens if I turn the stove to high when I try to make food?" or "What is the best way to fix/close a hole in the wall?"

That is basically what annoys me so much. They act as if they are acurate test as a measure of intelligence when they are obviously not.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user