Rambling about the census

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-05-2016, 11:26 AM
Rambling about the census
So recently there was a census here in Ireland and before the forms where given out, I found a boom of facebook posts being shared on my timeline that reminded atheists to tick the "none" box at the religion question even if you are member of a spoof religion like FSM, Dudeism, etc. because you would just tick other, say what the name is, and then you count as religious.

For me it was all clear. These questions are important for many political ideas and decisions.
Apart from religion, some of the questions were about illnesses and how they impact your life, what your highest school education is, how long and in what way you travel to work, etc.

So for many of you those things might make a lot of sense.
Illnesses and how they impact your life >> Do we need to pass laws that change how we deal with ill / disabled people. For example additional housing possibilities for people who are fit enough to live on their own. Or for example introduce a basic medical coverage for all citizens etc.

Level of Education: In what areas do we need to create jobs? Do we need to change the school system? etc

Travel to work: Do we need to change or improve streets, bus services, train schedules, divert traffic in a smart way, etc...

So my friend asked what's with all the questions and why they ask them and he told me that, "well I did fill it out truthfully but still..."

His first question was why he had to fill in his religion (he is protestant) because in his opinion it isn't something that he experesses publicly etc.
And I explained to him that a lot of laws and political things in Ireland are still based on religion. For example the fact that abortions are illegal or the fact that there are only 2 (i think, correct me if I'm wrong) non-religious schools in Dublin and the waiting list is about 4 or 5 years long. Which, as you might have figured, I find that unacceptable. So catholic schools are state funded and that is not acceptable either. And he actually agreed on those points.

What I personally find a bit disturbing though. The last census here had pretty much the same questions but I have not seen a change from then to now. So what else are they doing it for?

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-05-2016, 11:36 AM
RE: Rambling about the census
Just to collect data and do fuck all with it.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post