Ramen & Pho

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-12-2013, 10:40 PM
RE: Ramen & Pho
Haha, yes there is pure veggie pho too, but I've never gotten it. I've had very good Tofu pho and curry. That particular texture doesn't bother me haha.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-12-2013, 08:01 AM
As an ordained minister in The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, I bless the worthiness of seeking noodly nirvana.

May you ingest the noodly appendage, ramen.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
24-12-2013, 11:05 AM
(23-12-2013 06:05 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(23-12-2013 03:59 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  I prefer the prepackaged ramen, mostly because I'm a picky eater, and noodles I'm chicken broth is right up my alley Laugh out load

Totally agree though, sweet and salty just go together beautifully!
nice Thumbsup! So you like ramen over pho? Have you ever had "real" ramen (from a restaurant or noodle house)?

I had it once, but it wasn't as good as maruchan Sad haha.

Blasphemer! You didn't go to one of the good places. Perhaps there isn't one up there.

(24-12-2013 08:01 AM)Chas Wrote:  As an ordained minister in The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, I bless the worthiness of seeking noodly nirvana.

May you ingest the noodly appendage, ramen.

Amen, brother Chas.

I live in California, and I work in a town not far from Irvine, in the vicinity of University of California Irvine. This school is well known for its Asian population and associated community. I also work with 2 guys from Vietnam. They introduced me and educated me well about phở (pronounced "fuh?" with a rise at the end as though asking a question).

I took cues watching them eat it. I think I have the typical technique down for spoon loading. It takes practice. You have to have the Asian-style spoon or it just doesn't work. Using chopsticks, grab a bit of noodles and lay them into the spoon. Grab some meat with the chopsticks now and dip it into the small dish provided for the 2 sauces (Hoisin sauce + Sriracha). Begin eating the meat, then dip your spoon into the broth and have a spoonful of broth and noodle. Heaven.

I used to just put the Hoisin and Sriracha into my broth. But, it was later pointed out to me that this now prevents me from enjoying the broth in its original flavor. If you're at a good establishment the broth is the key element to the soup. The cinnamon, cardamom and star anise flavors should accent everything perfectly.

I also get to enjoy good ramen in the area, although its rather far for us now. There is a restaurant called Shinsengumi in Fountain Valley. The folk who run the place all came from Tokyo and make Tokyo-style ramen. It is heavenly. Your bowl is made to your specifications. You fill out a card with all the options you want; which type of noodle, which type of broth, which veggies and meats, and your selection from among the side dishes. Their Karamiso broth is the best. It's a spicy miso broth made from a combination of miso (fermented soy bean paste) and chili oil.

I also agree, phở and ramen (especially Tokyo-style) are 2 very different dishes.

Also, compared to ramen, phở shouldn't really be all that salty by itself. Perhaps it's the Sriracha you're adding to the broth? Phở is usually pretty light when done right.

As for packaged ramen, I'm no stranger to Maruchan, but I prefer the Korean packaged ramen. Their sauce packets are awesome. The instructions also have the maker put the sauce packet in before the noodle, which infuses the noodles with the sauce making them extra tasty. Their noodles also have better texture, smooth and silky.

Consider this brand if you're interested. Their sauce is just as spicy but has better flavor than Nong Shim's Shin Ramyun IMHO.

[Image: samyang.jpg]

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post
24-12-2013, 04:10 PM
Fuck you guys, I want some motherfucking Ramen now. Haven't had it in forever.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post
24-12-2013, 04:41 PM
Phở, definitely phở.

But then my in-house chefs are Vietnamese so perhaps I'm biased. If I had a Japanese chef, who know?

Best version was in Ho Chi Minh City with a side plate of vegetation (add, to taste) and quẩy

I just like dunking.

I usually leave the noodles.

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
24-12-2013, 04:44 PM
There is a bottle of fish sauce, some meat, and some citrus in my fridge. It is practically screaming at me "DO IT, BITCH." Tongue

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
[+] 1 user Likes Cephalotus's post
24-12-2013, 09:05 PM
(24-12-2013 04:41 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Phở, definitely phở.

But then my in-house chefs are Vietnamese so perhaps I'm biased. If I had a Japanese chef, who know?

Best version was in Ho Chi Minh City with a side plate of vegetation (add, to taste) and quẩy

I just like dunking.

I usually leave the noodles.
Chefs? Plural? Damn..wish I had a chef...*kicks rocks*

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
24-12-2013, 11:30 PM
(24-12-2013 04:41 PM)DLJ Wrote:  ...my in-house chefs are Vietnamese

You. Bastard.

So when can I come over?

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
24-12-2013, 11:31 PM
(24-12-2013 11:30 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  
(24-12-2013 04:41 PM)DLJ Wrote:  ...my in-house chefs are Vietnamese

You. Bastard.

So when can I come over?

Or did you mean... who?

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
26-12-2013, 11:43 PM
(24-12-2013 04:10 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Fuck you guys, I want some motherfucking Ramen now. Haven't had it in forever.

I finally made some tonight. It was delicious!