Rammstein

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-04-2013, 04:39 AM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2013 04:45 AM by Misanthropik.)
Rammstein
So I'm a little tipsy, and I'm feeling sentimental. As the title would suggest, this thread is dedicated to Germany's top musical export: Rammstein. This is a band which bears no introduction, because there is no real way to describe their unique brand of mayhem. It is something which can only be understood through experience, and experience it you shall. What follows is a small collection of my favorite; most haunting, heavy, and yet deeply emotional pieces from these verrückte Männer.

I implore you not to listen, but to experience. To allow the unsettling, yet somehow playful atmosphere to envelop you and take you to a place where language barriers are no longer relevant, and where all that matters is the visceral storytelling which emenates forth from within your speakers.

Reise, Reise: Imagine you are far out to sea on a mighty fishing boat in the midst of a terrific and overpowering storm. The towering waves threaten to topple your vessel, and yet you brave the violence of nature alongside your fellow fishermen in your quest for not only your catch, but for your very survival.

Mein Teil: Inspired by the true story of one Armin Meiwes; "Mein Teil" tells the tale of a troubled man with a homoerotic fetish for cannibalism who invited a young, fit, and willing male participant to come to his home; have his penis severed, and then eaten by the two men by candlelight. Is it twisted? Yes. Is it controversial? Undoubtedly. And that is precisely why Rammstein was the perfect narrator for so unsettling a tale.

Dalai Lama: Anyone who is familiar with German storytelling knows that story-time in Germany isn't exactly flowers and rainbows. Not venturing from the dark path set before us by Mein Teil; Dalai Lama tells the unfortunate story of a father and son's ill-fated flight to visit mother for her birthday. While soaring miles above the Earth, something goes terribly wrong and the flight begins to plummet. In his instinctual drive to preserve the life of his child; the father embraces his son and holds him tightly within his grip. The dark irony, however, is that in his overwhelming fear, the father accidentally crushes his son to death in his attempts to secure him. This is particularly extraordinary for the child, who bears witness to the haunting chants of the angels above as they beckon: "Come here; stay here; we'll be good to you; we are your brothers".

Ohne Dich: Taking a break from the unsettling darkness of the previous two songs - but by no means from the density of emotion - we come to "Ohne Dich"; a song about professing complete devotion to the one you love. I myself created a video for this song for a former lover; complete with English translations set against an ever-changing backdrop of incredible landscapes. It almost (almost) makes me tear up to recall the lyrics: "Without you I cannot be". (Perhaps this song is about mourning a loss, rather than merely professing one's love. Either way, it is heart-wrenching and awe-inspiring)

Sonne: Next, we find ourselves venturing into the soaring skies of "Sonne"; a song who's meaning completely escapes me - even after all these years. From what I can gather, it's about a mysterious "light" for which the entire world is waiting, and as they wait in anticipation, they "count loudly to ten" for the Sun to fall from the sky. I'm sure there's a liberal amount of metaphor in there somewhere, but even with as much time as I've invested in the song itself; I cannot pin-point it. Perhaps that's the point. It is art, after all. Ultimately, the only thing which is of any relevance to me is the sheer beauty with which this "story" is told. (I must admit that I was also rather amused by my late canine companion; who habitually burst into a bout of mournful howling upon hearing the angelic female vocals toward the end of the song)

Mein Herz Brennt: Now, dear children, pay attention as we begin a slow descent back into the dark depths of imagination. This time, we are confronted with "Mein Herz Brennt"; which tells the first-person story of all that goes bump in the night - specifically from the lips of that nocturnal spook which we have come to call the Sandman. He is cursed to bring you nightmares in your sleep and dread upon your pillow. He does this because your torment sustains him. But do not fret, because it's no picnic for him, either. Even as he goes about his malicious duty; I assure you...his heart burns.

Rosenrot: Ahh, the power of an angelic woman over the heart of feeble man. Few of us (men) have not felt - or will not feel - the heavenly tug of a woman's hands upon our heart strings. Indeed, this amorous intoxication can lead a man to do crazy things. In the literal translation of the song (which differs in context from the story portrayed in the video), a beautiful young girl beheld a red rose sitting upon a cliff, and wished to have it for herself. Taking advantage of (or, perhaps, naively unaware of) the power of her feminine charms, she summoned the help of a smitten young man to retrieve it for her. However, in his affectionate endeavor to acquire the rose, he lost his footing and slipped from the cliffside; falling tragically to his death. Yes, the power of a woman's love is intense, and at times, incredibly dangerous. But pursue we must; the potential for companionship.

Spring: A man seeking to enjoy the view as he strolled across a lofty bridge paused to to take in the majesty of his surroundings. But as passersby caught sight of him, they thought surely that he must be attempting suicide from so great a height. But what you must remember (and what many seem to deny entirely) is that Man is a malicious beast, and his taste for blood is insatiable. Soon, a crowd gathers to cheer the man on; urging him "Jump! Jump! Jump for me! Do not disappoint me!" The man becomes frightened by this animalistic preoccupation with schadenfreude, and insists that he was simply out for a walk. But in their bloodlust, the crowd knows no reason, and soon, the man is intentionally thrown from the bridge to his death; much to the elation of the audience he has gathered. Welcome to fucking Humanity. We hope you enjoy your stay. (Despite my personal bias, it truly is a majestic and beautiful song. Deeply haunting and moving. I'm drunk and swaying back and forth as I sing along)

Of course, these are not all of my favorites. Indeed, they are not even all of the most moving, inspiring, and sentimental songs the band has released. Ultimately, the only reason I'm stopping here is because if I didn't; I could list entire albums' worth of music.

Perhaps I'm simply wasted and attempting to thrust this incredible music upon those who aren't really that interested to begin with. Perhaps a few will be interested, but wont ultimately feel what it is that I feel when I listen. And that's ok. Because this wondrous and awe-inspiring art is my own little world, and you may take it or leave it as you please. But then...I do hope you might take a moment to share it with me.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
04-04-2013, 08:44 AM
RE: Rammstein
Emmm, how could you leave this one out? The most epic MV ever.

Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ELK12695's post
04-04-2013, 10:36 AM
Kraut-Rock Laughat

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
04-04-2013, 12:15 PM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2013 02:13 PM by Peanut.)
Clap Misanthropik tells beautiful stories...

Bowing Misanthropik caused me to want to watch all the videos and imagine the scenarios in my head as though I were watching a movie...

Heart Misanthropik loves music and I appreciate that about him. (I appreciate that about ANYONE.)

Cool Misanthropik got me to listen to a WHOLE Rammstein song...

Drinking Beverage I'm done.

Consider For now...

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
[+] 1 user Likes Peanut's post
04-04-2013, 12:51 PM
(04-04-2013 12:15 PM)Peanut Wrote:  Clap Misanthropik has a small penis...

Bowing Misanthropik caused me to want to vomit...

Heart Misanthropik loves chewing on his penis and I appreciate that that about him. (I appreciate that about ANYONE.)

Cool Misanthropik got me to shit one of the longest turds of my life...

Consider For now...

*fixt*

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
04-04-2013, 01:07 PM
(04-04-2013 12:51 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(04-04-2013 12:15 PM)Peanut Wrote:  Clap Misanthropik has a small penis...

Bowing Misanthropik caused me to want to vomit...

Heart Misanthropik loves chewing on his penis and I appreciate that that about him. (I appreciate that about ANYONE.)

Cool Misanthropik got me to shit one of the longest turds of my life...

Consider For now...

*fixt*

[Image: 8815587378083501_l.jpg]

[Image: john,simm,lol,the,mastahhh,the,master-d5...5fe0_h.jpg]

"HA! That was funny...Now I'm feeling like they were making fun of me. NOW I think I'm mad. Na... 'twas overall funny." Thumbsup

*And that is the thought process of Peanut on a given day*

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
04-04-2013, 01:34 PM
(04-04-2013 01:07 PM)Peanut Wrote:  
(04-04-2013 12:51 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  *fixt*

[Image: 8815587378083501_l.jpg]

[Image: john,simm,lol,the,mastahhh,the,master-d5...5fe0_h.jpg]

"HA! That was funny...Now I'm feeling like they were making fun of me. NOW I think I'm mad. Na... 'twas overall funny." Thumbsup

*And that is the thought process of Peanut on a given day*

Heavens to Murgatroyd! I was not mocking you, dear Goober-Girl. I just haven't had a chance to fuck with Missy for a long while. Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
04-04-2013, 02:10 PM
(04-04-2013 01:34 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Heavens to Murgatroyd! I was not mocking you, dear Goober-Girl. I just haven't had a chance to fuck with Missy for a long while. Tongue
Ah... By all means, carry on Drinking Beverage

[+] 1 user Likes Peanut's post
04-04-2013, 05:02 PM
(04-04-2013 08:44 AM)ELK12695 Wrote:  Emmm, how could you leave this one out? The most epic MV ever.

"Of course, these are not all of my favorites. Indeed, they are not even all of the most moving, inspiring, and sentimental songs the band has released. Ultimately, the only reason I'm stopping here is because if I didn't; I could list entire albums' worth of music."

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
04-04-2013, 07:36 PM
Reminds of good times. I spent my early days of being a German language major with a notebook and dictionary, translating "heirate mich", among others, until I started to understand the lyrics. Did the same with other German bands, but R+ has a special place in my heart. And my ankle, I will confess to having 2 band tattoos and they are one of them.

My friend's son has gotten into Rammstein in recent years, I gave him my silk flag and a russian import CD, and a shirt I never wore.
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post