Ran over a cat

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-09-2012, 02:05 AM
Ran over a cat
I accidentally hit a cat tonight with my car. I was rounding a curve and saw a black shadow dart toward me outside my window and the my rear tire made a *thump*.

I turned around and it was someone's cat. The damn thing literallly dove under my car.

I feel like a douche. This feeling has been compounded by the fact that it was 1:30 in the morning, in front of the owner's home...and I simply drove away. I could have knocked on their door, but who wants to wake up to some dumbass holding their dead Mr. Fluffy? I figured it would be ok since it was directly in front of their house, so the deed will become known when they wake up and look outside. More than anything, I just feel bad for the dim-witted, suicidal cat. I mean, I had JUST fed and watered my own cat before leaving, so poor innocent kitties were at the forefront of my mind. Then the stupid thing runs at my tire with full-intent and gets smacked at 45 MPH. I drive nightly, and 99.99% of the cats I see are smart enough to either stay where the fuck they are, or quickly seek cover AWAY from my vehicle. It's usually rabbits who decide that safety is best saught on the *other* side of the road; then try to race me to the crossing point, only to dive directly into the path of my all-terrains and "RBTS-HD-GOES-HR" license plate. Cats are the smart ones. Cats know how to assess the threat and respond accordingly. But this one just went bug-eyed and paniced, and was unable to prevent himself from getting a curb-stomp from my tire, because apparently he was tired of the nice but Parkinson's-afflicted old lady who would rather spill the cat food all over the kitchen floor instead of placing it directly into the bowl - the way all self-righteous and narcissistic cats like it. With this in mind, he apparently made every possible effort to ensure that his life ended with immediacy, and my tire provided the perfect opportunity.

What the little bastard didn't consider (assuming he cared at all) was the fact that I love cats, and would have to suffer the guilt of striking one with my car, and the subsequent moral and emotional dilema this would place upon me in regard to telling the owners. Having thought that dilema through in a matter of minutes, I came to the conclusion (a conclusion that I questioned repeatedly for the remainder of my drive) that I should simply drive away - after checking to see if the animal was not suffering, of course - and leave the situation to play itself out naturally. Old Lady Tremors will find the cat in the morning, thus granting her closure as to the cat's demise, and I am spared (though I do not deserve such mercy) the intensely awkward ordeal of having to personally confront her to tell her that "I was listening to some Slipknot, and the music was like all loud and I was REALLY getting into it, and then I don't know, he just kind of jumped under my car, I didn't see him until it was too late".

I'm a douche, I know. I considered leaving a note by the body, but that seemed even worse than simply driving away. Plus, the very notion makes me laugh. So, I figured I'd confess my transgression in the most cowardly way possible: by making a thread about it on the internet.

I'm a bad person. Sad

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-09-2012, 10:17 AM
RE: Ran over a cat
Well, whatever your choices were, they are done. You were probably basing these choices out of a shocked and panicked mind. The fact that it bugs you shows you care.

It was an accident, nothing you did on purpose- especially since you like cats and have your own that you care for.

An unfortunate event that now needs time and space between when it happened and what is happening now. And the more time, the easier it will get.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like LadyJane's post
05-09-2012, 10:39 AM
I understand why you feel bad. Even if you weren't a "cat person" there's just nothing good about hitting a critter. I think the most important thing you could have done was going back to make sure the cat wasn't suffering. You did that. Take comfort.

I also think that just moving on wasn't nessecarily the wrong choice. Sometimes things that cause confrontation are better left alone. The cats owner would be no less upset if you showed up at the door. They may have, however, gotten angry. That may still be the case, but hey, you did what you did, and handled it as best you could at the time. Go ahead and forgive yourself.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 4 users Like Stark Raving's post
05-09-2012, 10:43 AM
Don't worry. Cat has another 8 lives.
You've seen Tom and Jerry, right?
After you went out of sight, it peeled itself of the tarmac, shook itself back into shape and sped off into the night.

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
05-09-2012, 10:47 AM
(05-09-2012 02:05 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  I accidentally hit a cat tonight with my car. I was rounding a curve and saw a black shadow dart toward me outside my window and the my rear tire made a *thump*.

I turned around and it was someone's cat. The damn thing literallly dove under my car.

I feel like a douche. This feeling has been compounded by the fact that it was 1:30 in the morning, in front of the owner's home...and I simply drove away. I could have knocked on their door, but who wants to wake up to some dumbass holding their dead Mr. Fluffy? I figured it would be ok since it was directly in front of their house, so the deed will become known when they wake up and look outside. More than anything, I just feel bad for the dim-witted, suicidal cat. I mean, I had JUST fed and watered my own cat before leaving, so poor innocent kitties were at the forefront of my mind. Then the stupid thing runs at my tire with full-intent and gets smacked at 45 MPH. I drive nightly, and 99.99% of the cats I see are smart enough to either stay where the fuck they are, or quickly seek cover AWAY from my vehicle. It's usually rabbits who decide that safety is best saught on the *other* side of the road; then try to race me to the crossing point, only to dive directly into the path of my all-terrains and "RBTS-HD-GOES-HR" license plate. Cats are the smart ones. Cats know how to assess the threat and respond accordingly. But this one just went bug-eyed and paniced, and was unable to prevent himself from getting a curb-stomp from my tire, because apparently he was tired of the nice but Parkinson's-afflicted old lady who would rather spill the cat food all over the kitchen floor instead of placing it directly into the bowl - the way all self-righteous and narcissistic cats like it. With this in mind, he apparently made every possible effort to ensure that his life ended with immediacy, and my tire provided the perfect opportunity.

What the little bastard didn't consider (assuming he cared at all) was the fact that I love cats, and would have to suffer the guilt of striking one with my car, and the subsequent moral and emotional dilema this would place upon me in regard to telling the owners. Having thought that dilema through in a matter of minutes, I came to the conclusion (a conclusion that I questioned repeatedly for the remainder of my drive) that I should simply drive away - after checking to see if the animal was not suffering, of course - and leave the situation to play itself out naturally. Old Lady Tremors will find the cat in the morning, thus granting her closure as to the cat's demise, and I am spared (though I do not deserve such mercy) the intensely awkward ordeal of having to personally confront her to tell her that "I was listening to some Slipknot, and the music was like all loud and I was REALLY getting into it, and then I don't know, he just kind of jumped under my car, I didn't see him until it was too late".

I'm a douche, I know. I considered leaving a note by the body, but that seemed even worse than simply driving away. Plus, the very notion makes me laugh. So, I figured I'd confess my transgression in the most cowardly way possible: by making a thread about it on the internet.

I'm a bad person. Sad

You didn't kill the cat. The owner who allowed their cat to roam free killed the cat.

I think you handled it the right way. How do you know which house was the owner's?

You could send them a note, anonymous or signed, to say you're sorry it happened, you love cats, etc. It might make you feel better.
05-09-2012, 05:33 PM (This post was last modified: 05-09-2012 05:38 PM by GirlyMan.)
Cats are stupid. "Roughly 80 percent of camera-equipped cats encountered a risky situation at least once a week." ... And they will FUCKING EAT YOU!

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
05-09-2012, 09:05 PM
(05-09-2012 05:33 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Cats are stupid. "Roughly 80 percent of camera-equipped cats encountered a risky situation at least once a week." ... And they will FUCKING EAT YOU!

Saves the freakin' cost of a funeral, GM! Tongue

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 1 user Likes aurora's post
05-09-2012, 10:56 PM
I know how you feel mate, although the thing that I hit was a skunk. I still felt terrible about it, even though it wasn't someones pet.

Contribute to the Community Resource!
[+] 1 user Likes Near's post
05-09-2012, 11:36 PM
Hug

Not an easy thing to go through. Chin up! At least it wasn't Old-Lady-Tremors!

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
06-09-2012, 01:26 AM
I'm actually not that worried about it. lol. Just felt a little shitty and felt like relaying my experience - humor still fully intact.

*UPDATE*

I drove by the spot again tonight, and the precious little kitty that was previously laying on it's side with it's tongue hanging out had become a mangled wreckage of flesh and bone from the 50+ cars that have since run it over in the past 26 hours.

I hate to admit it, but it made me burst into laughter. Not quite the poetic ending that I had imagined. That's my life I guess. Lmao

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
[+] 2 users Like Misanthropik's post