Random Bible Post

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-10-2014, 01:37 PM
Random Bible Post
I stumbled upon this verse while looking at something else:

Luke 2:5 Wrote:And Jesus grew in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and man.

I read this along time ago, but when I just read it again, I thought it was odd that Jesus, being God, would grow in wisdom. So I wondered what the context of this was and I looked it up:

Luke 2:41-52
Quote:The Boy Jesus at the Temple

41 Every year Jesus’ parents went to Jerusalem for the Festival of the Passover. 42 When he was twelve years old, they went up to the festival, according to the custom. 43 After the festival was over, while his parents were returning home, the boy Jesus stayed behind in Jerusalem, but they were unaware of it. 44 Thinking he was in their company, they traveled on for a day. Then they began looking for him among their relatives and friends. 45 When they did not find him, they went back to Jerusalem to look for him. 46 After three days they found him in the temple courts, sitting among the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions. 47 Everyone who heard him was amazed at his understanding and his answers. 48 When his parents saw him, they were astonished. His mother said to him, “Son, why have you treated us like this? Your father and I have been anxiously searching for you.”

49 “Why were you searching for me?” he asked. “Didn’t you know I had to be in my Father’s house?”[f] 50 But they did not understand what he was saying to them.

51 Then he went down to Nazareth with them and was obedient to them. But his mother treasured all these things in her heart. 52 And Jesus grew in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and man.
So first Jesus is disobedient toward his parents. So much for "honor thy father and mother".

Then he says "Didn't you know I had to be in my Father's house?" when they later find him. But he's God, didn't he know that they did not know?

And then, of course it ends with him growing in wisdom AND in favor with God... er, himself. What a guy, patting himself on the back for learning, um, knowing, um displaying his infinite knowledge to everyone.

And, by the way, since Jesus was a completely unknown person at that time, why was anyone recording what he did at 12 years old? Moreover, since we know that the gospels were all written long after Jesus died by no one that knew him, why would the authors have known anything about what he did at age 12? (Rhetorical.)

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Impulse's post
20-10-2014, 02:03 PM
RE: Random Bible Post
(20-10-2014 01:37 PM)Impulse Wrote:  50 But they did not understand what he was saying to them.

Well, you can see how easy it'd be for Mary and Joseph to forget all that annunciating and virgin birthing and visiting magi. That was more than 12 years prior after all.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
20-10-2014, 02:10 PM
(20-10-2014 02:03 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(20-10-2014 01:37 PM)Impulse Wrote:  50 But they did not understand what he was saying to them.

Well, you can see how easy it'd be for Mary and Joseph to forget all that annunciating and virgin birthing and visiting magi. That was more than 12 years prior after all.
Ha! Another flaw. 10 points. Thumbsup

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
20-10-2014, 02:14 PM
(20-10-2014 02:10 PM)Impulse Wrote:  Ha! Another flaw. 10 points. Thumbsup

Thanks, but 10 points is too generous given the low level of difficulty in finding flaws in the biblical narratives.
Drinking Beverage

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
20-10-2014, 02:32 PM
(20-10-2014 02:14 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(20-10-2014 02:10 PM)Impulse Wrote:  Ha! Another flaw. 10 points. Thumbsup

Thanks, but 10 points is too generous given the low level of difficulty in finding flaws in the biblical narratives.
Drinking Beverage

Point(s) taken.
0.000000000001 points. Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
20-10-2014, 04:43 PM
Skip to the bit about him fighting dragons...

It was in there somewhere.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
21-10-2014, 03:25 AM
add this to the list of biblical inconsistent list in the site
21-10-2014, 05:56 AM
(20-10-2014 01:37 PM)Impulse Wrote:  I stumbled upon this verse while looking at something else:

Luke 2:5 Wrote:And Jesus grew in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and man.

I read this along time ago, but when I just read it again, I thought it was odd that Jesus, being God, would grow in wisdom.

That's because you're reading Luke. The first three Gospels don't actually posit that Jesus was God; he's a man. The whole notion of Jesus actually being God didn't come about until several decades later when John was written.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
21-10-2014, 11:43 AM
(20-10-2014 01:37 PM)Impulse Wrote:  I stumbled upon this verse while looking at something else:

To grow in stature involves the accretion of bone and soft tissue. Where did this come from in the case of Jesus? When Jesus ate food, what happened to it? Was it digested and metabolized as it is in the rest of us? Were the constituents then incorporated into the body of Jesus? Can ordinary meat and vegetables become divine?

Puzzledly,

Doc
21-10-2014, 12:27 PM
(20-10-2014 04:43 PM)Sam Wrote:  Skip to the bit about him fighting dragons...

It was in there somewhere.

If you're willing to go outside of strict Biblical canon, he fights demons. On the moon. Bonus points: he does it before his alleged birth! That shit's hardcore, and is likely the basis for a lot of Robert Rodriguez movies.

Machete Kills Again: In Space!