Poll: I am:
A jet pilot
A high-speed train engineer
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Random pointless and unimportant lifestyle philosophy issue of the week

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-08-2011, 12:01 PM
Big Grin Random pointless and unimportant lifestyle philosophy issue of the week
[Image: Driving-automatic-vs-stick-shift.jpg]

However, Observer says:

How I feel while driving standard...

How I feel while driving automatic...

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-08-2011, 12:59 PM
RE: Random pointless and unimportant lifestyle philosophy issue of the week
Smile

So you have "a proper gearbox" or a "stupid flappy paddle gearbox" or even worse, just plain old automatic for people who don't know how to properly drive a car and change gears...

Smile

I hope you watch Top Gear, but that original British version, not that USA wanna-be-Top-Gear... They have explained it over and over, every proper driver who wants to drive a car will get one with a proper gearbox.

Now for my personal experience, you can never drive automatic the same way you drive manual. There is one and one major problem with automatic, you can not break with your engine and shift 2 gears down while breaking with your breaks at the same time, that maneuver is for manual or stupid flappy paddle gearbox only, and stupid flappy paddle gearbox is called that way for multiple reasons. Also it makes no sense to let the car decide how many revs I want in some gear, high or low revs make a lot of difference while driving like I drive form time to time, so if you want to keep your car in 2 gear on high revs without changing gears to third, you must have at least a semi-automatic. I'm sorry, I just can not imagine myself driving around in anything that doesn't have a proper gearbox, it all looks like toys for little children. Plus, the clutch can be extremely helpful thing offroad, driving a car without a clutch is a whole different thing, a thing that misses one out of three pedals.

It is the same thing with video games, when I was younger I always played with automatic, now when I play I tend to change them manually and the result is awesome, for example Gran Tourismo is so much more fun and even easier if you use it with manual, you can control the top speed of the car just with your revs and gears you use. So much more options with a manual.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
16-08-2011, 01:10 PM
I love Top Gear, but in recent seasons they seem to rather enjoy the flappy-paddle gear-boxes...

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
16-08-2011, 01:51 PM
(16-08-2011 12:59 PM)Filox Wrote:  There is one and one major problem with automatic, you can not break with your engine and shift 2 gears down while breaking with your breaks at the same time
Ah, yes...
I vividly remember me needing that maneuver while I was still driving a manual shifted car. Te last time was... Let's see... never Tongue

You are right about the Off-road stuff though. But I never go off-road either. The only time I miss my manual is when it's snowing, but I have traction control for that.

I find it very strange that people have the idea to think they have better insight in shifting then a computer knowing the complete performance-curve of the engine while it is simultaneously fed with tons of data at the same time.
Pride I guess...

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
16-08-2011, 03:48 PM
It gets icy here. Very icy. I have used my engine to brake more times than I can count. In a manual I can stop quickly in an emergency while I watch people in automatics fly right past me while listening to their ABS rattle away.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
16-08-2011, 04:15 PM
I have an automatic gearbox (tiptronic) and I'm not ashamed of it. When you're in for long drives and horrible traffic jams, an automatic gearbox is great. Now I can at least read a book while stuck in traffic. If you'd get stuck for 1-6 hours every day of the week, you'd be glad to have 2 free hands.

"Infinitus est numerus stultorum." (The number of fools is infinite)
16-08-2011, 07:29 PM
(16-08-2011 03:48 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  It gets icy here. Very icy. I have used my engine to brake more times than I can count. In a manual I can stop quickly in an emergency while I watch people in automatics fly right past me while listening to their ABS rattle away.

I have become a shameless luddite over road rage etc here downunder and take public transport. The problem there of course is scary feral passengers.
If you act really mad yourself they tend to ignore you.Shy
17-08-2011, 07:12 AM (This post was last modified: 17-08-2011 07:20 AM by Filox.)
Good things you said here, if you are driving long distances and if you are stuck in traffic jams for hours, then automatic is great for you, but if you are driving on roads like I do, empty roads with tons of curves and no straight lines, then the automatic is not for you by any means. And it is not pride that tells me I can change gears better than automatic, it is the fact that automatic does not know what will I do next, so it can not prepare itself or hold that gear if I need it for some reason. And breaking is always better with manual than with any automatic, I can drive for miles and miles around my island without ever touching the breaks. Also, I can drive much more economical, and yes, manual gearshift saves fuel, it is lighter and if you know how to drive economically, you can save more fuel than with an automatic. And I always preferred mechanics over electronics, that is why I consider Lada Niva and Land Rover Defender to be THE best terrain vehicles ever build, no electronics, everything is mechanical and that is the reason those 2 are the cars you will see getting all other SUVs and terrain cars out of trouble. Driving is combination of man and machine, not man, computer and machine...

P.S.
@ Observer
Breaking with engine is not a maneuver you need to do in certain situations, it is normal way of driving, while breaking, you always shift down, if you need to break fast, you shift 2 gears down. It is something I learned back in the driving school, not something I invented for fun purposes. If you do not use your engine while breaking, you use up more of your breaks, they heat more and you will have to buy new ones sooner. Breaking with engine also saves your fuel, because instead of letting the motor run in neutral, you give him the power of motion to work, so it does not use any fuel in those moments. In neutral motor has to give a bit of power for keeping it going.

Only thing I like with automatics is if they have "snow" button, it is much easier to drive automatic on snow if it has that option, the the computer can help you pretty much, specially uphill. But I don't have snow here, ever, so it is unnecessary.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson