Random thoughts

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-07-2014, 03:32 PM (This post was last modified: 13-07-2014 03:38 PM by Dom.)
Random thoughts
So I was hanging out in the garden with a cold one and a smoke today and just let my thoughts drift freely. I love doing this, hence I call myself a freethinker Tongue

Today's topic was randomness and here are some excerpts:

People hate randomness and just about everything we have or do is built on that.

Animals hate randomness also, and their intelligence (I am going to define that as recording of stimuli, ordering them into categories, and pulling from this pool to form decisions to shape the present or future) is also built on that.

We spend our lives pretty much trying to predict what is going to happen next by recalling what has happened before.

We are soothed by routines, whether that is a cup of coffee in the morning, a nightcap, showers, and and and - we all have lots of little routines we follow almost every day. Maybe we have different weekend routines. But - we try to keep things predictable in general.

The sciences try to make sense of randomness also. We have invented most everything as a result of an attempt to defeat randomness of outcome.

The age old, thriving gambling industry profits from this in an odd way - it presents people with randomness and eggs them on to outsmart it. There are a zillion Roulette "systems" and so forth, slots players try to reduce randomness by betting successive amounts or hitting buttons at different time intervals and what have you.

Superstitions are supposed to reduce randomness and help control outcome. Sports players wearing certain clothing, bingo players using dolls or various knick knacks to influence the outcome all are ways to ward off randomness.

And, of course the god of the gaps and religion in general is based on a desire to avoid randomness.

So, there are some of today's random thoughts about randomness. Tongue

Penny for your thoughts!

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-07-2014, 03:40 PM
RE: Random thoughts
(13-07-2014 03:32 PM)Dom Wrote:  Penny for your thoughts!

You know it's quite random, but every now and then everything seems just fine. There's no telling when or where it will hit, but when it does I think it's important to enjoy the shit out of that feeling for everything it's worth. Because so much of our lives are spent feeling like everything could spiral out of control at any second. But every once in a great while, for whatever reason, things are okay. And you're going to be okay, and it's great to be alive.

I'm not gonna worry about tomorrow right now, because right now is good.

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
13-07-2014, 04:34 PM (This post was last modified: 13-07-2014 04:41 PM by GirlyMan.)
(13-07-2014 03:32 PM)Dom Wrote:  Penny for your thoughts!

Entropy. The center cannot hold.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
13-07-2014, 05:50 PM
I always wonder what intermediate forms of related animal groups look like when we have no transitional fossil found? I usually mix the anatomy of the one group with another. This question is what drives me to learn more.

[Image: get_some_by_addmedia-d78ip4k.gif] All request for metazoa info and my larger projects should be sent PM
13-07-2014, 06:20 PM
(13-07-2014 05:50 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  I always wonder what intermediate forms of related animal groups look like when we have no transitional fossil found? I usually mix the anatomy of the one group with another. This question is what drives me to learn more.

Could make for some interesting art work. Smile

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man