Random thoughts

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-07-2017, 08:54 PM
RE: Random thoughts
(25-07-2017 04:15 PM)Dworkin Wrote:  
(24-07-2017 11:08 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Well, McCain is 80 years old, and Kennedy was 77 when he died. If you live long enough, you will eventually get cancer. I used to think it was some exotic disease, but I know a bunch of people who have it or have died from it (including my entire immediate family).

Folks,

Our neighbour (40 yrs old) died of brain cancer on Saturday. It was exactly 6 weeks from his diagnosis to his death, and the docs predicted that to the day.

D.

Buzz kill. Sadcryface
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
28-07-2017, 07:50 PM (This post was last modified: 28-07-2017 08:00 PM by Vera.)
I am such a princess and the pea, honestly! The pillow I'm resting on while I'm editing (the same pages again Dodgy ) has tiny shiny lamé decorations and god are they scratching my delicate sensibilities skin so much, that I had to cover it with a bit of sheet...

Also, wool is a no-no without several protective layers underneath and do not even get me started on those labels from hell at the back of shirts and blouses. They are of the devil Censored

[Image: 2006-09-17C-500x259.gif]

Also: The Princess And The Pea, If The Pea Were A Small Piece Of Mild Criticism

“Well, we’ll soon find that out,” thought the old queen. But she said nothing, went into the bed-room, took all the bedding off the bedstead, and laid a piece of mild criticism on the bottom; then she took twenty compliments and laid them on the criticism, and then twenty genuine, loving friendships on top of the compliments and then also a perfectly good life full of interesting work and fulfilling interests and rewarding relationships on top of that.

On this the princess had to lie all night. In the morning she was asked how she had slept.

“Oh, very badly!” said she. “I have scarcely closed my eyes all night. Heaven only knows what was in the bed, but I was lying on something painful, so unbelievably destructive, so that I am black and blue all over my body. It’s horrible!”

Now they knew that she was a real princess because she had felt the piece of mild criticism right through the twenty compliments and the twenty genuine, loving friendships and the perfectly good life full of interesting work and fulfilling interests and rewarding relationships on top of that.

Nobody but a real princess could be as sensitive as that.

So the prince took her for his wife, for now he knew that he had a real princess; and the piece of criticism was put in the museum, where it may still be seen, if no one has stolen it, but she never forgot it.

She never forgot it.

There, that is a true story."

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
28-07-2017, 09:12 PM
(28-07-2017 07:50 PM)Vera Wrote:  I am such a princess and the pea, honestly! The pillow I'm resting on while I'm editing (the same pages again Dodgy ) has tiny shiny lamé decorations and god are they scratching my delicate sensibilities skin so much, that I had to cover it with a bit of sheet...

Also, wool is a no-no without several protective layers underneath and do not even get me started on those labels from hell at the back of shirts and blouses. They are of the devil Censored

[Image: 2006-09-17C-500x259.gif]

Also: The Princess And The Pea, If The Pea Were A Small Piece Of Mild Criticism

“Well, we’ll soon find that out,” thought the old queen. But she said nothing, went into the bed-room, took all the bedding off the bedstead, and laid a piece of mild criticism on the bottom; then she took twenty compliments and laid them on the criticism, and then twenty genuine, loving friendships on top of the compliments and then also a perfectly good life full of interesting work and fulfilling interests and rewarding relationships on top of that.

On this the princess had to lie all night. In the morning she was asked how she had slept.

“Oh, very badly!” said she. “I have scarcely closed my eyes all night. Heaven only knows what was in the bed, but I was lying on something painful, so unbelievably destructive, so that I am black and blue all over my body. It’s horrible!”

Now they knew that she was a real princess because she had felt the piece of mild criticism right through the twenty compliments and the twenty genuine, loving friendships and the perfectly good life full of interesting work and fulfilling interests and rewarding relationships on top of that.

Nobody but a real princess could be as sensitive as that.

So the prince took her for his wife, for now he knew that he had a real princess; and the piece of criticism was put in the museum, where it may still be seen, if no one has stolen it, but she never forgot it.

She never forgot it.

There, that is a true story."

The Princess ad the Pea was my favorite story when I was a little girl. I don't know what that says about me, psychologically, but I love this version.

Did anyone else have a series of books called Childcraft Books? Not all fairy tales like this by any means.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
28-07-2017, 09:52 PM
(28-07-2017 09:12 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  I don't know what that says about me, psychologically, but I love this version.

I daren't say, lest you take it as a small piece of mild criticism and never forget it Tongue

Quote:The Princess ad the Pea was my favorite story when I was a little girl.

Well, Andersen *is* one of a kind. My mum had this book with several of his tales with the most gorgeous illustrations ever (by the great Maraja)...

[Image: d6472231442d53cbd2be8e9c67ad2877.jpg]

... and I had a bigger one with those... those things Facepalm

[Image: lz10.jpg]

But seriously, my Indian (based on the Mahabharata and Ramayana) and African tales, illustrated by Maraja were the most gorgeous thing ever Heart

[Image: 43993bfc8f0978ef44938c5eb16c573e.jpg]

[Image: 9eabf0c3b1a38960145c5a9aa981cd72.jpg]

[Image: 1779405_1.jpg]

(Like I might have mentioned before, I might have had a crush on Arjuna Blush )

Quote:Did anyone else have a series of books called Childcraft Books? Not all fairy tales like this by any means.

Looked them up. Seem interesting. My fave as a kid (among many) was a huge book with ancient greek myths and one about opera - is why I know the librettos of so many operas and can thus appear way more sophisticated than I actually am Rolleyes

(I also, despite what I studied at uni) get pretty much all my knowledge about Shakespearean plots from here Rolleyes

29-07-2017, 12:13 AM
(28-07-2017 09:52 PM)Vera Wrote:  Well, Andersen *is* one of a kind. My mum had this book with several of his tales with the most gorgeous illustrations ever (by the great Maraja)...

[Image: d6472231442d53cbd2be8e9c67ad2877.jpg]

... and I had a bigger one with those... those things Facepalm

[Image: lz10.jpg]

But seriously, my Indian (based on the Mahabharata and Ramayana) and African tales, illustrated by Maraja were the most gorgeous thing ever Heart

[Image: 43993bfc8f0978ef44938c5eb16c573e.jpg]

[Image: 9eabf0c3b1a38960145c5a9aa981cd72.jpg]

[Image: 1779405_1.jpg]

(Like I might have mentioned before, I might have had a crush on Arjuna Blush )

I GREW UP WITH THOSE!!! Holy shit Smile They were seriously the most beautiful story illustrations ever.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
29-07-2017, 12:25 AM
Which ones, the African ones? Or the Indian? They truly are!

(Though the illustrations by Ilon Wikland of Astrid Lindgren's books - especially The Brothers Lionheart, love of my life Heart ) are a close second [Image: 36d31e4edbc8996d134544cb2124ddf7.jpg]

And here Astrid Lindgren is, this wonderful, most lovely of human beings, climbing a tree Heart

[Image: 7f5963b677dcb2699e22ed9e4936aa5b--pippi-...ndgren.jpg]

29-07-2017, 12:29 AM
Actually it was the African ones. The story of the daughter of the Sun and Moon. And the girl who was captured by the water spirit, if I recall correctly. God those were fantastic. Absolutely stunning art.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
29-07-2017, 12:48 AM

So I'm wondering how many on here would spit-drink / cream their pants if I posted a thread called...

He's GONE! Supreme Court Rules On Corruption

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
29-07-2017, 01:03 AM
(29-07-2017 12:29 AM)morondog Wrote:  Actually it was the African ones. The story of the daughter of the Sun and Moon. And the girl who was captured by the water spirit, if I recall correctly. God those were fantastic. Absolutely stunning art.

Absolutely!

[Image: 8ab742f427496ffbf8519aa0624a949f.jpg]

[Image: 57896c72e568efb4ef9a858e108b93ce.jpg]

The tales were very interesting, too. He's illustrated a book of Chinese and Japanese ones, too, I think. Such a nice way to expose kids to totally different cultures. Even to totally different-looking people (as was the case in my country back then)

[Image: 11de0a88caff89d83d8312e7fa10bb43.jpg]

29-07-2017, 05:13 AM
(25-07-2017 04:15 PM)Dworkin Wrote:  
(24-07-2017 11:08 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Well, McCain is 80 years old, and Kennedy was 77 when he died. If you live long enough, you will eventually get cancer. I used to think it was some exotic disease, but I know a bunch of people who have it or have died from it (including my entire immediate family).

Folks,

Our neighbour (40 yrs old) died of brain cancer on Saturday. It was exactly 6 weeks from his diagnosis to his death, and the docs predicted that to the day.

D.

> I consider myself fortunate to have survived after a radical prostatectomy and six weeks' radiation treatment. Consider
[+] 3 users Like Gwaithmir's post