Random thoughts

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-08-2017, 04:41 AM
RE: Random thoughts
(21-08-2017 11:16 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(21-08-2017 11:07 PM)morondog Wrote:  Yow. Tough crowd...
... but yeah, thinking fast isn't his strong suit.
... Also, I do think here in SA there's a slightly different sense of humour for a lot of things - not hugely but enough to be noticeable, meaning that it's harder to hit the right note with American audiences.

I get what you guys are saying... He's not quite Jewish enough.

Angel

His mother is Jewish.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
22-08-2017, 06:24 AM
(21-08-2017 11:07 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(21-08-2017 10:43 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  100% agree. I wanted to like him, the fact that Jon hand-picked him I thought was great he's gotta be good and ....I just can't stand him. Just watch the Crossfire interview with Jon and you can see how quick on his feet he is and Trevor just ..isn't. At all.

Yow. Tough crowd... I do rather like him but then I'm a bit partisan. You get an opportunity like this as a comedian, you damn well take it and run. He was picked out of the blue. For a guy who had to build his life from scratch, no qualifications... to afford to live in New York, to be watched by millions. Someone offers you that, you don't turn it down. That said, I think he *isn't* amazingly funny. He can deliver his lines and he works hard, but yeah, thinking fast isn't his strong suit. With a prepared show he's awesome, South Africa was a good place for him to be a big fish, but stepping into the shoes of a legend like Jon Stewart... I think *anyone* would have had problems. Also, I do think here in SA there's a slightly different sense of humour for a lot of things - not hugely but enough to be noticeable, meaning that it's harder to hit the right note with American audiences.

He isn't funny and I don't think he gets American politics like an American, or someone who has bought into the American way of life. Maybe in 5 or 10 more years, he'll see himself as an American and I'll feel differently. On the few episodes I've watched, I noticed him drawing references from American politics to South African politics. It just reinforces that he doesn't see himself as an American, so he has no business filling the role he's filling. I don't see him as an ally who shares my pain. I see him as some foreign, know-it-all prick who makes fun of us.

I'm not mad at Trevor Noah for taking the job. Shit, if a foreign country wanted to pay me to make fun of them, I'd take the job. I think Comedy Central made a huge misstep in passing up their existing talent pool in favor of this guy. Samantha Bee, Jason Jones, Jessica Williams, John Oliver, Aasif Mandvi, and even Jordan Klepper were all primed and ready to take up the mantle. (Jordan Klepper was new then, but if they were considering Noah, they should have considered Klepper). If they wanted to appeal to Millennials so badly, Jessica Williams was perfect (and my personal pick). Most of those correspondents left the show around the time that Trevor Noah came on. They got fucked over for the promotion of a life time, and the Daily Show deserved to lose them.

Klepper did ultimately get his own show, which starts September 25th. I'll be watching. Smile
22-08-2017, 06:32 AM
And thus began... the clown wars Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
22-08-2017, 07:57 AM (This post was last modified: 22-08-2017 09:31 AM by Vera.)
(18-08-2017 11:01 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Fuck Trevor Noah! He's not funny and those pants he's trying to wear are way too big for him. It's one thing to make jokes about the US as an American... then you're laughing with us. It's another thing to make fun of us and laugh at us.

I am sorry to be that person, but when you choose to become the world's laughing stock *after* appointing yourselves the world's moral authority *and* police, then, yeah, we *are* going to laugh at you. Now, "American" as a compliment (or "anti-American" as an insult) - that's some funny shit right there...

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
22-08-2017, 08:56 AM
OT500---I'm so glad that NASA had the balls to tell Trump "no." At least somebody does.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
22-08-2017, 09:10 AM
(22-08-2017 06:24 AM)Aliza Wrote:  He isn't funny and I don't think he gets American politics like an American, or someone who has bought into the American way of life. Maybe in 5 or 10 more years, he'll see himself as an American and I'll feel differently. On the few episodes I've watched, I noticed him drawing references from American politics to South African politics. It just reinforces that he doesn't see himself as an American, so he has no business filling the role he's filling. I don't see him as an ally who shares my pain. I see him as some foreign, know-it-all prick who makes fun of us.

When I see him drawing references from SA politics I see him using his experience. We know what it's like to live under Trump, we've had our idiot for *years* - since 2010 to be precise. I haven't watched a hell of a lot of daily show, but what I've seen, I haven't thought he was laughing at you. Anyway, to each his own. It's not like anyone's forced to watch.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
22-08-2017, 09:18 AM
I glanced over next to me at a red light this morning and saw a guy with full-on mutton chops. This is the closest picture I could find online. His higher up sideburns area was wider though. I'd guess he was about in his 30s.

If I have a choice in killing only one men's hair fashion I will keep the man bun and hope that THIS does NOT become a "thing."

[Image: a1312922af703383657dede72654a8c7.jpg]
If I was his wife I would shave him in his sleep.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 4 users Like outtathereligioncloset's post
22-08-2017, 11:03 AM
I can't relate at all to the Baroque period.

Confused
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
22-08-2017, 11:16 AM
(21-08-2017 09:50 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  You know what was cool about today?

For a few hours, America seemed to forget about its problems. We had something else to focus on. It wasn't even important, in the grand scheme of things. It's not going to affect us at all except for the few brief moments that we weren't hating each other.

There's so much in the universe that can inspire that kind of awe and appreciation every day and every moment that we should always be looking up and out, trying to understand before we believe, and stop worrying about who's silly idea of a god is actually out there. So let's place some good natured bets and let the chips fall.

But for fuck's sake let's please stop killing each other for no good reason.
It really is just as easy as it was today, we just need to start valuing what is proven to be worthy of attention and beneficial to our existence.

Sometimes I wonder if our only hope is loterally a big giant meteor. If THAT doesn't unite us, then we deserve to be doomed.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
22-08-2017, 12:10 PM
(22-08-2017 09:18 AM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  I glanced over next to me at a red light this morning and saw a guy with full-on mutton chops. This is the closest picture I could find online. His higher up sideburns area was wider though. I'd guess he was about in his 30s.

If I have a choice in killing only one men's hair fashion I will keep the man bun and hope that THIS does NOT become a "thing."

[Image: a1312922af703383657dede72654a8c7.jpg]
If I was his wife I would shave him in his sleep.

[Image: isaac-asimov-9190737-1-402.jpg]

[Image: 290?cb=20130222063850]

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP