Random thoughts

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-03-2018, 04:53 PM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2018 04:57 PM by Kaneda.)
RE: Random thoughts
(02-03-2018 02:43 PM)Sexy_Jesus Wrote:  I have one New Year's resolution. In my entire life. And it doesn't apply until the year 2100. I'm 26, and when I saw the turn of the century, I was 8. If I live to see the next turn of the century, my New Year's resolution is to start chain smoking cigars until I'm dead.

If you somehow made it that far, you probably will have set some kind of obscure record. Why would you want to go and ruin a brilliant streak like that? I mean, unless you were in terrible health and had no real quality of life at that point?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-03-2018, 06:14 PM
I get it. My Daddy is 90 and a few months ago one of his doctors told him he needed to go on a cardio diet. He told them he was old enough to eat any damn thing he wanted.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams

"You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." Robin Williams
[+] 7 users Like outtathereligioncloset's post
04-03-2018, 11:39 AM
Does every secretary on this campus illegally use the conference rooms for their MLM stuff?

(Illegally, because apparently under state law, it is illegal to sell something using university property to host the event, unless it's a university activity.)

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
05-03-2018, 11:20 AM
"Holy cow, you're a really great writer" - thought after reading a student's reaction paper and Googling phrases from it to check for plagiarism because it's that well written and this is a 101 class. The student is seriously just that awesome. Smile

[+] 5 users Like Shai Hulud's post
05-03-2018, 12:36 PM
Thought of the day: How useful is the power of quackery in advancing societal goals?

Think about it: Bees are doing bad and sheit, make some ''miracle'' honey cure based on knowledge gained from the ancient Egyptians. Increased demand for honey -> increased demand for bees -> bees all around.
And like can you use this for other stuff.

This god, this one word: I.
-Ayn Rand
05-03-2018, 12:36 PM
(Posted reply twice by accident)

This god, this one word: I.
-Ayn Rand
06-03-2018, 01:10 PM
Heard something funny & ironic on the radio today. My wife listens to, and I briefly tolerate on the way to work, Christian rock music. This morning, a song came on which attempted to make a metaphorical link between the Christian god and a lighthouse (specifically, the song was titled "My Lighthouse" by Rend Collective). The overall message was that they would follow the lighthouse through the darkness and troubled sea so that they could safely reach shore, blah blah blah. It's apparently a very popular song in Christian rock circles.
Now, for those of you who aren't sailors or have a rudimentary understanding of seamanship, lighthouses aren't used to mark safe harbor. They're used to warn you away from rocky shores. Following one is how you wreck a ship.
Just thought I'd share a brief laugh.

A Catholic, an Atheist, a Muslim, a Jew, a Hindu, a Baptist, and a Pastafarian all walk into a bar. They chat, drink, laugh, and have a good time. There's no joke to be had. It's what happens when you're not a dick.
[+] 5 users Like Sexy_Jesus's post
06-03-2018, 05:25 PM
(05-03-2018 11:20 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  "Holy cow, you're a really great writer" - thought after reading a student's reaction paper and Googling phrases from it to check for plagiarism because it's that well written and this is a 101 class. The student is seriously just that awesome. Smile

Please tell them that! The encouraging words will be filed in their brain forever.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. -JF
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
08-03-2018, 08:19 PM
(06-03-2018 05:25 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(05-03-2018 11:20 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  "Holy cow, you're a really great writer" - thought after reading a student's reaction paper and Googling phrases from it to check for plagiarism because it's that well written and this is a 101 class. The student is seriously just that awesome. Smile

Please tell them that! The encouraging words will be filed in their brain forever.

Definitely did in the feedback! Big Grin Compare 'so good I thought they plagiarized' to one today who turned in, "I couldn't find any rubric or instructions anywhere on D2L." and that was it...the course home page, first thing you see is a News item, "Reaction Paper Instructions".

[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
09-03-2018, 03:43 PM
I used to think that I was doing something wrong with my rubbish, recycling and green waste bins, because they kept getting cracks and holes in them until stuff falls out through their sides.

Then I saw the abuse they get at the "hands" of the automated dump-it-in-the-truck mechanism. You'd think some mechanical engineer could come up with a dumping method that didn't beat the shit out of the bins. How many more bins need destroying before some desk-jockey realizes the money that could be *saved* by some good old-fashioned engineering?

Disappointing theists since 1968