Random thoughts

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-12-2016, 10:30 PM
RE: Random thoughts
IMO, one of the most memorable quotes from my philosophy of history professor is the following: “it is better to be a first rate mechanic than a fifth rate geometry professor.” Upon reflection, I also considered that it is better to be a first rate geometry professor than a fifth rate mechanic, and quite naturally, any imaginative person can continue with all sorts of possibilities. As a result, I often wonder how many people end up taking paths in life that they are not truly passionate about. How many people end up pursuing a particular outcome in order to live up to the expectations and preconceived normalcy of others rather than what is special to them? What would our world be like if everyone pursued a path that they loved?

"I'm fearful when I see people substituting fear for reason." Klaatu, from The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Kernel Sohcahtoa's post
06-12-2016, 11:01 PM
(06-12-2016 10:30 PM)Kernel Sohcahtoa Wrote:  IMO, one of the most memorable quotes from my philosophy of history professor is the following: “it is better to be a first rate mechanic than a fifth rate geometry professor.” Upon reflection, I also considered that it is better to be a first rate geometry professor than a fifth rate mechanic, and quite naturally, any imaginative person can continue with all sorts of possibilities. As a result, I often wonder how many people end up taking paths in life that they are not truly passionate about. How many people end up pursuing a particular outcome in order to live up to the expectations and preconceived normalcy of others rather than what is special to them? What would our world be like if everyone pursued a path that they loved?

Interesting. I think we'd have a lot more starving artists.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
06-12-2016, 11:17 PM
Hmmmmm.... what should I get Beau for his birthday?
06-12-2016, 11:24 PM
(06-12-2016 11:17 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Hmmmmm.... what should I get Beau for his birthday?

A better pet name?

Angel

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
06-12-2016, 11:25 PM
(06-12-2016 06:31 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  I was wondering earlier who was the first person to put pineapple on pizza? I know I could just Google it and I probably will but that must've been pretty weird at the time, it's not Italian at all. I bet it was an American.

Pizza isn't an Italian invention, anyway, it's American. Crazy Americans. Tongue
06-12-2016, 11:36 PM
(06-12-2016 11:24 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(06-12-2016 11:17 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Hmmmmm.... what should I get Beau for his birthday?

A better pet name?

Angel

Awww, don't be silly. His pet name isn't "Beau." It's... something else. Blush

Maybe you need a nice pet name for your birthday, DLJ. Coming up soon, right? Feb 9th? I'll get to thinking about it. Tongue
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
06-12-2016, 11:47 PM
(06-12-2016 11:25 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(06-12-2016 06:31 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  I was wondering earlier who was the first person to put pineapple on pizza? I know I could just Google it and I probably will but that must've been pretty weird at the time, it's not Italian at all. I bet it was an American.

Pizza isn't an Italian invention, anyway, it's American. Crazy Americans. Tongue

Citation needed.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-12-2016, 12:03 AM

Why don't you get Beau a.....

[Image: 1329152848555261256baby%20blue%20bow-hi.png]

Sometimes I can be a really funny person.........and then there are times I'm not. Rolleyes

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
07-12-2016, 12:22 AM
(07-12-2016 12:03 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  

Why don't you get Beau a.....

Sometimes I can be a really funny person.........and then there are times I'm not. Rolleyes

Do you really think Beau would like a bow? I bought him a cashmere winter scarf for his last birthday... I guess he could just tie it into a bow if he really wanted to.

Naaah, good suggestion, but I think we need to get back to the drawing boards on this one.

We can always use his other forum name, "Tartarus Sauce" to come up with clever rhyming gifts.
07-12-2016, 12:34 AM
(07-12-2016 12:22 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(07-12-2016 12:03 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Why don't you get Beau a.....

Do you really think Beau would like a bow? I bought him a cashmere winter scarf for his last birthday... I guess he could just tie it into a bow if he really wanted to.

Naaah, good suggestion, but I think we need to get back to the drawing boards on this one.

We can always use his other forum name, "Tartarus Sauce" to come up with clever rhyming gifts.

Is Beau one of your pet birds? Or a four footed friend?

And I'm on the West Coast and it's 10:30 here. Aren't you in FLorida? That would make it 1:30 there. What are ya doin up so late.....go to bed girl! Smile

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.