Random thoughts

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-01-2017, 02:58 AM
RE: Random thoughts
(31-01-2017 01:36 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(28-01-2017 11:57 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  I want to set up a little touristy trap type "art" place filled with things like fake taxidermy dangerous animals, creepy wax statues, and sculptures of dangerous folklore creatures. I would have it be a strictly enforced rule that the place closes at 8:45, and have my employees make a huge deal about making absolutely sure no one was still in there and having a ton of overkill security measures setup before 9. Then I'd have speakers from inside play growling and screaming noises and make it so it looked like those metal slide down security windows were being pressed against really hard. The employees would be trained to answer all questions vaguely and cryptically.

It'd be ridiculously gimmicky, but I'd enjoy the knowledge that out there, somewhere, there would be at least a handful of people who bought into it, because stupidity knows no bounds.

If I win the lottery, I will fund this. Yes

I still have a mental note that if I ever won the lottery, I'd try to fund at least one of the 'crazy billionaire money' ideas from the God Awful Movies podcast; which more often than not would involve remaking or re-shooting part of a terrible Christian movie, from the perspective of 3 atheist pod-casters.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-01-2017, 03:17 AM
A fleeting thought, which might become my new catchphrase ...
(after watching Jordan Peterson on Joe Rogan and discovering him to be more 'godly' than I expected, and noting that he had confused 'truth' with 'wisdom', then reading what Aliza wrote in the thread for Jenny):

We dismiss your religion because it is not true; we don't dismiss it because it is not wise.

(and in the case of authoritarian Islam and Pencian christianity, the latter part is meant in both senses).

Consider

31-01-2017, 09:42 AM
How many actors are gonna play Sanders for KFC.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
01-02-2017, 07:30 AM
The concept behind 24 is interesting, but it's more unrealistic than anything else in the show. Now this may seem strange, given previous seasons where the President was a traitor, we have a series of gambit roulettes going on, we can nuke a major American city in one season and not hear about it the rest of the "one hour in real time" episodes, etc. However, when does the hero pee? When does the hero drink a coffee or an energy drink to stay awake?

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-02-2017, 07:37 AM
(31-01-2017 03:17 AM)DLJ Wrote:  A fleeting thought, after watching Jordan Peterson on Joe Rogan and discovering him to be more 'godly' than I expected, and noting that he had confused 'truth' with 'wisdom', then reading what Aliza wrote in the thread for Jenny...

We dismiss your religion because it is not true; we don't dismiss it because it is not wise.

(and in the case of authoritarian Islam and Pencian christianity, the latter part is meant in both senses).

Consider

I noticed that about Peterson's arguments as well. He had more to say about how religion is useful but very little to say about whether theism is true or not.

That said, while I think he's wrong about theism, I'll give kudos to the guy for standing up in the face of withering criticism from the SJW crowd.
[+] 1 user Likes Heath_Tierney's post
01-02-2017, 08:00 AM
(01-02-2017 07:37 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  
(31-01-2017 03:17 AM)DLJ Wrote:  A fleeting thought, after watching Jordan Peterson on Joe Rogan and discovering him to be more 'godly' than I expected, and noting that he had confused 'truth' with 'wisdom', then reading what Aliza wrote in the thread for Jenny...

Consider

I noticed that about Peterson's arguments as well. He had more to say about how religion is useful but very little to say about whether theism is true or not.

That said, while I think he's wrong about theism, I'll give kudos to the guy for standing up in the face of withering criticism from the SJW crowd.

Its not about whether a god exists or not, its about how we focus our spiritual nature. God has become synonymous with the central force of spirituality. Yet it is not god who is important, it is the central force. The reasoning, the Logos, the divinity of all that is.

Heath take one moment if you will, to contemplate the extraordinary fact, that you exist. How easy it is for us to ignore the extraordinary because we take it for granted. That the rain should fall to the ground, that the light should make visible the world around us, that the earth dances around the sun in chorus with seven other planets. That heaven itself should sing to us.

God is but a figurehead, but religion is the combined philosophical wisdom dedicated to pondering the nature of life, which has been passed down from generation to generation. As well as a code of ethics which today to us may seem barbaric, but how many generations from now will our descendants look back upon us and think about how depraved our morality must have been?
01-02-2017, 09:02 AM
Poor hyena. We've all been there at least once Sad Nothing like trying to eat a dead elephant ass first and it farts. That kind of thing can spoil an appetite.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
01-02-2017, 09:29 AM
(01-02-2017 08:00 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  
(01-02-2017 07:37 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  I noticed that about Peterson's arguments as well. He had more to say about how religion is useful but very little to say about whether theism is true or not.

Its not about whether a god exists or not, its about how we focus our spiritual nature. God has become synonymous with the central force of spirituality. Yet it is not god who is important, it is the central force. The reasoning, the Logos, the divinity of all that is.

Heath take one moment if you will, to contemplate the extraordinary fact, that you exist. How easy it is for us to ignore the extraordinary because we take it for granted. That the rain should fall to the ground, that the light should make visible the world around us, that the earth dances around the sun in chorus with seven other planets. That heaven itself should sing to us.

God is but a figurehead, but religion is the combined philosophical wisdom dedicated to pondering the nature of life, which has been passed down from generation to generation. As well as a code of ethics which today to us may seem barbaric, but how many generations from now will our descendants look back upon us and think about how depraved our morality must have been?

Great story, needs more dragons.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
01-02-2017, 10:54 AM
(01-02-2017 08:00 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  Its not about whether a god exists or not, its about how we focus our spiritual nature.

Definition required.

Quote:God has become synonymous with the central force of spirituality.

Definition required.

Quote:Yet it is not god who is important, it is the central force. The reasoning, the Logos, the divinity of all that is.

Definition required.

Quote:Heath take one moment if you will, to contemplate the extraordinary fact, that you exist. How easy it is for us to ignore the extraordinary because we take it for granted. That the rain should fall to the ground, that the light should make visible the world around us, that the earth dances around the sun in chorus with seven other planets.

Physics, chemistry, and biology.

Quote:That heaven itself should sing to us.

Definition required.

Quote:God is but a figurehead, but religion is the combined philosophical wisdom dedicated to pondering the nature of life, which has been passed down from generation to generation.

Not "the combined philosophical wisdom", only "a combined philosophical wisdom. It is but one way to view it.

Quote:As well as a code of ethics which today to us may seem barbaric, but how many generations from now will our descendants look back upon us and think about how depraved our morality must have been?

Therefore it cannot be held as a standard.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
01-02-2017, 12:20 PM
(01-02-2017 09:02 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Poor hyena. We've all been there at least once Sad Nothing like trying to eat a dead elephant ass first and it farts. That kind of thing can spoil an appetite.

Laugh out load Hungry enough to eat the ass out of a dead elephant! Hobo
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post