Random thoughts

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-12-2016, 08:33 AM
RE: Random thoughts
(07-12-2016 08:18 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(07-12-2016 01:03 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Yeah, I'm kind of tired and loopy, too. -And by "tired and loopy," I mean stoend off my ass and probably shouldn't be posting.

Where in Florida?

"stoend" Laughat Yeah, that was unlike you.

Is it legal in Florida? ( I'm not talking about beer and wine either.)

It's legal here in Oregon. We have a plant in our back yard. (I'm not talking about a strawberry plant either.)

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
07-12-2016, 08:54 AM
If you took a bird, and somehow scaled it up so it was much bigger than it normally is but all the dimensions (I can't think of a better way to put that. Ratios? The amount it'd have of one thing compared to other things?) were still the same, would it be able to fly? Consider

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 1 user Likes CleverUsername's post
07-12-2016, 08:57 AM
flying things don't scale well. Aerodynamics and fluid dynamics are sensitive to scale change, so I suspect your "bird" would need a bit of a redesign. No worries, that's what evolution does Smile
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
07-12-2016, 09:29 AM
(07-12-2016 08:57 AM)skyking Wrote:  flying things don't scale well. Aerodynamics and fluid dynamics are sensitive to scale change, so I suspect your "bird" would need a bit of a redesign. No worries, that's what evolution does Smile

Odd....

I've done it several times, in prototyping an RC -- and it worked just fine....

Build a small handheld glider -- play with the CG till it flies well --- then scaled it up - in once instance almost 20 times the original -- and the "full scale" flew perfectly.....

Of course in this case - I was using flat plate lift. It was a "stand-off scale" of an SR-71. The full scale (8 ft long, 4 wide, twin ducted fan motors spinning conventional props - with mechanical retracts, with elevon and aileron (for safety redundancy ) --- the wing was only 1/4 inch thick.... Pretty trick construction method....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
07-12-2016, 09:36 AM
(07-12-2016 08:18 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(07-12-2016 01:03 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Yeah, I'm kind of tired and loopy, too. -And by "tired and loopy," I mean stoend off my ass and probably shouldn't be posting.

Where in Florida?

I'm from South Florida, but I've since moved away. I won't give specifics of where I am, but I live in a coastal town along the eastern side of the state.
07-12-2016, 09:40 AM
It has to do with fluid dynamics and the Reynolds number.
Scroll down to the section "flow around airfoils".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reynolds_number

This is not to say that your model scaling did not work reasonably well, as it did just fine. As far as measuring results in actual drag and lift, the smaller model will start to diverge from the full size model in a fairly predictable manner.
In the bird question, the problem is in the structure of the bones. If you just scale them up, those divergences lead to:
1) too weak a bone for the load or,
2) too heavy a bone for flight.
Hence the need for some redesign " on the fly" Big Grin
Nature did a fantastic job of that.

There are tons of research papers on scaling in aerodynamics, as it is somewhat of a black art.
07-12-2016, 09:56 AM
(07-12-2016 09:36 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(07-12-2016 08:18 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  Where in Florida?

I'm from South Florida, but I've since moved away. I won't give specifics of where I am, but I live in a coastal town along the eastern side of the state.

Cool, I'm in the Bay Area, but I'm not from here.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
07-12-2016, 09:59 AM
(07-12-2016 08:33 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  "stoend" Laughat Yeah, that was unlike you.

Is it legal in Florida? ( I'm not talking about beer and wine either.)

It's legal here in Oregon. We have a plant in our back yard. (I'm not talking about a strawberry plant either.)

Beau has one job at night, and that is to make sure I don't post stupid shit on the forum while I'm stoned. He took the night off last night and I nearly posted up something super goofy in his absence. I couldn't make sense of it this morning when I re-read it, and fortunately through the haze of my silliness, it dawned on me that maybe I shouldn't be posting. Blush

Anyway! Marijuana isn't legal in Florida, but medical marijuana was voted in during the past election. Yes, I will be seeking a medical marijuana license the INSTANT it becomes legal to do so.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
07-12-2016, 10:51 AM
Holy crap, I just realized Aliza no longer has "Avid user of dashes" as a custom user title.

Random thought: No one reads my syllabi.

Need to think of a witty signature.
07-12-2016, 10:53 AM
(07-12-2016 10:51 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Holy crap, I just realized Aliza no longer has "Avid user of dashes" as a custom user title.

Random thought: No one reads my syllabi.

Jesus Christ was a Superstar, is she having fun with us?

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me