Random thoughts

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-03-2017, 02:10 PM
RE: Random thoughts
Random Thought #967,470.3 rev B:

Why do we romanticize & glamorize pirates?

We've always done so; Mark Twain's fondest wish as a brat kid was to grow up to be a pirate; even Disney makes heroes and idols of them.

I can understand being attracted to an outlaw, to one who makes and lives by his own set of rules, especially rules that trash the status quo. But pirates and terrorists go beyond being outside the law, they cross the line into atrocity, immorality, anti-humanity itself - in the case of pirates the lawlessness isn't even in the cause of some ideology, however misguided, it's wreaked out of sheer greed.

I don't see much admiration for the pirates out of Somalia - and one could argue they're driven to piracy out of desperate need. No one is glamorizing them, making them idols.

But the pirate legend holds us in thrall.

Why?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Airportkid's post
01-03-2017, 06:40 PM
Not me. I find any criminal activity reprehensible, and pirates appear to be the worst. I'll be interested in hearing any responses to your question.
01-03-2017, 07:48 PM
[Image: xdwnyo.jpg]

Aarrrggghhhh!! Pirates are in my blood.

The guy in the middle is my grandfather and the man to his right is my great uncle.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
01-03-2017, 09:46 PM
today i thought if someone wanted to massacre a bunch of catholics, it would be easy to pick them out today
02-03-2017, 09:08 PM
I feel like I was deprived of an important part of childhood due to never having a trampoline.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 2 users Like CleverUsername's post
02-03-2017, 09:47 PM
(02-03-2017 09:08 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  I feel like I was deprived of an important part of childhood due to never having a trampoline.

You aren't missing much. When I was 12, I was told to do a back flip on the trampoline, which I had absolutely no experience with, in gym class. I landed on my head, and am seriously lucky that I didn't break my neck. It sure hurt like hell. PE teacher told me to get back up and try it again, I said "Nope!". Do you know how many serious injuries are incurred on a trampoline by young people? Look up some statistics. That lack in your childhood may have saved you from a really bad outcome.
[+] 3 users Like Fireball's post
02-03-2017, 09:53 PM
(02-03-2017 09:47 PM)Fireball Wrote:  You aren't missing much. When I was 12, I was told to do a back flip on the trampoline, which I had absolutely no experience with, in gym class. I landed on my head, and am seriously lucky that I didn't break my neck. It sure hurt like hell. PE teacher told me to get back up and try it again, I said "Nope!". Do you know how many serious injuries are incurred on a trampoline by young people? Look up some statistics. That lack in your childhood may have saved you from a really bad outcome.

I saw someone break his neck in similar circumstances in our high school PE class. The teacher wanted the first kid to do a backwards flip while letting go of the rings. His spotters never broke his fall, and he was in the hospital for weeks. The teacher lost his job as a result.
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post
02-03-2017, 11:06 PM
My wife always insisted on getting her kids one, they had at least two growing up, and I always fought her on this point. Close calls, but no one got seriously injured. Glad those days are behind us. Now she bought one for the grand kids. Ugh.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-03-2017, 04:27 AM
Coworker let me know yesterday that the reason she was drinking Coke Zero is because she gave up Diet Coke for Lent. Hope she can make through the next few weeks having made such a supreme sacrifice. Facepalm

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
03-03-2017, 04:49 AM
(03-03-2017 04:27 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Coworker let me know yesterday that the reason she was drinking Coke Zero is because she gave up Diet Coke for Lent. Hope she can make through the next few weeks having made such a supreme sacrifice. Facepalm

[Image: 7d64d5aee367eef9145ba3106bf8c090.jpg]

Lemme guess, she also gave up filet mignon for chuck roast on Fridays? Facepalm

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post