Random thoughts

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-03-2017, 07:27 AM
RE: Random thoughts
(03-03-2017 04:27 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Coworker let me know yesterday that the reason she was drinking Coke Zero is because she gave up Diet Coke for Lent. Hope she can make through the next few weeks having made such a supreme sacrifice. Facepalm

... Facepalm

Not that I have much room to talk, I'm eating a doughnut right now, since it's meatless Friday, and for dinner will have a 4 cheese frozen pizza. That said, gave up: caffeine, Burger King french toast sticks (was having them every day I went into work), and my comfort food that lasted 3 meals, the Dominoes Ultimate Pepperoni Pizza. Trying to make my body semi-healthier at least during the season.

Also, what do you bet she sneaks Diet Coke on Sundays, since they're technically cheat days as 'feast days'?

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-03-2017, 07:37 AM
(02-03-2017 09:47 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(02-03-2017 09:08 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  I feel like I was deprived of an important part of childhood due to never having a trampoline.

You aren't missing much. When I was 12, I was told to do a back flip on the trampoline, which I had absolutely no experience with, in gym class. I landed on my head, and am seriously lucky that I didn't break my neck. It sure hurt like hell. PE teacher told me to get back up and try it again, I said "Nope!". Do you know how many serious injuries are incurred on a trampoline by young people? Look up some statistics. That lack in your childhood may have saved you from a really bad outcome.

My parents banned trampolines and game systems. I never had a PlayStation or xbox and I wasn't even allowed to go on a trampoline at a friend's house.
Find all posts by this user
03-03-2017, 07:39 AM
What exactly is lent? What denominations celebrate it?

.... wait, isn't this related to Marti Gras?
03-03-2017, 07:50 AM
(01-03-2017 07:48 PM)Anjele Wrote:  [Image: xdwnyo.jpg]

Aarrrggghhhh!! Pirates are in my blood.

The guy in the middle is my grandfather and the man to his right is my great uncle.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
03-03-2017, 08:27 AM
(03-03-2017 07:39 AM)Aliza Wrote:  What exactly is lent? What denominations celebrate it?

Here's an answer from a less than knowledgeable former Catholic. Lent is the period of time leading up to Easter...actually leading up to the crucifixion. It starts with Ash Wednesday and that it the official end to Mardi Gras. Not sure how all that got connected but Mardi Gras is the last big hurrah before Lent.

To honor the lord good Christians are to give something up for Lent. Sort of a symbolic sacrifice.

Back in the day Catholics didn't eat any meat on Fridays. I remember as a kid when that rule ended but it tends to be followed again during Lent.

So it starts on Ash Wednesday and works it's way to Good Friday and then on to the celebration of the resurrection on Easter Sunday. Then you wear your new clothes to church and get baskets of candy.

Yeah...it all makes a lot of sense. Advent is the countdown to the birth of Jesus Christ and Lent is the solemn countdown to his death (the dates are determined each year based on the phases of the moon. Dodgy )

Here's a Wikipedia link.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lent

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
03-03-2017, 09:03 AM
It's a commemoration of the time Jesus Lent his bicycle to Judas Iscariot, who pedalled off into the sunset never to be seen again. Subsequently Jesus had to enter Jerusalem riding on an ass, a situation for which he never forgave Judas.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
03-03-2017, 09:46 AM
It's been months since I had my eyebrows waxed or threaded. I can't see well enough to keep them cleaned up without my glasses on and with them on they are in the way...therefore the need to have someone else do it.

Now I have to figure out what sort of torture method to opt for...I am thinking waxing cause it will be over with faster...but damn, it's gonna hurt. Sadcryface

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
03-03-2017, 10:23 AM
I think the subtitles on this Dubai police documentary I'm considering for class may not be up to snuff. "Damn Canadian molly" does not seem...accurate, for the Arabic. Nor does "the coon shuttle".

(03-03-2017 08:27 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(03-03-2017 07:39 AM)Aliza Wrote:  What exactly is lent? What denominations celebrate it?

Here's an answer from a less than knowledgeable former Catholic. Lent is the period of time leading up to Easter...actually leading up to the crucifixion. It starts with Ash Wednesday and that it the official end to Mardi Gras. Not sure how all that got connected but Mardi Gras is the last big hurrah before Lent.

To honor the lord good Christians are to give something up for Lent. Sort of a symbolic sacrifice.

Back in the day Catholics didn't eat any meat on Fridays. I remember as a kid when that rule ended but it tends to be followed again during Lent.

So it starts on Ash Wednesday and works it's way to Good Friday and then on to the celebration of the resurrection on Easter Sunday. Then you wear your new clothes to church and get baskets of candy.

Yeah...it all makes a lot of sense. Advent is the countdown to the birth of Jesus Christ and Lent is the solemn countdown to his death (the dates are determined each year based on the phases of the moon. Dodgy )

Here's a Wikipedia link.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lent

What Anjele said. Smile Though am cranky Catholic right now with my no meat Friday. Dean's Assistant's morning bacon bagel smelled so good. Sad

Also as an addition to it, minor point, the Paschal Triduum, as it's referred, is the last few days before Christ's Resurrection. Holy Thursday is the celebration of the Last Supper, where Christ institutes the Eucharist, and is the last time the Gloria (Glory to God in the Highest) may be sung until Easter. During this day, more wafers are Consecrated, because there is no Consecration on...Good Friday. This is the day of Christ's Passion and may or may not have a Communion service, but technically no Mass, due to no Consecration; because there is no Consecration, no wine is used on this day. Holy Saturday has no Mass in the daylight hours, to commemorate when Christ laid in the tomb.

Saturday night, however, after dark is the Easter Vigil, in which converts are welcomed into the church. It begins usually in darkness with a candlelight processional into the church, following prayers over some form of fire pit that is used to light a giant Paschal Candle which will remain in the sanctuary throughout the Easter season, and is the longest Mass of the year. There are seven optional Old Testament readings, New Testament readings, and Responsorial Psalms to be sung back and forth between the cantor and the congregation. The readings are not short (also I believe 3 of the Psalms are required, so you'll never hear less than 3 sets of readings). Then there's also baptisms, Confirmations, etc. for the new converts. The light returns as the altar is covered once more, and the Gloria is sung again. After this point, Mass proceeds as normal.

Sunday is Easter Sunday, and is the formal celebration of the Resurrection of Christ.

Edit: Also Holy Thursday is when Perpetual Adoration Chapels shut their doors at midnight and don't re-open until Easter Sunday. The Eucharist that's usually on display 24/7 at them is placed in an altar of repose for three days in remembrance of the Passion, death, and Ressurection.

[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
03-03-2017, 10:28 AM
(03-03-2017 10:23 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Sunday is Easter Sunday, and is the formal celebration of the Resurrection of Christ.

You wear your new Easter clothes to church, get candy, and then lunch at grandma's with ham as the main dish. Cause nothing says raising from the dead like a hunk of hog on a platter and baskets of dyed eggs, jelly beans, and chocolate bunnies. Oh, and that damn Easter grass that gets everywhere.

[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
03-03-2017, 10:32 AM
(03-03-2017 10:28 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(03-03-2017 10:23 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Sunday is Easter Sunday, and is the formal celebration of the Resurrection of Christ.

You wear your new Easter clothes to church, get candy, and then lunch at grandma's with ham as the main dish. Cause nothing says raising from the dead like a hunk of hog on a platter and baskets of dyed eggs, jelly beans, and chocolate bunnies. Oh, and that damn Easter grass that gets everywhere.

And look for the basket that inexplicable rabbit hid for you! Smile And dear Lord...the ham indeed. Preach fellow Southerner, preach!

Also, it's disgusting when relatives' dogs eat said Easter grass and then later return it to sender. And everyone gets to be on their best behavior, despite an urge to stab one another, and depending on the denomination of the family, perhaps not a drop of alcohol in sight.