Random thoughts

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-04-2017, 03:37 PM
RE: Random thoughts
I was a geometry savant. I can't remember any of it now, other than the Pythagorean Theorem.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-04-2017, 03:49 PM
I can't stop! I can't afford to eat like this, but I just can't stop! Hobo

[Image: eating-gif.gif]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Aliza's post
01-04-2017, 03:56 PM
(01-04-2017 03:49 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I can't stop! I can't afford to eat like this, but I just can't stop! Hobo

Just back away from the buffet.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
01-04-2017, 04:00 PM
(01-04-2017 03:49 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I can't stop! I can't afford to eat like this, but I just can't stop! Hobo

Don't fight it. Hibernation is over. It's feeding time.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 2 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
01-04-2017, 04:19 PM
(01-04-2017 03:36 PM)kim Wrote:  How is it that most of the day is gone?

I know I didn't really want to get out of bed but ... I never want to get out of bed ... and I always end up getting out of bed.

Except today.
There must be a way to either justify this or prove it isn't my fault.

Now that I'm out, I almost want to do something but I really can't ... it's nearly time to get ready to go back to bed.

Life is a viscous cycle. Dodgy

It can be rather sticky at times at that.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
01-04-2017, 05:01 PM
Laugh out load I was gonna ask, "How thick is it?"
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
01-04-2017, 06:21 PM
(01-04-2017 02:24 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(01-04-2017 12:46 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  I loathe grading tests. Stealth Evangelism FTW!

If there were a benevolent god, you wouldn't have to grade papers.
Congrats, this is quite possibly the most personal/best toward me argument on TTA I have ever heard. Tongue Of course there is. This is just Lenten suffering.

(01-04-2017 03:00 PM)Fireball Wrote:  I think that the worst tests to grade were when I taught Geometry. There any number of tortuous paths one can use to prove something, and having to follow some people's logic was pretty painful. Calculus can also be a pain to grade, because people don't always do an integral the same way, and may end up with a different expression in the end. But if they did it right, when the numbers are plugged in, they get the right answer. It's just when it is in symbolic form that there are interesting answers. Algebra, math analysis and physics were easier to grade, though.
I am so sorry you had to do that Sad Mathematics is not sounding like a fun topic to grade, when you still have to see if they followed the proper steps after screwing up. Pi is 3. This I know. For the Bible told me so.

Need to think of a witty signature.
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
01-04-2017, 07:26 PM
(01-04-2017 06:21 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(01-04-2017 02:24 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  If there were a benevolent god, you wouldn't have to grade papers.
Congrats, this is quite possibly the most personal/best toward me argument on TTA I have ever heard. Tongue Of course there is. This is just Lenten suffering.

(01-04-2017 03:00 PM)Fireball Wrote:  I think that the worst tests to grade were when I taught Geometry. There any number of tortuous paths one can use to prove something, and having to follow some people's logic was pretty painful. Calculus can also be a pain to grade, because people don't always do an integral the same way, and may end up with a different expression in the end. But if they did it right, when the numbers are plugged in, they get the right answer. It's just when it is in symbolic form that there are interesting answers. Algebra, math analysis and physics were easier to grade, though.
I am so sorry you had to do that Sad Mathematics is not sounding like a fun topic to grade, when you still have to see if they followed the proper steps after screwing up. Pi is 3. This I know. For the Bible told me so.

It really isn't that big a deal, actually. Just have to get my head wrapped around some tortuous logic.

In your case, I think that as you get more experience, you'll be able to tell these knuckleheads to sit down and shut up with their baby-foot stamping..."or take the course next semester, if you know what I mean, bub". It would be my take that the knobs saying this kind of crap are going to make the worst kind of cops. Maybe take notes, and when you have established a trend (person acts like a jackass in class, acts like a jackass with a badge in public, costing the municipality millions, and many families a lot of grief), take it to the local law enforcement leadership and explain it to them. Seems like both a good and bad idea, though. Got to be a tough row to hoe. But think of it! Law enforcement by and large is a positive force in the community. It's that small fraction that uses that authority to ill effect. Maybe there's a way to make it better, like that, and the model could spread!
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
01-04-2017, 08:50 PM
(01-04-2017 06:21 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(01-04-2017 02:24 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  If there were a benevolent god, you wouldn't have to grade papers.

If only there were a way for members to reward other members, show their appreciation for the effort made. Hmm, what could that be?

Consider

And if your god makes you suffer for anything, he's anything but benevolent.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
[+] 2 users Like WillHopp's post
01-04-2017, 08:55 PM
(01-04-2017 08:50 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(01-04-2017 06:21 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Congrats, this is quite possibly the most personal/best toward me argument on TTA I have ever heard. Tongue Of course there is. This is just Lenten suffering.

If only there were a way for members to reward other members, show their appreciation for the effort made. Hmm, what could that be?

Consider

I know right? What we need is something like, like...hmmm, not sure. Maybe a way to tell others that your reputation as a poster is solid. Consider

Cool

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post