Random thoughts

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-04-2017, 05:43 PM
RE: Random thoughts
(02-04-2017 05:21 PM)kim Wrote:  
(02-04-2017 11:46 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I wonder if they checked Dahlmer's brain for prions? Consider

Holyfuckdamn, Girly - how is it that sometimes even your and my random thoughts are spookily similar? Dodgy

It's an easy jump from serial killer dinner party. Big Grin

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
02-04-2017, 05:48 PM (This post was last modified: 03-04-2017 05:35 PM by Anjele.)
Do the Amazonians take the weekends off? Or are they scared off by the fake bannings? Or did we just scare them off in general?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
02-04-2017, 05:58 PM
(02-04-2017 05:48 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Do the Amazonians take the weekends off? Or are they scared off by the fake bannings? Or did we just them off in general?

It's their business model. No, seriously, Gwaithmir is posting, as is Jay the Birdsong guy.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
02-04-2017, 06:04 PM
(02-04-2017 05:58 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(02-04-2017 05:48 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Do the Amazonians take the weekends off? Or are they scared off by the fake bannings? Or did we just them off in general?

It's their business model. No, seriously, Gwaithmir is posting, as is Jay the Birdsong guy.

Yeah, I know they are around...and I am glad they are...but where's the rest of the crew?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
02-04-2017, 06:04 PM
(02-04-2017 05:58 PM)Fireball Wrote:  

> Indeed. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post
02-04-2017, 06:17 PM
Ah crap, Ikutaro Kakehashi died. He was the head of Roland for 40+ years, he invented & perfected the electronic drum machine, built many synthesizers, and all kinds of electronic gear for music making. He'll, my favorite portable amp is a Roland Cube - never any fuzz, clean sound. Kakehashi cared about sound & sound quality - it's necessary for music. And he loved music. 87... is a pretty good run. Farewell, Mr Kakehashi.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
02-04-2017, 10:19 PM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2017 10:22 PM by Fireball.)
(02-04-2017 06:04 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  
(02-04-2017 05:58 PM)Fireball Wrote:  It's their business model. No, seriously, Gwaithmir is posting, as is Jay the Birdsong guy.

> Indeed. Smile

Hey, coax your fellow refugees into posting more! They are more than welcome. Or do they have survivor's guilt, or something? Ohmy

OK, it occurs to me that they may be delving into the archives like I did when I first joined (I always did my homework in school, too). I went through some of the threads, like "Your Favo...", etc., to get a feel for the place. Once I figured out where all the bodies were buried, I realized what a great group these people were! The new people will find their place, soon enough. Yes
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
02-04-2017, 11:45 PM
The quotes below are from The Hustler (1961). IMO, these quotes embody what it’s like to develop a gift/talent and transform it into an art-form.

With that said, in the quoted dialog below, Fast Eddie, who is a very gifted pool player, is upset because Bert, a gentleman who successfully staked Minnesota Fats in his first encounter with Fast Eddie (Eddie lost), called Eddie a born loser:

Fast Eddie: “Cause, ya see, twice, Sarah... once at Ames with Minnesota Fats and then again at Arthur's, in that cheap, crummy pool room, now why'd I do it, Sarah? Why'd I do it? I coulda beat that guy, coulda beat 'im cold, he never woulda known. But I just hadda show 'im. Just hadda show those creeps and those punks what the game is like when it's great, when it's REALLY great. You know, like anything can be great, anything can be great. I don't care, BRICKLAYING can be great, if a guy knows. If he knows what he's doing and why and if he can make it come off. When I'm goin', I mean, when I'm REALLY goin' I feel like a... like a jockey must feel. He's sittin' on his horse, he's got all that speed and that power underneath him... he's comin' into the stretch, the pressure's on 'im, and he KNOWS... just feels... when to let it go and how much. Cause he's got everything workin' for 'im: timing, touch. It's a great feeling, boy, it's a real great feeling when you're right and you KNOW you're right. It's like all of a sudden I got oil in my arm. The pool cue's part of me. You know, it's uh - pool cue, it's got nerves in it. It's a piece of wood, it's got nerves in it. Feel the roll of those balls, you don't have to look, you just KNOW. You make shots that nobody's ever made before. I can play that game the way... NOBODY'S ever played it before.”

Sarah Packard: “You're not a loser, Eddie, you're a winner. Some men never get to feel that way about anything.”

Out of curiosity, I wonder how many people have gotten to experience something like Eddie experienced pool. For me at least, I can relate Eddie’s heart, talent, and dedication to my goal of becoming a constructive conflict resolution artist (I’ve got a long way to go though). Hence, despite many failed attempts on my part, it is ultimately the pursuit of this goal that rekindles the beauty of the conflict resolution/reconciliation art-form that I discovered as a student; as a result, this gives me the strength and confidence to practice it in a way that has never been practiced before.

"I'm fearful when I see people substituting fear for reason." Klaatu, from The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951)
[+] 3 users Like Kernel Sohcahtoa's post
03-04-2017, 03:59 PM
Not mine, but from a Facebook group I'm in, someone posted a thought piece on trying to use stem cells to bring the dead back to life (too much Walking Dead?):

"I'm nto [sic] sure about this. Although this seems like a potential good on the surface, there are a few reasons why I am uneasy about this. First being the use of stem cells, where are they being harvested from? the second is my concern about when you begin to mess with the spiritual aspect of bringing a dead person back to life. I realize that in many cases , a diagnosis of brain death does not always mean the patient is really dead , but in some kind of altered state, but what if they start trying to bring back an actual dead person and they succeed , what kind of ramifications would come from doing that?" and the follow up thought, " If a demon can possess a doll or any other object, I doubt if there is any good that will or can result from this. God alone has brought about people rising from the dead with certain saints, but what replaces the soul when man tries without divine intervention? How much more before divine justice or wrath teaches mankind once again ?"

Facepalm

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
03-04-2017, 04:59 PM
Why is it that when I am in a pissy mood - snappy and snarky with most everyone, no one says a word. But when I ask a couple questions I am seen as on the attack?

Perhaps a disclaimer is necessary from now on for all posts...in tiny font, in Italics, and surrounded by special characters and the appropriate emoticons.

Dodgy

[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post