Random thoughts

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-04-2017, 07:02 AM
RE: Random thoughts
(02-04-2017 11:45 PM)Kernel Sohcahtoa Wrote:  Out of curiosity, I wonder how many people have gotten to experience something like Eddie experienced pool.

Shooting trap in a match, knowing part way through that I'm going to go straight - all 25.
It's all working, it's all effortless, it's all in slow motion. I'm in the zone, I can't miss.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
07-04-2017, 03:01 PM
Hi,

When my Dad died I had some bereavement counselling. The lady asked me if she could give me a cuddle. I've never forgotten the feel of that cuddle.

D.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Dworkin's post
07-04-2017, 05:53 PM
(07-04-2017 03:01 PM)Dworkin Wrote:  Hi,

When my Dad died I had some bereavement counselling. The lady asked me if she could give me a cuddle. I've never forgotten the feel of that cuddle.

D.

You're lucky, and I'm glad. When my dad died, my high school's self-named "Club Virtue" baked us a casserole but then forgot it in someone's car for a couple weeks and told me so at least I knew that... they thought about it? I guess? Then my calc teacher told me I needed to "get past it" because my grades were slipping. (In retrospect, that could've had something to do with the undiagnosed ADHD as well. But, like, it's not his job to care, right?)

But it's cool, because later that year, one of the varsity football players' mom died, and they dedicated an entire game and halftime show to her.

Not that I'm childishly still bitter.
[+] 1 user Likes kmc's post
07-04-2017, 05:56 PM
(But moving on from my previous post...)

I just realized yesterday that the courtiers in Cinderella are looking for someone whose foot fits the glass slipper.
Not someone whose foot is slightly smaller than the glass slipper.
07-04-2017, 11:41 PM (This post was last modified: 08-04-2017 01:19 AM by EvolutionKills.)
If your employer threatened to fire your gay ass, could you save your job by agreeing to take homeopathic conversion therapy in accordance with your 'sincerely held' beliefs? Consider

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
09-04-2017, 11:47 AM
Just looking through my profile, thinking about maybe updating it a bit...

Checked my ignore list...and I found 2 people in there that I barely remember... looks like they were both banned about 3 or 4 years ago.

Removed them from my ignore list...

No point ignoring people that don't exist anymore...I guess. Consider

Although that seems like an odd thing to say.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 2 users Like unsapien's post
09-04-2017, 01:55 PM
Well, I can't believe they fell for it.

Dunno if it was the bluff and bluster or if I accidentally got it right.

Not complaining.

Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
10-04-2017, 04:54 PM
I think only convicted criminals (rehabilitated obviously) should be made to serve jury duty.

First, most of them probably know how the whole justice system works better than even the lawyers, judges & lawmakers do.

Second, they know what serving a 6 month... 1 year... 10 year...etc... sentence is actually like to go through so they'd be the best at deciding if the punishment really fits the crime.

Third, murders, thieves, con-men, gang members etc... are more likely to be able to "ferret out" what evidence is important and what is not in a case similar to their own.

Fourth, knowing that committing a criminal act might force you to be a juror for most of the rest of your life might be a better deterrent to crime then anything else.

Fifth, it would reduce the need for parole officers and the like (and thus the cost) if they have to be in court, like, every 6 months anyway.

Sixth, I think that it would reduce the number of innocent people that are wrongly convicted.

Seventh, if they were given a decent stipend for their service, it might be a further deterrent to re-offend.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 2 users Like unsapien's post
12-04-2017, 04:11 AM
It occurs to me that life, the universe, and everything can be modeled as a sum of sine waves.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
12-04-2017, 04:22 AM
(12-04-2017 04:11 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  It occurs to me that life, the universe, and everything can be modeled as a sum of sine waves.

So it's a series of sums of infinite series? Seems Taylor-made. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post