Random thoughts

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-04-2017, 04:23 AM
RE: Random thoughts
(12-04-2017 04:22 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(12-04-2017 04:11 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  It occurs to me that life, the universe, and everything can be modeled as a sum of sine waves.

So it's a series of sums of infinite series? Seems Taylor-made. Consider

Bravo!

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
14-04-2017, 05:55 PM
The view of Pontius Pilate in the Gospels by a person is correlated to how they view their form of Christianity. Traditionalist Catholic I knew is all about how Pilate was lukewarm in Passion of the Christ and will burn in Hell for all eternity for what he did...as part of God's plan.

Meanwhile, I see him as a more easy to relate to figure, despite being a Roman Governor. He's between a rock and a hard place. If he executes Jesus, he risks a revolt by Christ's followers, plus sentencing someone to die during Passover is an insult to the Jews, which can also possibly cause a revolt. Not sentencing Jesus to die can also possibly cause a revolt. However, he is getting rid of a troublesome figure who is dividing the populace and thus proving to be a threat to the rule of law as established by Rome. Any way he goes, he's potentially screwed and that's without thinking about how will the Emperor react to another revolt in Judea? Will it be Pilate's head on the chopping block? At the same time, he's a Governor of the Roman Empire, he's had to be brutal, cunning, and not a real good person by modern moral standards to probably ascend to his position. In the end he does what's best for him, and what he believes is best for the most number of people, taking a somewhat selfish but still utilitarian position.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
14-04-2017, 07:32 PM
(14-04-2017 05:55 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  The view of Pontius Pilate in the Gospels by a person is correlated to how they view their form of Christianity. Traditionalist Catholic I knew is all about how Pilate was lukewarm in Passion of the Christ and will burn in Hell for all eternity for what he did...as part of God's plan.

Meanwhile, I see him as a more easy to relate to figure, despite being a Roman Governor. He's between a rock and a hard place. If he executes Jesus, he risks a revolt by Christ's followers, plus sentencing someone to die during Passover is an insult to the Jews, which can also possibly cause a revolt. Not sentencing Jesus to die can also possibly cause a revolt. However, he is getting rid of a troublesome figure who is dividing the populace and thus proving to be a threat to the rule of law as established by Rome. Any way he goes, he's potentially screwed and that's without thinking about how will the Emperor react to another revolt in Judea? Will it be Pilate's head on the chopping block? At the same time, he's a Governor of the Roman Empire, he's had to be brutal, cunning, and not a real good person by modern moral standards to probably ascend to his position. In the end he does what's best for him, and what he believes is best for the most number of people, taking a somewhat selfish but still utilitarian position.

Interesting, though is it random?

See, I think of a random thought as something such as, "My nipple looks like Chris Farley when it's hard."

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
[+] 2 users Like WillHopp's post
14-04-2017, 07:40 PM
(14-04-2017 07:32 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(14-04-2017 05:55 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  The view of Pontius Pilate in the Gospels by a person is correlated to how they view their form of Christianity. Traditionalist Catholic I knew is all about how Pilate was lukewarm in Passion of the Christ and will burn in Hell for all eternity for what he did...as part of God's plan.

Interesting, though is it random?

See, I think of a random thought as something such as, "My nipple looks like Chris Farley when it's hard."
If Farley Nipple Remains hard for over 4 hours, you may want the help of a medical professional. Tongue

In all seriousness though, I think it counts as random. I've been watching the movie Risen today, where they portray Pilate more realistically than Gibson does in Passion; a cunning politician who just wants everything to go smooth in his domain. The difference in portrayals made me think of the difference in interpreting him.

Also to be a bit more random: Why does Dominos want to know if I'd like to "cheese up?" my Six Cheese Pizza?

[+] 2 users Like Shai Hulud's post
14-04-2017, 08:21 PM
(14-04-2017 07:40 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(14-04-2017 07:32 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Interesting, though is it random?

If Farley Nipple Remains hard for over 4 hours, you may want the help of a medical professional. Tongue

In all seriousness though, I think it counts as random. I've been watching the movie Risen today, where they portray Pilate more realistically than Gibson does in Passion; a cunning politician who just wants everything to go smooth in his domain. The difference in portrayals made me think of the difference in interpreting him.

Also to be a bit more random: Why does Dominos want to know if I'd like to "cheese up?" my Six Cheese Pizza?

Because the owners of Domino's have stock in cardio stents and heart hospitals?

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
[+] 2 users Like WillHopp's post
14-04-2017, 08:30 PM
(14-04-2017 08:21 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(14-04-2017 07:40 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  If Farley Nipple Remains hard for over 4 hours, you may want the help of a medical professional. Tongue

Because the owners of Domino's have stock in cardio stents and heart hospitals?

That and laxative providers would not shock me. Tongue

15-04-2017, 05:57 AM
Is it wrong that I just made deviled eggs on Easter weekend? Consider

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like Anjele's post
15-04-2017, 09:31 AM
Either someone is testing the tornado siren without sending out the campus email they should have, on a beautiful and clear day with barely any wind, or Trump has nuked someone and they're responding and this will be my last post before disappearing in a nuclear fireball. Leaning towards option one. Tongue

15-04-2017, 11:12 AM
Pray on it. Smile

----
15-04-2017, 11:19 AM
(15-04-2017 11:12 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  Pray on it. Smile

I feel like there's a snarky undercurrent there Tongue Like, I don't know, "If your prayer could stop a mushroom cloud and pack the explosion back into its bomb, I would possibly consider the existence of God." Was actually more just annoyed by it, never occurred to pray. Tongue