Random thoughts

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-04-2017, 08:49 AM
RE: Random thoughts
Indulgences are way easier to get these days than they were back in the day.

Explanation of random thought: I kind of accidentally got an Indulgence yesterday? It's Divine Mercy Sunday today, and there's an Indulgence that you can get by going to Mass, going to Confession, and praying for the intentions of the Pope. So...I got one without even realizing? Man, this is way easier than the old days when you had to pay and then cause hundreds of years of religious wars.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Shai Hulud's post
23-04-2017, 08:58 AM
"praying for the intentions of the Pope" - come again? Consider

Also, how on earth does anyone know what you're praying for?

Me, I'll indulge myself with some pasta with beetroot and peppers sauce (my favourite) Yes Wouldn't say no to a drink, either, but might have to wait until Belo Horizonte for one...

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
23-04-2017, 09:13 AM
He has monthly prayer intentions the Vatican posts that nerdy Catholics *cough* like me *cough* will look at. Usually along the lines of "world peace" and "an end to poverty" and "dignity for immigrants and refugees" type of stuff. And it's the honors system I suppose on how people know what you're praying for; we don't get little Indulgence certificates these days, it just counts theologically. So much neater than having to go obliterate a city because we disagreed about the immoral selling of indulgences and now everyone's going to kill each other. Yes Man my religion's history is not a fun subject. Random thought: So many Christians would be so angry at the history classes I had in public school which mentioned the historical wrongs done by Christians and their churches as part of world history.

Also everything you just mentioned indulging with right now sounds so delicious. Right now indulging myself with watching a movie on a projector at work while no one's around, and browsing TTA.

[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
23-04-2017, 09:18 AM
Am not trying to start a fight (obviously!), but intentions is such a dishonest word in this case! It implies doing something to achieve whatever you're intending, some sort of a plan, at it were, not a mere wish on his popiness' part Dodgy

(As you can see, I *really* need that drink. Stat. Blush )

Did people actually get Indulgence certificates? What happened if you croaked while you weren't carrying them on you? Did you have to try and persuade his godness that you just left them in your other purse? Rolleyes

[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
23-04-2017, 09:26 AM (This post was last modified: 23-04-2017 10:32 AM by Shai Hulud.)
Oh no offense taken, nor do I think you're trying to pick a fight. "Intentions" is just the word that's used as part of the Christianese in this case, though maybe it would be more Catholic-ese. Consider Evangelicals tend to do "prayer requests", while Catholics tend to call them "prayer intentions". As for trying to do something towards said intentions, I'd argue Francis, while far from perfect of course, has done slightly more than his last predecessor at least. Opening new public restrooms and laundry facilities for Rome's poor in the Vatican so they can shower and wash their clothes. Plus the Catholic Church and its various charities do distribute billions of dollars of charitable aid worldwide every year. Though as Samantha Bee pointed out so well, let's not talk about Catholic hospitals necessarily. Just an aside, my hospital is a Catholic hospital; it totally threw me the first time I went for an appointment after moving to this state, and saw crucifixes everywhere and saint quotes, because medicine in my life has always been a purely secular thing.

And not sure if people actually got certificates or not, I just assumed (with all the glory that word implies about me being an ass for doing so) that the people would demand them back in the day. Also your snark there could actually be redirected towards a common Catholic folk practice that's still big today, the "brown scapular" that millions of Catholics where, on the belief of a vision of Mary at some point that said she would keep anyone who wore one and prayed the Rosary (daily I think) from going to Hell. Edit: The last time I saw one was last Wednesday at a luncheon event with some students; the guy next to me was wearing one. He was the first of seven kids, and his parents were both from big families too, and they had big families too. As a result he had 50-some first cousins on his mother's side and over 20-some on his dad's.

[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
23-04-2017, 11:46 AM
Christian-ese, hehe

Well, when your predecessors spouted vile crap like AIDS is punishment from our all-loving god and raped women shouldn't even dare think of having an abortion, the standard isn't especially high, is it.

On the other hand, if you have untold billions and are supposed to be god's deputy on earth or whatever...

yeah, let's just say that part of me appreciates his stand on science and stuff, but I despise all churches in general and yours (Tongue ) in particular, too much to be too impressed by anything any of them does, really.

23-04-2017, 12:00 PM
Oh Christianese is so real Tongue Like here are a few terms: Godshot. Washed in the Blood. Name it and Claim it. Love Offering. Hedge of Protection.

Also fun, is less in my church than Evangelical ones, but counting off the number of times these phrases get used during an overly long prayer, "Lord,” “Lord God,” “God,”, "Father God," "Heavenly Father," "Father, Abba, Daddy", "Jesus", "Lord Jesus". The last time I went to an Evangelical church with a family member I distinctly remember having the thought, "Man, I'd die of alcohol poisoning if I took a shot every time this guy has said Lord Jesus in the last five minutes."

As for stuff B16 said, agreed. Drinking Beverage And hey, it's no skin off my nose if you despise them, mine included ( Tongue ). We all have our own viewpoints and opinions that we've come to through thinking things through. Well, maybe not everyone. I've seen people defend the Inquisition...

[+] 2 users Like Shai Hulud's post
23-04-2017, 12:28 PM
(23-04-2017 12:00 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Like here are a few terms: Godshot. Washed in the Blood. Name it and Claim it. Love Offering. Hedge of Protection.

Do I even wanna know?

Nah, I probably am in no condition to handle it...

[Image: giphy.gif]

23-04-2017, 12:48 PM
(23-04-2017 12:28 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(23-04-2017 12:00 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Like here are a few terms: Godshot. Washed in the Blood. Name it and Claim it. Love Offering. Hedge of Protection.

Do I even wanna know?

Nah, I probably am in no condition to handle it...

[Image: giphy.gif]

You are a truly smart person. Yes

In the event anyone does want to pollute their brain:
Godshot: You really need something and soon after it happens. Secular person might say "that's a good coincidence".

Washed in the Blood: You've accepted Jesus and your sins have been washed away by His Blood thanks to the sacrifice of the crucifixion.

Name it and Claim it: Word of Faith/Prosperity Gospel. Super popular with televangelists (and it seems from the Pledge Drive, KLOVE). You claim something is promised to you by God, usually wealth, and since you gave name to it and claim that promise, it will be given to you in prayer.

Love Offering: When a speaker isn't being paid to come to a church (or sometimes even if they are), people are asked for a "love offering" to help pay for their expenses. Works better for some than others. Former pastors Jerry DeWitt and Dan Barker make clear just how stingy some folks can be with these.

Hedge of Protection: Praying for someone to be protected by God. This can be for physical dangers, but often demonic/spiritual ones.

Random thought: The beach scene near the end of Rogue One, really reminds me of Deep Impact's beach scene.

23-04-2017, 12:55 PM
[Image: 332a17c47ed4aa93351d486a1f4f0d91f927bc90...d84d83.jpg]

Lovely, just lovely...

Love offering - haha, am not even gonna go there Rolleyes