Random thoughts

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-04-2017, 01:28 PM
RE: Random thoughts
(23-04-2017 12:00 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Also fun, is less in my church than Evangelical ones, but counting off the number of times these phrases get used during an overly long prayer, "Lord,” “Lord God,” “God,”, "Father God," "Heavenly Father," "Father, Abba, Daddy", "Jesus", "Lord Jesus".

That's incredibly creepy, even given the general level of creepiness that is xianity

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
23-04-2017, 01:49 PM
(23-04-2017 12:55 PM)Vera Wrote:  [Image: 332a17c47ed4aa93351d486a1f4f0d91f927bc90...d84d83.jpg]

Lovely, just lovely...

Love offering - haha, am not even gonna go there Rolleyes
What an apropos movie for that to come from. Tongue

(23-04-2017 01:28 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(23-04-2017 12:00 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Also fun, is less in my church than Evangelical ones, but counting off the number of times these phrases get used during an overly long prayer, "Lord,” “Lord God,” “God,”, "Father God," "Heavenly Father," "Father, Abba, Daddy", "Jesus", "Lord Jesus".

That's incredibly creepy, even given the general level of creepiness that is xianity
It was back when I was a Baptist when I heard that particularly one...and funny you should say "creepy". Actually not funny, because fuck what I'm about to say. The guy who wanted to become a youth minister who prayed that way was later arrested for soliciting minors for sex via the internet.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-04-2017, 09:33 PM
(23-04-2017 09:13 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  He has monthly prayer intentions the Vatican posts that nerdy Catholics *cough* like me *cough* will look at.

Planning ahead for doing ... nothing.

Quote:Usually along the lines of "world peace" and "an end to poverty" and "dignity for immigrants and refugees" type of stuff.

Instead of actually doing something.

Quote:And it's the honors system I suppose on how people know what you're praying for; we don't get little Indulgence certificates these days, it just counts theologically.

So it doesn't actually count for anything.

Quote:So much neater than having to go obliterate a city because we disagreed about the immoral selling of indulgences and now everyone's going to kill each other. Yes

Yes, doing nothing is so much better than doing evil.

Quote:Man my religion's history is not a fun subject. Random thought: So many Christians would be so angry at the history classes I had in public school which mentioned the historical wrongs done by Christians and their churches as part of world history.

Yes, reality is not their strong suit.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
23-04-2017, 09:36 PM
(23-04-2017 01:49 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  It was back when I was a Baptist when I heard that particularly one...and funny you should say "creepy". Actually not funny, because fuck what I'm about to say. The guy who wanted to become a youth minister who prayed that way was later arrested for soliciting minors for sex via the internet.

How is it that I am not surprised in the least? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
23-04-2017, 10:23 PM
(23-04-2017 09:36 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(23-04-2017 01:49 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  It was back when I was a Baptist when I heard that particularly one...and funny you should say "creepy". Actually not funny, because fuck what I'm about to say. The guy who wanted to become a youth minister who prayed that way was later arrested for soliciting minors for sex via the internet.

It has gotten awfully "christie" in here, lately...
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
24-04-2017, 09:22 AM
(23-04-2017 10:23 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(23-04-2017 09:36 PM)Chas Wrote:  How is it that I am not surprised in the least? Consider

The official term is christee™ Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
24-04-2017, 09:29 AM (This post was last modified: 24-04-2017 11:34 AM by Shai Hulud.)
(23-04-2017 09:36 PM)Chas Wrote:  

You're not even surprised he was Baptist instead of Catholic? But if I had to hazard a guess, not knowing your mind, as we're each individuals, my assumption would be because churches as organizations often lack the kind of supervisory power that even K-12 schools (another place known for pedophiles) have. Along with an ingrained repetition to trust that those in authority have been given their authority through divine right and should not be questioned; all while reinforced by a culture that often shuns bringing in outsiders to deal with what many see as a matter of faith instead of a problem best handled by secular authorities? (Also, if they do have supervisory power, it's often poorly used in favor of the victim and instead things are used to sweep it under the rug.)

(23-04-2017 10:23 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(23-04-2017 09:36 PM)Chas Wrote:  How is it that I am not surprised in the least? Consider

Sorry about that. Maybe we'll get a drive by for you all. Yes I'll try to not bring up as many religious random thoughts in the thread.

Edit: Also for a random thought, "Why do they keep trying to make our mascot look meaner? It terrifies small children already."

Need to think of a witty signature.
24-04-2017, 11:44 AM
As I sail across the Atlantic en route to Barcelona, I wonder, why does the coffee machine in the Diamond Club never work?

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
[+] 2 users Like WillHopp's post
25-04-2017, 07:23 PM
It is always a debate in every part of the world! What comes first, an egg or a chicken?
25-04-2017, 08:22 PM
(25-04-2017 07:23 PM)Helleyouse Wrote:  It is always a debate in every part of the world! What comes first, an egg or a chicken?

The egg came first, evolutionarily.
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post