25-04-2017, 08:28 PM
RE: Random thoughts
They co-evolved.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-04-2017, 08:31 PM
(25-04-2017 08:22 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(25-04-2017 07:23 PM)Helleyouse Wrote:  It is always a debate in every part of the world! What comes first, an egg or a chicken?

The egg came first, evolutionarily.

> This is true, since birds evolved from egg-laying dinosaurs.
[+] 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post
26-04-2017, 09:05 AM
If IT is serious about us changing our passwords, why do they never tell anyone how to do it?

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
26-04-2017, 10:52 AM
(26-04-2017 09:05 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  If IT is serious about us changing our passwords, why do they never tell anyone how to do it?

Because they would have to unlock ever computer when one of your highly educated co-workers locks his computer with 50 failed password attempts because he changed his password to Ponyboyl0v3r6969 and forgot he capitalized Pony.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
26-04-2017, 11:43 AM
(26-04-2017 10:52 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(26-04-2017 09:05 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  If IT is serious about us changing our passwords, why do they never tell anyone how to do it?

Because they would have to unlock ever computer when one of your highly educated co-workers locks his computer with 50 failed password attempts because he changed his password to Ponyboyl0v3r6969 and forgot he capitalized Pony.

Quite possibly. Tongue However they have like 5 days to tell us how to do it, before we're all locked out and then they have to unlock every one of us. Plus then, they also want the students to do so within a week of our deadline, so there's another 4,000 or so people who really need to know or also be locked out.

I had a moment in class the other day where I was distressed the projector wasn't working...forgot to hit the "power" button.

Need to think of a witty signature.
27-04-2017, 06:36 PM
Which crossed the road first?

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
27-04-2017, 06:58 PM
(26-04-2017 11:43 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(26-04-2017 10:52 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Because they would have to unlock ever computer when one of your highly educated co-workers locks his computer with 50 failed password attempts because he changed his password to Ponyboyl0v3r6969 and forgot he capitalized Pony.

Quite possibly. Tongue However they have like 5 days to tell us how to do it, before we're all locked out and then they have to unlock every one of us. Plus then, they also want the students to do so within a week of our deadline, so there's another 4,000 or so people who really need to know or also be locked out.

I had a moment in class the other day where I was distressed the projector wasn't working...forgot to hit the "power" button.

Not long before I retired, the company rolled out new computers that required our IT guys to spend approximately 15 minutes per user to walk them through the login security software. There are 250k people at that company, and many of us used multiple computers, especially those who accessed test and data processing facilities. I figure at $100 per hour times 250k people times .25 hours the minimum cost was just under $6M to get everybody set up. They did away with that encryption crap after about 3 months. Is it something stupid like that?
27-04-2017, 09:03 PM
(24-04-2017 09:29 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(23-04-2017 09:36 PM)Chas Wrote:  How is it that I am not surprised in the least? Consider

You're not even surprised he was Baptist instead of Catholic?

Nope. All religious organizations attract mentally ill people.

Quote:But if I had to hazard a guess, not knowing your mind, as we're each individuals, my assumption would be because churches as organizations often lack the kind of supervisory power that even K-12 schools (another place known for pedophiles) have. Along with an ingrained repetition to trust that those in authority have been given their authority through divine right and should not be questioned; all while reinforced by a culture that often shuns bringing in outsiders to deal with what many see as a matter of faith instead of a problem best handled by secular authorities? (Also, if they do have supervisory power, it's often poorly used in favor of the victim and instead things are used to sweep it under the rug.)

And, really, it was rhetorical.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
29-04-2017, 06:31 PM
You guys, I've got to say, Rebecca Black is pretty legit these days.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
29-04-2017, 06:37 PM
(29-04-2017 06:31 PM)cactus Wrote:  You guys, I've got to say, Rebecca Black is pretty legit these days.

I'm guessing she ran out of weekdays.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post