Random thoughts

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-06-2017, 07:24 AM
RE: Random thoughts
(02-06-2017 07:21 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  You know how technology can make certain words obsolete? For instance, how many times have you said, "Oh, I can't forget to tape my show!" when you mean record? While there are a few stragglers perhaps still using VCRs or cassettes for music, basically digital technology has rendered the "tape" in this instance obsolete.

When I record stuff on my PVR (usually decorating shows for my SO) I often say that I've "taped" them.

Never thought of it before, but you're right: there hasn't been "tape" involved for years.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Heath_Tierney's post
02-06-2017, 07:41 AM
I'm of the "taping" generation, and still say "Yeah I taped it" when I DVR something lol.

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
[+] 2 users Like OakTree500's post
02-06-2017, 07:51 AM
(02-06-2017 07:21 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  You know how technology can make certain words obsolete? For instance, how many times have you said, "Oh, I can't forget to tape my show!" when you mean record? While there are a few stragglers perhaps still using VCRs or cassettes for music, basically digital technology has rendered the "tape" in this instance obsolete.

I was thinking this morning, will the word "book" follow this same death knell? How any times have you asked if someone has read any good books lately? Are they books anymore if you are using a Nook, Kindle or iPad? Will we be correcting ourselves in the future and say, "Have you read any good stories lately?"

I certainly notice when people use obsolete words. Even though my old Sony Walkman was the last device I had that gave me portable music I don't own any tapes anymore.

Books are still my preference on a plane. I was given an iPad but I gave it away and I've never heard of Nook. You don't have to recharge a book and the sharing part after you've finished it is pleasing - a bequeathment kinda thing.

Somethings won't leave us, I think. Ever tried explaining 'cc' to someone who has never seen a typewriter, let alone carbon paper? Yet, there it is, on every email.

Consider

(02-06-2017 07:24 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  ...
When I record stuff on my PVR (usually decorating shows for my SO) I often say that I've "taped" them.

I can guess the V and the R but I can't think what the P stands for.

Don't tell me. It won't be long before newer technology makes 'PVR' as obsolete as 'VCR'. I've stopped bothering to learn new words.

Big Grin

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
02-06-2017, 08:01 AM
(02-06-2017 07:21 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  I was thinking this morning, will the word "book" follow this same death knell? How any times have you asked if someone has read any good books lately? Are they books anymore if you are using a Nook, Kindle or iPad? Will we be correcting ourselves in the future and say, "Have you read any good stories lately?"

Only if ebooks become more popular than paper books. It seems like the majority of people still prefer paper books.

[+] 2 users Like GenesisNemesis's post
02-06-2017, 08:20 AM
Oh man, I'm a book guy through and through. You can't beat a shelf full of books. The covers, the smell, everything.

E-readers can go blow themselves.

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
[+] 3 users Like OakTree500's post
02-06-2017, 08:21 AM
(02-06-2017 08:01 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  
(02-06-2017 07:21 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  I was thinking this morning, will the word "book" follow this same death knell? How any times have you asked if someone has read any good books lately? Are they books anymore if you are using a Nook, Kindle or iPad? Will we be correcting ourselves in the future and say, "Have you read any good stories lately?"

Only if ebooks become more popular than paper books. It seems like the majority of people still prefer paper books.

I expect it will take a much longer time for real books to become as rare as cassettes or VCR tapes because the experience is different. Whether you use a VCR or a digital recorder, the important part is the playback and that experience is identical except the digital version is often cleaner, easier to carry and store, and offers more options for skipping around. There are advantages without any real disadvantages.

With an e-book it is easier to carry and store but the rest of the experience is very different and, in my opinion anyway, inferior to that of a real book. The disadvantages, subjective as they are, outweigh the advantages. The only time I'd consider using e-books is when traveling since that's the only time their advantage is of value to me.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
02-06-2017, 09:20 AM
(02-06-2017 07:21 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  You know how technology can make certain words obsolete? For instance, how many times have you said, "Oh, I can't forget to tape my show!" when you mean record?
I don't say this, even though I'm from the VHS era. I think it's because I've always been a computer and tech geek. But I've heard under-25 people say they're taping someone while recording on their smartphones.

(02-06-2017 07:21 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  I was thinking this morning, will the word "book" follow this same death knell?
This is interesting. One group is pushing forth the use of "bookeen" so that we can differentiate. There are some books I just cannot bring myself to get in digital form.

I know younger people who say, "Don't touch that dial!" They honestly didn't know where that comes from. I haven't said that in years, opting for "Don't change the channel."

But they also don't know why aluminum foil is on those metal antennas. Or what the little box was... It's small and black, says UHF and VHF on it...
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
02-06-2017, 10:05 AM

I was thinking this morning, will the word "book" follow this same death knell? How any times have you asked if someone has read any good books lately? Are they books anymore if you are using a Nook, Kindle or iPad? Will we be correcting ourselves in the future and say, "Have you read any good stories lately?"

"Email" has replaced "mail" when it actually is an email, but I can't see "ebook" replacing "book" even if it is an ebook.
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
02-06-2017, 04:01 PM
Julia Sweeney's Letting Go of God shows up as a related video for literally every video I watch on Youtube.

Man Punching Kangaroo: Letting Go of God
Pottery tutorials: Letting Go of God
bioluminescent sea creatures: Letting Go of God
Tiny houses: Letting Go of God

Youtube, you know me well. Drinking Beverage

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
02-06-2017, 04:03 PM
Well it is the best monologue ever.
--

New idea for a Stargate fanfiction? President Trump is elected. Discloses the Stargate via Twitter tantrum.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user