Random thoughts

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-12-2016, 06:17 PM
RE: Random thoughts
And continuing on the pizza origin thought, I assume at some point some Italian made flat bread like what was imported from China, put some stuff on it including but not limited to tomatoes imported from South America, and called it pizza.

In that regards, cuisine evolves much like languages and therefore can have multiple origins. The answer to the question is therefore dependent on exactly what point of its evolutionary cycle we decide it is officially called pizza.

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-12-2016, 06:59 PM
Wow, a simple search will show the history of the modern pizza you eat today came from Napoli. Why would anyone think that because tomatoes didn't make their way to Europe until the 1500s that means Italy didn't invent pizza as we know it? That is horrible logic.

The traditional pizza we all eat that is tomato sauce, cheese and basil (in honor of the queen and the Italian flag) originated in Napoli in the late 1800s.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-12-2016, 07:13 PM
(08-12-2016 06:59 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Wow, a simple search will show the history of the modern pizza you eat today came from Napoli. Why would anyone think that because tomatoes didn't make their way to Europe until the 1500s that means Italy didn't invent pizza as we know it? That is horrible logic.

The traditional pizza we all eat that is tomato sauce, cheese and basil (in honor of the queen and the Italian flag) originated in Napoli in the late 1800s.

I actually specifically stated that Italy did invent pizza, just using things that were imported.

'Murican Canadian
08-12-2016, 07:36 PM
(08-12-2016 07:13 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(08-12-2016 06:59 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Wow, a simple search will show the history of the modern pizza you eat today came from Napoli. Why would anyone think that because tomatoes didn't make their way to Europe until the 1500s that means Italy didn't invent pizza as we know it? That is horrible logic.

I actually specifically stated that Italy did invent pizza, just using things that were imported.

Ok, good, glad we got that straightened out. Cool

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
08-12-2016, 08:09 PM
(08-12-2016 07:36 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(08-12-2016 07:13 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I actually specifically stated that Italy did invent pizza, just using things that were imported.

Ok, good, glad we got that straightened out. Cool

My pizza logic was under attack.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
08-12-2016, 08:17 PM
(08-12-2016 08:09 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(08-12-2016 07:36 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Ok, good, glad we got that straightened out. Cool

My pizza logic was under attack.

How about your Pretzel Logic?

[+] 4 users Like Fireball's post
12-12-2016, 12:53 PM
The difference between secular and Christian nonprofit Pledge Drives at the end of the year are like night and day. Listening to NPR just now, the local affiliate was going, "We'd really appreciate $10 a month, or whatever you can give, even if it's only a dollar." Compared to years of listening to K-LOVE pledge drives where once a DJ began to scream how if you had a job, you had no excuse not to donate to K-LOVE. Or tell me how people will go to Hell for never hearing the Gospel because I didn't donate. Or how women will be driven to abortions because I didn't donate. Telling me how many suicides they prevented the previous year and how I need to donate, with the implication if I don't that it's blood on my hands when people kill themselves. "I have a hard time believing that there aren’t more listeners who can’t afford $20 a month, not even the full $40." My take: Give us money, give us money, you have the money. And a direct quote from their 2013 Pledge Drive, "Don't let the Devil stop you from donating to a ministry that saves lives".

Need to think of a witty signature.
[+] 6 users Like Shai Hulud's post
12-12-2016, 01:26 PM
(12-12-2016 12:53 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  The difference between secular and Christian nonprofit Pledge Drives at the end of the year are like night and day. Listening to NPR just now, the local affiliate was going, "We'd really appreciate $10 a month, or whatever you can give, even if it's only a dollar." Compared to years of listening to K-LOVE pledge drives where once a DJ began to scream how if you had a job, you had no excuse not to donate to K-LOVE. Or tell me how people will go to Hell for never hearing the Gospel because I didn't donate. Or how women will be driven to abortions because I didn't donate. Telling me how many suicides they prevented the previous year and how I need to donate, with the implication if I don't that it's blood on my hands when people kill themselves. "I have a hard time believing that there aren’t more listeners who can’t afford $20 a month, not even the full $40." My take: Give us money, give us money, you have the money. And a direct quote from their 2013 Pledge Drive, "Don't let the Devil stop you from donating to a ministry that saves lives".

Fuckers.
[+] 4 users Like Aliza's post
12-12-2016, 01:52 PM
(12-12-2016 01:26 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(12-12-2016 12:53 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  The difference between secular and Christian nonprofit Pledge Drives at the end of the year are like night and day. Listening to NPR just now, the local affiliate was going, "We'd really appreciate $10 a month, or whatever you can give, even if it's only a dollar." Compared to years of listening to K-LOVE pledge drives where once a DJ began to scream how if you had a job, you had no excuse not to donate to K-LOVE. Or tell me how people will go to Hell for never hearing the Gospel because I didn't donate. Or how women will be driven to abortions because I didn't donate. Telling me how many suicides they prevented the previous year and how I need to donate, with the implication if I don't that it's blood on my hands when people kill themselves. "I have a hard time believing that there aren’t more listeners who can’t afford $20 a month, not even the full $40." My take: Give us money, give us money, you have the money. And a direct quote from their 2013 Pledge Drive, "Don't let the Devil stop you from donating to a ministry that saves lives".

Fuckers.

Quite. My mother donates monthly to them, because they're all she listens to on the radio. She turns off the radio during Pledge Drives because she gets so angry at them for all of that.

Need to think of a witty signature.
12-12-2016, 02:09 PM
As manufacturing and jobs become more automated, this will put millions out of work.

So whos gonna buy all the shit the robots make, with nobody having a job?

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
[+] 2 users Like bemore's post