Random washing powder question.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-07-2016, 08:02 PM
RE: Random washing powder question.
Do what you will bemore, I just can't imagine fighting over a box of detergent out of principle.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
25-07-2016, 08:12 PM
I make my own laundry detergent with a couple of boxes of borax, baking soda, oxy-clean and fels naptha bar soap. I mix it all together and grate up a couple of bars of the naptha soap and, voila!... laundry detergent! My mother used fels naptha soap as did both my grandmothers.

[Image: 075190026.jpg]

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
25-07-2016, 08:14 PM
Also, you could just mix up the powder in a cup of water, making sure it's all dissolved before you put it in the machine.
[+] 2 users Like Gilgamesh's post
25-07-2016, 08:37 PM (This post was last modified: 25-07-2016 08:42 PM by TechnoMonkey.)
I just turn on the hot water to the tub, throw in the powder, wait a bit, stir, throw in the clothes and adjust the water temperature.

The proper amount can vary due to water and the amount of grease and oils in the clothes (the amount of dirt is irrelevant). I have well water, which is hard, and it takes more soap to suds. You want the minimum amount necessary to get sudsy.

"They think, therefore I am" - god
25-07-2016, 08:38 PM
When I used to use powder, I'd dump the powder in and run the water for a couple of minutes to obviate the problem.
25-07-2016, 08:56 PM
(25-07-2016 05:13 PM)bemore Wrote:  If somebody purchased some washing powder/detergent, for cheap, from a store, and when it was used it left a residue on clothing and did not perform well.

If that person then rang the manufacturer of the washing powder/detergent and it was established that the powder/detergent was made over 8 years ago, do you think the manufacturer is liable to replace it??

Random I know lol.

No, they're not. The store that stocked it should replace the detergent.

At least in the US, the manufacturer stamps on an expiration date voluntarily or because they're required to do so by law, but it's the store who purchases the product from the manufacturer who is responsible for tracking those expiration dates or taking the steps necessary to rotate their stock to ensure older packages are sold in a timely manner.
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
25-07-2016, 09:11 PM
I take mine down to the river and beat it on a rock.

Then I do my laundry.
[+] 5 users Like pablo's post
25-07-2016, 09:32 PM
(25-07-2016 08:56 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(25-07-2016 05:13 PM)bemore Wrote:  If somebody purchased some washing powder/detergent, for cheap, from a store, and when it was used it left a residue on clothing and did not perform well.

If that person then rang the manufacturer of the washing powder/detergent and it was established that the powder/detergent was made over 8 years ago, do you think the manufacturer is liable to replace it??

Random I know lol.

No, they're not. The store that stocked it should replace the detergent.

At least in the US, the manufacturer stamps on an expiration date voluntarily or because they're required to do so by law, but it's the store who purchases the product from the manufacturer who is responsible for tracking those expiration dates or taking the steps necessary to rotate their stock to ensure older packages are sold in a timely manner.

Yabut, depending on the manufacturer, they will voluntarily come into a retailer's store and take back expired product. Sam Adams beer is an example. You will likely never find an expired ("use before" date) bottle in a store. It is just good customer relations to ensure they get what they pay for. I guess if a company sells detergent that is primarily salt (yes, it is used in detergent; it is an excellent ionic surfactant- cheap as hell, but you get what you pay for), they may not be as scrupulous.

I have a Maytag front loading washer and use the high efficiency detergent. When I worked in Florida, I had to use the laundry facilities in the rentals. I had bought a dark blue sport shirt that became a kind of grayish color. When I was done with that task and returned home, I washed that shirt in the home washing machine, and it turned dark blue again, and the whitish sailboats were again clearly visible. I used liquid detergent while in Florida, but I'll lay long odds that most other people did not. That guck got into my clothes.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
25-07-2016, 09:45 PM
(25-07-2016 09:11 PM)pablo Wrote:  I take mine down to the river and beat it on a rock.

Then I do my laundry.

Gasp Shocking Doesn't that hurt? .... Sadcryface

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
25-07-2016, 10:18 PM
(25-07-2016 09:32 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(25-07-2016 08:56 PM)Aliza Wrote:  No, they're not. The store that stocked it should replace the detergent.

Yabut, depending on the manufacturer, they will voluntarily come into a retailer's store and take back expired product. Sam Adams beer is an example. You will likely never find an expired ("use before" date) bottle in a store. It is just good customer relations to ensure they get what they pay for. I guess if a company sells detergent that is primarily salt (yes, it is used in detergent; it is an excellent ionic surfactant- cheap as hell, but you get what you pay for), they may not be as scrupulous.

I have a Maytag front loading washer and use the high efficiency detergent. When I worked in Florida, I had to use the laundry facilities in the rentals. I had bought a dark blue sport shirt that became a kind of grayish color. When I was done with that task and returned home, I washed that shirt in the home washing machine, and it turned dark blue again, and the whitish sailboats were again clearly visible. I used liquid detergent while in Florida, but I'll lay long odds that most other people did not. That guck got into my clothes.

I once worked for a company that used to get complaints from customers that the product they purchased from a mom and pop shop was (and I'm not making this up) +15 year old. We sold the product to a company who then sold it to the mom and pop shop. Yes, for larger retailers, there was a guy who went into the stores to check up on the product, but that wasn't happening at every single retailer.

Disclaimer: Hardly a professional in this field. It was a summer job, but I learned a thing or two. Smile