Rant #1

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-01-2017, 12:06 PM
Rant #1
Okay so... originally I was gonna post this in the ranting corner post.. But I feel this subject deserves its own personal thread and the subject is..

GLOSSOLAILA or speaking in tongues

This is widely practised by charismatic Christians and Pentecostal denominations
and I have a huge problem with this.

1) It's painful to listen to.
2) If God was trying to pass a message along then he would obviously incite his host in a language we'll understand, not repetitive gibberish

3) if a guy said "Cha rasma hai kento vadena" (An example of speaking in tongues)
somebody could take it and translate how they wished to.. meaning no consistent message is passed on.

4) The whole glossolalia thing stems from Acts 2:1-21, the events during Pentecost where it was said that the Disciples began speaking in different languages.. however I believe this means languages such as Greek and Latin not fabricated incomphrensible

Oh no. He's here - God
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-01-2017, 12:19 PM
RE: Rant #1
Watching the guy in the second half it's clear that he's laughing at how stupid it sounds even to him

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
10-01-2017, 12:29 PM
My interpretation of what was going on in Acts 2:1-21 is that the Apostles were speaking in their own language, and people in the crowd were hearing them in their own language. That's what "speaking in tongues" has always meant to me. I never thought of it as speaking gibberish. I don't know where that comes from.
10-01-2017, 12:35 PM
(10-01-2017 12:29 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  My interpretation of what was going on in Acts 2:1-21 is that the Apostles were speaking in their own language, and people in the crowd were hearing them in their own language. That's what "speaking in tongues" has always meant to me. I never thought of it as speaking gibberish. I don't know where that comes from.

Yeah in that sense.. Glossolalia is acceptable.. In my eyes.. Glossolalia is when a person speaks to another person in an understandable language i.e. I speak in Spanish to a Spanish congregation despite not knowing a single word of Spanish

Not random incoherent speech

Hope you get it - Cypher

Oh no. He's here - God
10-01-2017, 03:41 PM
Of course once you stick a Babelfish in your ear, you'd realize they're all fucking faking it........

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
10-01-2017, 05:15 PM
(10-01-2017 03:41 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Of course once you stick a Babelfish in your ear, you'd realize they're all fucking faking it........

Bwahaha! Thanks, Biker, I needed that.

I just had a fantastic mental image of aliens coming here with Star Trek-type Universal Translator equipment, having mastered every human language, and then strolling into a Petecostal church....

"Um, Zorbak? Is your UT working?"

"No. Is yours broken, too?"

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
10-01-2017, 05:33 PM
(10-01-2017 12:06 PM)Cypher44 Wrote:  Okay so... originally I was gonna post this in the ranting corner post.. But I feel this subject deserves its own personal thread and the subject is..

GLOSSOLAILA or speaking in tongues

This is widely practised by charismatic Christians and Pentecostal denominations
and I have a huge problem with this.

1) It's painful to listen to.
2) If God was trying to pass a message along then he would obviously incite his host in a language we'll understand, not repetitive gibberish

3) if a guy said "Cha rasma hai kento vadena" (An example of speaking in tongues)
somebody could take it and translate how they wished to.. meaning no consistent message is passed on.

4) The whole glossolalia thing stems from Acts 2:1-21, the events during Pentecost where it was said that the Disciples began speaking in different languages.. however I believe this means languages such as Greek and Latin not fabricated incomphrensible

Sorry, Cypher, I didn't mean to ignore your OP question... just that Biker cracked me up with the image that popped into my head.

It comes from Acts 2, and Paul's "gifts of the spirit" list, of which he lists speaking in tongues as the least of the Spiritual Gifts.

I grew up Southern Baptist, and they don't really do the speaking-in-tongues thing, but when I was in 9th grade, we had just moved to an area where the only Christian school available for me was a "non-denominational" one, which for some reason included a doctrine that was surprisingly similar to Pentecostalism.

Our school had two campuses, both in old churches, but only one of which (the elementary school) was an active church on the weekends... so I only attended one of their worship services during my year at that school. (There was a Christian singer named Rich Mullins who was coming to perform after the service, and I was excited to see him-- still is one of the best concerts I ever saw. He was a very talented musician.)

During the service, people began to get the "ecstasy of the spirit" and speak in tongues, which surprised me-- I had simply never witnessed it before. Then people started jumping up and "translating" the glossololia of others. I was old enough to start thinking skeptically about such things, so I jumped up and spouted off a phrase of random sounds, which a churchgoer promptly "translated" into something religious I would never have said. Thus ended my belief in the concept, and began my examination of why different denominations believed things that conflicted with one another.

It later came to a major head when an evangelist came to our SBC church and taught things about science, in denouncing evolution, that I already knew to be totally false, and I began my comparative studies in earnest... ending in eventual atheism.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
10-01-2017, 06:03 PM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2017 06:13 PM by RocketSurgeon76.)
To my fellow heathens: I've been on YouTube since I mentioned Rich Mullins, above, and remembering just how good he was. I've been thinking about Rich since I heard Seth mention him on last week's podcast. Most people only know him for the made-very-annoying-by-glassy-eyed-evangelicals tune "Awesome God", but that's not really typical of his work. It's certainly not one I enjoy. But Christian or not, he was an outstandingly talented musician.

It's not the same, listening to him on a recording, unfortunately, but I'll link to my two favorite songs, below. When he came live to the school/church, he came alone (he toured with a group called "The Ragamuffin Band", who were sadly absent for his solo show), and played for nearly four hours, with him asking for a 10 minute break in between. There were literally two dozen different instruments on the stage, and he played all of them, everything from the great harp to the drums to the hammer dulcimer. He played for two hours, then said he needed a break. We patiently waited nearly 25 minutes for him to return (the pastor gave a sermon and we sang some hymns), after which he sang for almost two more hours.

The next day I found out that the reason he took longer than his requested 10 minutes on break--requiring the preacher and music minister to do an ad-hoc extra service bit--is that he had learned people who couldn't get seating in the sanctuary were listening to him broadcast on the speaker of the nursery area. So instead of taking a break, he took his guitar and went in there to give those people an intimate mini-concert, then came back and sang the rest of his concert for us. Quite a dude.

During the 2nd half, I watched him play the song, below, and counted as he started and then maintained seven different tunes (in a canon/round), adding each after playing a couple of cycles through the previous one. Eight, I suppose, if you count the fact that he then started to sing. In the song below, he does four, I think, plus the singing tune.

This is his version of the Nicene Creed, called "Creed". Duh. Laugh out load

(Edit: changed the video, above, to a live one with decent sound recording quality, which shows him playing the dulcimer more.)

And this is my favorite of all of his work, also from the album A Liturgy, a Legacy, and a Ragamuffin Band.

(Trigger warning: he sings about Christianity. Hehe.)