Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Votes - 5 Average
07-06-2014, 07:33 PM
RE: Ranting corner
(07-06-2014 07:13 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  So... could be sent off to some military boot camp thing for 6 weeks... how's that for fucked up?

OMG!!!!!!!!

Pics or it didn't happen.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-06-2014, 10:46 PM
I keep cleaning and nothing is clean.
#firstworldproblems

(07-06-2014 07:13 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  So... could be sent off to some military boot camp thing for 6 weeks... how's that for fucked up?

Like mandatory? Only for 6 weeks?

Uh....I think we need more details here.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
08-06-2014, 01:25 AM
(07-06-2014 07:27 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  

Do they allow "the gays" in the kiwi military?

Unfortunately, yes.

I have a thing I have to go to tomorrow. That's mandatory and it's a talk thing about "limited service volunteers". I decided to look up what "limited service volunteers" is and it's a 6 week boot camp thing run by the army involving a shit ton of physical exercise with some finding a job related shit thrown in for good measure.
It would mean living on an army base (I don't know what one) for 6 weeks and:
"
tramping and river crossing
rock climbing and abseiling
the high ropes course
regular fitness training
first aid training
basic financial and budgeting skills
interview skills and an updated CV
make connections with employers and employment opportunities.
"

I bolded the ones I take issue too.
I am a well oiled, well fine tuned couch potato machine. One does not get this good at video games by wasting my time of things like physical fitness.
If they expect me to be climbing mountains, running around a track and doing push ups, they have another thing coming. And what the fuck is the internet service gonna be like out there? How am I suppose to be shooting 13 year old kids in the head on the xbox with 300ms ping??? It'll happen but it's not ideal ya know.

But I guess I'll find out more tomorrow. Suffice to say that I am not impressed if this is compulsory. At least let me shoot a gun if it is...
My biggest concern though is, 6 weeks is a fuck long time. I better have my own room, I don't need some unemployed, uneducated cunt bunking with me and by fucking god they better not have communal showers because if they do I'm not showering for 6 weeks you can believe that. And so help them god if they even mention cutting my hair.. Nobody gone touch my hair but somebody I pay to touch it for me and cut it exactly how I want.
Not to mention I have a huge fear of heights. They're not gonna be able to get me 1m up that rock wall or anywhere near that high ropes course.

Suffice to say that this is absolutely the single most horrific thing I could imagine doing in life right now. Every single tiny bit about this screams "yeah that don't work for me kthxbye".

I couldn't even imagine some drill sergeant yelling at me. If people yell at me, I yell back. This is one of the reasons I would never join the army.
"Drop and give me 20!!!!!"
"No, you drop and give me 20!!!!! why does it always have to be me giving you 20, that doesn't seem very fair now does it?"

or

"drop and give me 20!!!!"
"Yea... that doesn't work for me.. how about I drop and give you 5? Does that sound like a reasonable compromise. You get 5 and I don't have to do 20, it's a win win"

Yea, the army or anything army like is just not for me... like... at all.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
08-06-2014, 04:46 AM
I fear Muffs might be in for a blanket party. Drinking Beverage

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 2 users Like War Horse's post
08-06-2014, 06:08 AM
(08-06-2014 01:25 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(07-06-2014 07:27 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Do they allow "the gays" in the kiwi military?

Unfortunately, yes.

I have a thing I have to go to tomorrow. That's mandatory and it's a talk thing about "limited service volunteers". I decided to look up what "limited service volunteers" is and it's a 6 week boot camp thing run by the army involving a shit ton of physical exercise with some finding a job related shit thrown in for good measure.
"
the high ropes course
regular fitness training
first aid training
"

I am a well oiled, well fine tuned couch potato machine. One does not get this good at video games by wasting my time of things like physical fitness.
If they expect me to be climbing mountains, running around a track and doing push ups, they have another thing coming. And what the fuck is the internet service gonna be like out there? How am I suppose to be shooting 13 year old kids in the head on the xbox with 300ms ping??? It'll happen but it's not ideal ya know.

But I guess I'll find out more tomorrow. Suffice to say that I am not impressed if this is compulsory. At least let me shoot a gun if it is...
My biggest concern though is, 6 weeks is a fuck long time. I better have my own room, I don't need some unemployed, uneducated cunt bunking with me and by fucking god they better not have communal showers because if they do I'm not showering for 6 weeks you can believe that. And so help them god if they even mention cutting my hair.. Nobody gone touch my hair but somebody I pay to touch it for me and cut it exactly how I want.
Not to mention I have a huge fear of heights. They're not gonna be able to get me 1m up that rock wall or anywhere near that high ropes course.

Suffice to say that this is absolutely the single most horrific thing I could imagine doing in life right now. Every single tiny bit about this screams "yeah that don't work for me kthxbye".

I couldn't even imagine some drill sergeant yelling at me. If people yell at me, I yell back. This is one of the reasons I would never join the army.
"No, you drop and give me 20!!!!! why does it always have to be me giving you 20, that doesn't seem very fair now does it?"

or

"Yea... that doesn't work for me.. how about I drop and give you 5? Does that sound like a reasonable compromise. You get 5 and I don't have to do 20, it's a win win"

It'll do you good and help you too. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
08-06-2014, 06:19 AM
(08-06-2014 01:25 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(07-06-2014 07:27 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Do they allow "the gays" in the kiwi military?

Unfortunately, yes.

"
the high ropes course
regular fitness training
first aid training
"

or

Hold on, is the mandatory part the talk about the LSV, or is the LSV the mandatory part? Or are they both mandatory? That opening isn't structured too well...

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
08-06-2014, 07:25 AM
Ugh.

I just got an email from work saying Ive been "Invited and expected to attend" the company "Learning Institute." This is held every year at camp that is normally a christian youth camp. Normally this would be a slight annoyance but not that big of a deal. However...

This is a 3 day staff team building and informational class exercise. Team building activities include many physical activities including Dodge ball, and Tug of war, and "Olympics" and such. Classes are the typical brush up on your trade and new company policy shtick. This happens at at the end of August....near the end of my pregnancy.

Most people are "encouraged" to camp out the three days and not drive back and forth home. Those of us who don't (which will include me, because I'm not goning to do well in a wood bunk or tent being heavily pregnant) Will not be paid for large portions of the day:

"We encourage all team members to take advantage of the opportunity of staying overnight. If staying overnight is not an option for you, any team member can drive back and forth. You will be expected to arrive before the opening session in the morning (8:30 am) and stay until the end of the evening sessions, typically around 9pm. You will not be paid for breaks and free time activities. You will not be reimbursed for mileage: other than - if carpooling with 3 or more PCL employees, and you are the driver"

I'm not sure I'm going to be able to pull this off. I'm really worried about hurting myself or the baby at this stupid thing.

Oh...I've also been called to jury duty. What a day.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
08-06-2014, 07:39 AM
(08-06-2014 07:25 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Ugh.

I just got an email from work saying Ive been "Invited and expected to attend" the company "Learning Institute." This is held every year at camp that is normally a christian youth camp. Normally this would be a slight annoyance but not that big of a deal. However...

This is a 3 day staff team building and informational class exercise. Team building activities include many physical activities including Dodge ball, and Tug of war, and "Olympics" and such. Classes are the typical brush up on your trade and new company policy shtick. This happens at at the end of August....near the end of my pregnancy.

Most people are "encouraged" to camp out the three days and not drive back and forth home. Those of us who don't (which will include me, because I'm not goning to do well in a wood bunk or tent being heavily pregnant) Will not be paid for large portions of the day:

"We encourage all team members to take advantage of the opportunity of staying overnight. If staying overnight is not an option for you, any team member can drive back and forth. You will be expected to arrive before the opening session in the morning (8:30 am) and stay until the end of the evening sessions, typically around 9pm. You will not be paid for breaks and free time activities. You will not be reimbursed for mileage: other than - if carpooling with 3 or more PCL employees, and you are the driver"

I'm not sure I'm going to be able to pull this off. I'm really worried about hurting myself or the baby at this stupid thing.

You could get a letter from your doctor saying that you should not attend.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-06-2014, 07:44 AM
(08-06-2014 07:39 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-06-2014 07:25 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Ugh.

You could get a letter from your doctor saying that you should not attend.

I might have to. My ASL teacher was telling me they made his wife participate a couple years ago and she was as pregnant as I'm going to be. My concern is the letter wont mean anything. Oh well. I'll tough it out as much as I can.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
08-06-2014, 08:00 AM
(08-06-2014 04:46 AM)War Horse Wrote:  I fear Muffs might be in for a blanket party. Drinking Beverage

Wtf is a blanket party?

Quote:It'll do you good and help you too. Thumbsup

fuck off

Quote:Hold on, is the mandatory part the talk about the LSV, or is the LSV the mandatory part? Or are they both mandatory? That opening isn't structured too well...

The talk is mandatory, the course thing.. well I dunno yet I haven't been to the talk.

Quote:I just got an email from work saying Ive been "Invited and expected to attend" the company "Learning Institute.

Is it 6weeks of intense physical exercise? No? Than stfu. Tongue

Quote:Oh...I've also been called to jury duty.

Lucky!

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]