Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
02-10-2014, 11:42 AM
RE: Ranting corner
(02-10-2014 07:04 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  So that was the weirdest interview I've ever been too.
I honestly have no idea how it went. 50|50?

You probably did fine. Shy

Did you ask them any questions? Sometimes, that can actually be the point of an interview: inquisitiveness displays confidence and security.

Did they say they would be calling all applicants to further advise about the position... or say when they would expect to be filling the position?

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-10-2014, 01:54 PM
Fuck biochemistry.

... this is my signature!
02-10-2014, 03:57 PM
(02-10-2014 01:54 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Fuck biochemistry.

So the only cool part of chemistry you hate?

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
02-10-2014, 04:05 PM
(02-10-2014 03:57 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  

Nah, physical chemistry is where it's at. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-10-2014, 04:18 PM (This post was last modified: 02-10-2014 04:23 PM by Free Thought.)

Being based in the biological realm does not save biochem from being as bad as regular chem.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
02-10-2014, 04:35 PM

"Hate", eh? Can't remember using that word myself...

No, it's just extremely tedious to have to say, "this technique in theoretical physics apparently has some applications in biomedical imaging, therefore we deserve money".

As to explain the above in any depth requires reviewing articles from medical and biochemical journals I know nothing about... fuck it.

02-10-2014, 05:16 PM
(02-10-2014 04:35 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(02-10-2014 03:57 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  So the only cool part of chemistry you hate?

"Hate", eh? Can't remember using that word myself...

No, it's just extremely tedious to have to say, "this technique in theoretical physics apparently has some applications in biomedical imaging, therefore we deserve money".

As to explain the above in any depth requires reviewing articles from medical and biochemical journals I know nothing about... fuck it.

Pro tip: Team up with a biochemist. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-10-2014, 05:23 PM
(02-10-2014 05:16 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(02-10-2014 04:35 PM)cjlr Wrote:  "Hate", eh? Can't remember using that word myself...

Pro tip: Team up with a biochemist. Yes

As it happens, I do plan on sounding out some other departments if I carry on with my PhD in the same area...

02-10-2014, 06:20 PM
Goddammit. Angry

So, my husband's advisor is incompetent and had him take an extra science course this semester that is unnecessary for his degree in elementary ed. Science is by far his worst subject.

We applied for student loans. The financial aid office walked him through the steps and we thought everything was good. Two days before classes started and tuition was due they told him we would receive aid in September. So we emptied savings and maxed out credit cards waiting on financial aid check. Interest on credit cards is equivalent to prison sex and we were going to pay it off with the financial aid that comes at a much lower interest rate. Then one week into the semester they called and told him that he missed the deadline on a specific financial aid form they neglected to give him by two days and was told it should be fine, it would just push back disbursement by a few weeks. Last week he called again because we still haven't received the check and they told us it was about to be cut and we should receive it in the mail in a few days. Still no fucking check. He calls this afternoon and they tell him that his aid has been CANCELLED for 2014-2015 because he didn't meet the requirements for their program, since 12 of his hours are at the community college (which they have an agreement with) and 3 are at the university where his major is. Apparently he was supposed to have five at the university AND NO ONE FUCKING TOLD US!! So now money that we were counting on isn't coming in, cards are maxed, no savings, checking account is low, and I don't get paid for 8 days. I'm ready to strangle someone.

My husband is likely going to withdraw and go back to work. He stayed on as a volunteer officer just in case, and on Monday the major told him that he'd hire him back on the spot. We were already planning for me to quit soon and for me to go back and get my premed prereqs because I hate nursing. So, I guess it kinda works out. But it would have been nice to know at the beginning of the semester that we weren't going to receive aid so he could withdraw with a full refund.

Rant over.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
02-10-2014, 10:25 PM
Sooooo we decided the best course of action is for him to withdraw from school and go back to the force. Sadcryface He messaged his sergeant and is going in tomorrow to talk to the major.

Heads are going to roll at the financial aid office responsible for this fuckup.

I'm not looking forward to going back to worrying about his safety when he serves warrants on child molesters and other low life shitbags. They are likely going to put him in criminal and not CSI - he didn't like CSI, but at least I didn't have to worry about him quite as much because he served fewer warrants and didn't work many undercover details. If they don't put him back in investigations, I'll have to worry about him supervising a bunch of rookies on patrol and taking the heat any time they fuck up, not to mention he would have to respond to every domestic.

A Xanax would do me good right now. Since I don't have any benzos, I'll just have to settle with letting Benadryl knock me out.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman