Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
04-10-2014, 08:25 PM
RE: Ranting corner
(04-10-2014 08:07 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Getting asked by the MD if I've done XYZ "yet" for patient Doe at 0715 - Umm no. Are you serious? I haven't even listened to their breath sounds yet, nor have I logged onto the computer. In fact you just interrupted report from night shift and cut my info short. So no, I haven't done a swallow test yet, dropped a dobhoff and initiated tube feeds which requires cortrack guidance plus a post placement KUB to verify post pyloric placement, started a 24 hour urine cortisol collection which requires me to leave my patients to walk to the lab to get a jug, given 0800 meds including sliding scale insulin, or turned my patient to assess their sacrum for a potential pressure ulcer. I just took over as primary the second you stepped in the room, and you asking me stupid questions right now is wasting my time. "Umm okay then, can you give report on the vital sign trend for the past several hours." Fuck you. You just took over my computer and can click on the main browser and trend it yourself. Peeve - clueless assholes on a power trip.

It takes a lot less time to order tests than it takes to carry them out. Why can't people understand this simple fucking concept?

I hate taking orders from someone who is 30 and residency is the first paid job they have ever had in their life. Most fields you have to work at the bottom at some point. I'm sorry, assisting in surgery is not the bottom, nor is suturing in the ED or doing wound care with infectious disease. The process is so fucked up. I don't give a shit that you had a 4.0 in anthropology from Brown. Must be nice that mommy and daddy paid for your Ivy League education, BMW, house, designer clothes, and spring break vacations. You still don't know shit despite the Md behind your name, and it's not cool that I'm having to tell you what to order so my critical patients get what they need. But go on, make me stand here and wait for you to finish your social conversation with your colleagues while it's been 4 hours since I first needed to pee.

I hate being disrespected. I loathe it. It makes my blood fucking boil. And it's something I encounter every single fucking day I work because "I'm just a nurse."

I've been in the hospital many times for orthopaedic surgery.

Nurses do the dirty work to help people heal. I love nurses. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
04-10-2014, 09:38 PM
Thanks, Chas.

Sorry for the petty rant. It was just a really shitty thankless day from hell. It's turning into Groundhog Day.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
Find all posts by this user
05-10-2014, 04:47 AM
(04-10-2014 08:07 PM)Nurse Wrote:  I hate being disrespected. I loathe it. It makes my blood fucking boil. And it's something I encounter every single fucking day I work because "I'm just a nurse."

Hug You're *our* nurse Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
05-10-2014, 07:21 AM (This post was last modified: 05-10-2014 07:56 AM by Anjele.)
Nurse - I gotta tell ya that it was a couple nurses (probably just like you) that got me through after my mastectomies. One in particular caught something the doctors totally missed and/or dismissed.

You don't hear it often enough, but it's often the nurses that actually 'see' and 'hear' the patient when the doctors seem to just see stats. And it is appreciated.

You (and others like you) are appreciated and desperately needed for good patient care.

Heart

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 5 users Like Anjele's post
05-10-2014, 02:39 PM
(05-10-2014 07:21 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Nurse - I gotta tell ya that it was a couple nurses (probably just like you) that got me through after my mastectomies. One in particular caught something the doctors totally missed and/or dismissed.

You don't hear it often enough, but it's often the nurses that actually 'see' and 'hear' the patient when the doctors seem to just see stats. And it is appreciated.

You (and others like you) are appreciated and desperately needed for good patient care.

Heart

Nurses do seem to be the ones who actually get things done, don't they? I don't really ever remembering speaking to doctors as much as nurses and they have almost always been quite nice.

But I recall having a few hilariously bad nurses in my time; I'm sure Nurse will love one particular tale:

One time a few years back, a nurse came to take some blood (I'd almost swear they've just been syphoning me slowly for blood rather than actually testing it...) I don't even remember what was wrong with me that day.
So, she grabs the needle and stabs me with it, usual procedure, except she apparently forget everything regarding safety; she had not disinfected the area (nor numbed it..), she wasn't wearing gloves and had not even washed her hands. She then removed the main assembly of the stabby-stabby part so a vial could be placed and take the blood, but she did not have the vials with her, but at a sink a few metres away and so went to get them. My blood spewed forth in a small geyser leaving, my pants, arm and the floor coated with a surprisingly large amount of blood.
Instead of apologising for this , she looked annoyed at me, filled a vial or two and left. As if that were not be enough, I could swear remembering that I had to have more blood drawn because those samples had clotted.
My father promptly sought-out the nurses station to complain...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
05-10-2014, 11:42 PM
OMG

So I'm using my mother as a character reference for that job I had an interview for the other day. No no, it's not like that I didn't actually put her down as my mother I put her down as my school tutor (she's a teacher and she helped me with some school shit occasionally so it's not entirely a lie) and they phoned her today and had a 15minute questionnaire/chat with her about me. Obviously she said nice things about me.

Now, I don't wanna get my hopes up because if my life is anything to go on when I get my hopes up they're brutally crushed BUT I totally have high hopes that I'm gonna get this job.

So... yay!.. maybe...

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
05-10-2014, 11:46 PM
Yay muffs...got all kinds of stuff crossed for ya.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
06-10-2014, 06:52 AM
Big Grin
(05-10-2014 11:42 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
OMG

So I'm using my mother as a character reference for that job I had an interview for the other day. No no, it's not like that I didn't actually put her down as my mother I put her down as my school tutor (she's a teacher and she helped me with some school shit occasionally so it's not entirely a lie) and they phoned her today and had a 15minute questionnaire/chat with her about me. Obviously she said nice things about me.

Now, I don't wanna get my hopes up because if my life is anything to go on when I get my hopes up they're brutally crushed BUT I totally have high hopes that I'm gonna get this job.

So... yay!.. maybe...

I used my brother for a reference. Big Grin
Hope you get it! Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
06-10-2014, 09:37 AM
I think our modem is dying.

I've had to unplug it like three times this morning and restart it.

It's always something....worst part it will take forever for husband to recognize the issue and just return it and get a new one...

Grrrrrrrrrr

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

06-10-2014, 09:43 AM
(06-10-2014 09:37 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I think our modem is dying.

I've had to unplug it like three times this morning and restart it.

It's always something....worst part it will take forever for husband to recognize the issue and just return it and get a new one...

Grrrrrrrrrr

Wouldn't be a coincidence if it somehow got smashed? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user